Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:52 PM

730 posts, read 2,253,890 times

Advertisements

I have often wondered this myself. If an actor or musician is good at their craft the result will be the members of the public thinking " I have got to see their next movie" or "I'm going to by their next CD"- and ultimately being curious about them as a person.I can't imagine launching a career in one of these fields and thinking " I hope no one notices me, so I can have some privacy."The fans are the reason that these people can demand big bucks for their next role or role or recording contract.

That being said, there is a big difference in media coverage and the somehow legal stalking know as the paparazzi.
There are certain stars that would not be stars if he weren't for publications such as TMZ and trash magazines. Example: Paris Hilton and Lohan (come on people- does her acting really blow you away"?)Not trying to be a hypocrite- I admit I am guilty of reading this stuff.
On the other side of the spectrum you have stars such as Heath Ledger, who IMO had great talent and was trying to maintain that balance of appriciation for his fans and keep the roles coming-and at the same time trying to raise his daughter his daughter in a non-hollywood fashion. I think his uneasiness with the media was partially fear of becoming tabloid trash. Most celebs fall in one of these catagories, if you think about it. Even if we contribute to the media grind I think we all realize that there are 2 groups of celebs we are reading about. Those with talent and those who are train wrecks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 01:46 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,874 times
Wouldn't matter to me because for the most part, I don't really pay attention to celebrities' lives.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:17 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
If it's not about their professional life I have no interest. I can genuinely and honestly say I have NEVER in my life bought, borrowed or read a "celebrity gossip" magazine or watched a "celebrity" programme. Until I came on this forum I had never heard of Paris Hilton or Lindsey Lohan and my life was richer and better without this trivial knowledge too. I feel exploited and cheapened as well as patronised by a media so hell-bent on selling copies that they will do anything to raise the profiles of people who let's face it shouldn't even be let out in public in the first place.

There are two categories of famous people in my opinion. The talented and interesting people and the rest. "Celebrities" as we understand the word come in the second category.

I do not see why anyone would be interested in anyone's private life ? It's theirs and let's face it it's boring.

I do believe celebrities do have a right to privacy , though yes some do exploit their fame when they want then moan about it later.
The exploitation does go both ways. It still does not make it right though.

To me though the real question is why anyone would want to see pictures of celebrities doing their shopping, putting their garbage out or playing tennis at the week-end ? It genuinely puzzles me.

Because of media saturation it is getting harder and harder to keep ignorant of celebrities' life and I resent that.

It means that I now have to actually actively keep un-informed.

Most celebrities ( especially the ones the public crave) are usually no-talent, brain dead boring creatures with the IQ of a comatose halibut and the intellectual or societal interest of earth-wroms.

Our society seems to value fame over talent and achievement and it bothers and worries me too.

I do not wish to live vicariously through other people's lives. I have a life and do not want to be told of others in whom I have no interest whatsoever.

Wouldn't it be good to actually be interested in people who have large pools of talent, and an interesting , intelligent life ? Not for their private lives but for the contributions their work makes to modern culture ?

Old 02-18-2008, 06:40 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
To add to this, I weas watching showbiz tonight last night.. there appears to be talk of a new law they're calling "Britney's law" where the paparazzi would have boundries and have to be licensed. Kate Hudson is also asking that they make it illegal to photograph celebrity kids without permission 1st.

I do think something is needed as it's starting to get out of hand with the swarms of people buying cameras & trying to break into this field looking to have the million dollar photo. Look what happened to Princess Di. It used to be that the photogs were decent.. they'd ask 1st about the kids, but now anything goes.

They showed a clip from when Britney was taken from her house to the hospital, all of the photographers, police, helicopter; it was a mad house. It cost taxpayers $25,000

At another forum I go to, one of the members lives on the street where Britney & Kevin got married. She posted about the events on her street that night, it was not a nice story. She was pretty much trapped in her own home. Damage was done to surrounding houses, it was a mess.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-18-2008 at 06:53 AM..

Old 02-18-2008, 09:58 PM

730 posts, read 2,253,890 times
Just adding more.. I just saw an article on my MSN homepage that is just a reminder that the media is going too far.....especially when it comes to celebritiy's children. Ryan Phillipe just did an interview in which he stated that his daughter Ava(whom is all of 9 or 10) worries about what she has on each and every time she steps out of the house because she knows her friends at school will all see the newspapers and magazines featuring her pictures. She is afraid they will comment on what she is wearing.I have a child her age- not for one second has my child worried about things like that.(Do most 10 year olds??) IMO this is sad.Maybe Kate Hudson is justified in asking for a bill making it illegal to snap pictures of minors without permission.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:41 AM

23,862 posts, read 33,533,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
Just adding more.. I just saw an article on my MSN homepage that is just a reminder that the media is going too far.....especially when it comes to celebritiy's children. Ryan Phillipe just did an interview in which he stated that his daughter Ava(whom is all of 9 or 10) worries about what she has on each and every time she steps out of the house because she knows her friends at school will all see the newspapers and magazines featuring her pictures. She is afraid they will comment on what she is wearing.I have a child her age- not for one second has my child worried about things like that.(Do most 10 year olds??) IMO this is sad.Maybe Kate Hudson is justified in asking for a bill making it illegal to snap pictures of minors without permission.

A few other celes have said the same thing. I feel so bad that these kids have to be dragged into this. Before you know it, they very well may be having body image problems like Nicole did.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:27 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,229,511 times
I think the problem with celebrities is that we as a society regard celebs as communal property. We can write about them whatever we want and there is nothing they can do about it since celebs are always in the minority.
The fact that our society sustains the aggressive paparazzi is evidence that there is something fundamentally wrong with our society and / or how we view celebs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities