U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:08 PM

1,703 posts, read 3,452,675 times

Advertisements

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here so don't attack me, ok?

I'm just really curious if people would like it if we weren't privvy to what the stars are doing? Many posts blast the papparazzi and say how they wish they would leave the poor stars alone. But at the same time, aren't we the same ones buying Us Weekly, watching TMZ, and reading all the gossip on the internet as much as we can? Does that make us hypocrites for saying in one breath "Poor so and so, I wish they would leave them alone" and then turning around and reading or watching something about them?

I personally believe that when one chooses a career in the spotlight whether it's acting, modeling, sports, etc., they open themselves up to a certain amount of scrutiny from the masses. We, afterall, are the ones who make them rich by going to movies, sporting events, etc. However, I do think they deserve some degree of privacy too. I believe many of them "ask" for the attention.

After reading about Heath Ledger not enjoying being in the spotlight, it just got me wondering. I know they are only people but do they not understand how much of an envied position they are in with all that money and fans? And do they not realize that when they choose to be actors, they are going to be famous and fans will want to know what they are doing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 12:22 PM

8,567 posts, read 14,518,646 times
Just because movie-stars become famous doesn't mean that fame should be the prize for being a good actor. Wanting to be the best actor, singer or whatever, is something entirely different as wanting to be famous. One could even become famous without having any talent at all.
I mean being famous means that you'll be regarded as a role model and some people don't like carrying that much responsibility. I sincerely doubt a Britney Spears regards herself a role model to her (young) fans and that could very well be because no one as ever been a role model to her. They only see celebrities, but no one they consider to be worthy to emulate as a celebrity.
I mean they probably want to imitate Michael Jackson’s talent, but not his life-style. Growing up as a celebrity is not the same as having a normal youth.
Unfortunately our society doesn't give a damn.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:45 PM

413 posts, read 1,673,093 times
I agree with most of what the OP says.
I have often wondered why the stars get so bent out of shape when their privacy is gone when they knew very well BEFORE the fame that it's going to be that way. I see it like this:
STAR: Doing a job he/she enjoys, getting paid pretty fat salaries to do it, deal with alot of stress (just like us regular folk), and be envied and worshipped by the blind masses of wannabe's.
NON-STAR (AKA:Slaves): Doing a job he/she doesn't particularly enjoy, getting paid enough to get by, deal with a very high level of stress, and be overlooked and ignored by the fellow slave masses.
Well, that's a pretty harse comparison I just made, and I know I'm probably waaaaaay off keel there. I just always thought it would be a better quality of life to be well-off and famous than have to struggle to put food on the table. But the grass is always greener I guess...

Old 01-25-2008, 09:17 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,994,830 times
Oh, boo-hoo...poor celebrities. Hollywood is so fake and so are most of it's elite star crowd. They have fame & fortune and still aren't content, they want to be left alone too ! I think those are the chances one takes when in the limelight !

Old 01-26-2008, 06:45 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,158,807 times
You are correct, Austinsmom, the press would not follow this stuff if there was not such an appetite for it. There must be plenty of folks out there who regularly peruse TMZ, have a subscription to People, and even buy those wacky newspapers at the check-out stand.
And people like Brittney and Lindsay provide plenty of fodder for the press.
Having said that, I don't paint all those celeb types with the same brush.
I think there are as many different types of celebrities as there are people.
Some revel in publicly enjoying their achievements, some don't.
Some of them live large, some don't.
How many juicy scandals have we read about Paul Newman, Bill Macy, Mark Ruffalo; or Glenn Close, Laura Linney, or Meryl Streep?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:01 AM

45 posts, read 90,502 times
Absolutely agree with you - all these gossips around them are necessary for them otherwise they wouldn't be that rich) that's what i really think)

Old 02-09-2008, 08:58 AM

11,425 posts, read 16,662,632 times
I don't understand why people even want to know anything about these people, i could care less about any of them.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:07 AM

8,738 posts, read 6,175,147 times
Isn't the reason a lot of people want to be in showbusiness, to be famous? It's a double edged sword maybe but a choice they made, all "jobs" have a negative side.
Famous people need to make up their mind; they cry when no one wants to know about them and they cry at too much attention. It seems like many are unsure and insecure and don't have a clue what they want to be when they grow up.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:46 PM

9,181 posts, read 20,208,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I don't understand why people even want to know anything about these people, i could care less about any of them.

Guess you didn't read Hijacking and off-topic posts

Welcome to the Entertainment forum.

If you aren't interested in a particular topic, please don't spoil a thead by posting responses to it that are not useful or pertinent, or that hijack the topic.

For example, if the topic is Favorite Country Music Performers, it's not useful or pertinent to merely post "I hate county music." If the topic is Lindsey Lohan's latest escapade, it's not useful or pertinent to post "Anyone who is interested in Lindsey Lohan's life is pathetic." Posts like these contribute nothing to the discussion, and often are the beginning of off-topic arguing. They will be deleted. You are welcome to start your own threads (ex. "Why I hate country music"), but don't hijack other people's threads.

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a DM.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:40 PM

11,425 posts, read 16,662,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Guess you didn't read Hijacking and off-topic posts

Welcome to the Entertainment forum.

If you aren't interested in a particular topic, please don't spoil a thead by posting responses to it that are not useful or pertinent, or that hijack the topic.

For example, if the topic is Favorite Country Music Performers, it's not useful or pertinent to merely post "I hate county music." If the topic is Lindsey Lohan's latest escapade, it's not useful or pertinent to post "Anyone who is interested in Lindsey Lohan's life is pathetic." Posts like these contribute nothing to the discussion, and often are the beginning of off-topic arguing. They will be deleted. You are welcome to start your own threads (ex. "Why I hate country music"), but don't hijack other people's threads.

If you have any questions, please feel free to send me a DM.
Not really a hyjack at all, I'm posting about the topic, it's just that I don't get why so many people think these actors are so great and want to know so much about them, honestly if they don't like the attention they don't have to go out to public places, they can go to private clubs so really they must like it.
Hypocrites? sure they are. i really didn't mean to upset anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities