U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:24 PM

10,716 posts, read 31,030,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygyrl777 View Post
I understand the idea of the 'overdose' is comforting to some, but let's be real. You cannot possibly be on medication for that amount of time and not know or understand the consequences. I won't believe that he was that uninformed. I hate to be the one to have to put it that way but those are my thoughts.
Its very posible that he was depressed, I read he recently broke up with the Mother of his child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 04:58 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,153,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
That's quite a stretch. I thought Brokeback was horribly campy and Anne Hathaway's performance to be mediocre at best. It is one of the most overrated movies of all time.
I completely disagree. What Ledger says here....
Asked how he felt about filming love scenes with another man, Ledger said he and his co-star Jake Gyllenhaal simply focused on their roles.

"We can't say that we weren't nervous about it," Ledger told Oprah Winfrey in 2006. "But once the first take was over, it's like, 'OK. So what? It's kissing another human being. How are we going to finish this scene? Let's get on with it and let's get out of here.' "

....is actually what I took from the movie.
IMHO, Brokeback Mountain reached a lot of people in a very good, understated, beautiful way.
Quote:
With that said, he was talented and it is a sad day. Whoever wrote "Fame and fortune don't bring you happiness" failed to mention that it also does not exempt you from depression, bipolar disorder or other mental illnesses. Who knows what really went through this person's head.
Yes.
I am sorry for his child, his family, his friends, and the loss of all the other work he might have accomplished.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:11 AM

1,889 posts, read 6,985,925 times
And what always gets me about these tragedies is that many people are prescriped benzos in addition to their other medications. You cannot die from benzos alone (say, like Marilyn Monroe- she od'd on barbiturates, very dangerous). Many docs today choose to presecribe benzos over barbiturates because of the safety issue. Do you notice how other meds are often taken in addition to the benzos (this usually happens because they taker realizes that the valium alone just doesnt do it). I've seen people take a month supply of ativan and 'wake up' 12-24 hours later wondering why they are still here....It's heartbreaking.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:10 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,856,102 times
Bet it was an accidental overdose .... wow, such a shame. For as little screen time that he had in Monster's Ball, I have to say that it was my favorite performance of his.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:31 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,153,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Bet it was an accidental overdose ...
He had pneumonia, as well.
Accidental OD is what I thought, and that's the operating theory right now.
From interviews I read, it sure seemed to me like he had a good head on his shoulders, especially for as young as he was--but who really knows.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
It's very sad. He seemed like a very "normal " chap , "unstarry" and a good actor. I am so sorry for his family and his little girl.

So young and so full of potential. A tragic loss not because he was famous but because he was a human being, like the rest of us and obviously with all the same demons and problems we too mere mortals face in our daily lives.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:04 AM

3,861 posts, read 7,416,007 times
Sad news to hear. RIP Heath.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:10 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,452,143 times
I'm blown away by this! I loved him in "10 Things I Hate About You" and his other roles were good too. I heard on the radio this morning that he was on anti depressants and had issues going on a lot didn't know about. All I could think of yesterday was his daughter. How sad! You just never know when your time will come.....

Old 01-23-2008, 10:13 AM

15,533 posts, read 35,646,549 times
How sad. I read this morning that his dad says it was an accidental overdose. Of course, the family may not want to believe it was anything other than accidental. I guess we'll all know someday soon. When I saw Heath's photo on the news article I read last night, he looked just like Andy Gibb! Another tragic loss.

On another note - the kidnapper/molester of Stevie Stayner died in prison this morning. Anybody remember that story? Stevie was kidnapped in the 70's, then escaped from his kidnapper yeras later, with another boy who had been kidnapped. Stevie was killed in a motorcycle accident at a young age, then his brother became a serial killer. Weird, tragic, sad story there.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:49 AM

8,737 posts, read 6,173,776 times
I saw the movie based on that kidnapping Twinkle toes. very tragic.

I hear Heath Ledger's last film was finished. He probably will get an oscar for it.
But now they're saying he was on drugs real bad lately, who knows.. it could be just talk. I don't really believe it was an accidental OD on sleepingpills, Maybe he'd had enough of depression...and the breakup with his child's mother was a final straw.
It's sad for his family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities