U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 07:50 AM

20,938 posts, read 32,935,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Lucky you Dave, would love to have met Jimmy Stewart. very nice man... saw Mickey in his one man show.. fantastic and wish Id stayed behind to buy his CD.. but got rushed out by hubby... ...I watched the Heiress just recently and oh how I loved when she changed and told her aunt..............He came back here with the same lies. The same silly phrases. He has grown greedier with the years. The first time he only wanted my money. Now he wants my love, too. Well, he came to the wrong house. And he came twice. I shall see that he doesn’t come a third time. her facial expressions from sad to stern and intense then back again to a sad was electric.. wonderful actress and her acting at its best.. Olivia lives alone in Paris, and gives readings in the local church.. lovely woman..
Great take on her performance in The Heiress; her portrayal of Catherine Sloper was so seamlessly nuanced it took my breath away.
My favorite line follows your quote.

Aunt Penniman: How can you be so cruel?

Catherine: I can be very cruel, Aunt. I was taught by masters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 08:57 AM

9,360 posts, read 8,749,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Great take on her performance in The Heiress; her portrayal of Catherine Sloper was so seamlessly nuanced it took my breath away.

Yes! One of my favorite Olivia de Havilland movies. Another one being "Not As a Stranger".

Old 06-30-2017, 03:40 PM

13,910 posts, read 13,575,647 times
On the eve of her 101st birthday, two-time Oscar winner Olivia de Havilland has announced she is suing FX and producer Ryan Murphy over the unauthorized use of her identity in "Feud: Bette and Joan,"...

Olivia de Havilland sues FX over unauthorized use of her identity in 'Feud: Bette and Joan' - LA Times

Old 07-05-2017, 03:30 AM

22,279 posts, read 5,515,567 times
Quote:

'The Heiress' is a beautiful film, great acting from all, and fabulous direction from the master, William Wyler. He was also at the helm for most of Bette Davis's best movies.

When Olivia dies it will truly be the end of the golden age of the movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLXzow5YP7U

Old 07-05-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
'The Heiress' is a beautiful film, great acting from all, and fabulous direction from the master, William Wyler. He was also at the helm for most of Bette Davis's best movies.

Thank you for sharing the video, ED, and for reminding me how absolutely NUTS I was over Montgomery Clift when I was a teenager!
Of the many memorable performances of Olivia's, so many worthy performances have been forgotten. One of my particular favorites was her turn as a protective mother struggling to allow her mentally disabled daughter room to pursue love and marriage in The Light In The Piazza:

Light in the Piazza (1962) - IMDb

Old 07-05-2017, 08:54 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,510,517 times
Quote:

oh her face there when she realized that Morris was actually away to get her claret cup ...

Old 07-05-2017, 08:57 AM

GO GIRL let him bang on that door calling out your name... leave him to wait the way he did to you..

https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/102879172714235638/

Old 07-05-2017, 09:02 AM

"To play de Havilland's emotionally distant father Wyler turned to Ralph Richardson, who had done the role in London. On his first day of shooting, Richardson asked Wyler how he should play a simple scene in which he comes in, hangs up his coat and awakens his sleeping daughter. When Wyler said there didn't seem to be too many different ways of doing it, Richardson astonished him by showing him six subtly different approaches to the moment. His professional poise threatened de Havilland and Clift, however. She felt he was trying to steal scenes from her by doing little bits of business in the background, not realizing that Wyler had instructed cinematographer Leo Tover to keep Richardson's bits outside the camera frame. Clift complained that Richardson never changed what he was doing from take to take, making it harder for him to try different things.

At the same time, Clift and de Havilland had their own difficulties. Although she appreciated what he was doing, the actress thought Clift was working almost totally for himself, shutting her out of their scenes together. Yet she had to acknowledge that that helped her performance, since her character felt alienated from the real world and shut out of life. Clift, however, complained that all de Havilland did was learn the lines, then show up and ask Wyler how she should play the part. This, he thought, wasn't real acting. When Wyler started giving him notes in front of the cast, Clift retaliated by staying in his dressing room with his acting coach until it was time to shoot his scenes.
https://www.alsolikelife.com/shootin...-william-wyler I really liked the girl who played her maid.. http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/life/851-1.jpg

Last edited by dizzybint; 07-05-2017 at 09:17 AM..

Old 07-05-2017, 11:47 AM

22,279 posts, read 5,515,567 times
Quote:
Thank you for sharing the video, ED, and for reminding me how absolutely NUTS I was over Montgomery Clift when I was a teenager!
You liked Monty huh LovinD? He was a great actor who died young. Here he is with the most beautiful woman in the world - or so my dad said to me when I was a kid..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEuFNnJSIw8

Last edited by English Dave; 07-05-2017 at 12:11 PM..

Old 07-05-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
You liked Monty huh LovinD? He was a great actor who died young. Here he is with the most beautiful woman in the world - or so my dad said to me when I was a kid..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEuFNnJSIw8
That movie was everything to me as a teenage girl. The exquisite tragedy of it all.
Another movie I obsessed upon as a girl...Father of the Bride. Ms. Taylor was God's gift to the screen.
But I digress; we're talking about Ms. DeHavilland here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or