U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 04:40 PM

13,501 posts, read 14,029,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Wow pekemom....... you don't like John Wayne?........ I thought everybody loved the Duke! I find him, unlike many stars of his early fame, very watchable even now.

I am a massive classic film fan. I have dozens of books from the 30s, 40s and 50s full of articles, and photos of stars of that period, Plus many DVDs.

I grew up watching those old movies which were regularly on television, especially in the 60s. Many of the stars of that time, are now quite uninteresting. The films are obviously very dated to today's eyes.

A few are still very watchable. James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, Judy Garland and Spencer Tracy among them. But for me, John Wayne still has great charisma and appeal. Many thought he was only playing himself, and dismiss him as a great actor. I disagree. In a few of his films, he reached the heights of perfection, as an actor, and as a representative of an American for the world to see.

His last film, The Shootist, is a fabulous farewell to his fans around the world.
I never liked Wayne either. As you mentioned for me he was the same in every movie, I did not find him charismatic at all. the only film I liked him in was Quiet Man. Didn't find him compelling in The Shootist either. I can see where his image represented and American ideal, but did not find him to be as good an actor as most of his contemporaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 07:26 PM

8,265 posts, read 4,452,503 times
Quote:
Wow pekemom....... you don't like John Wayne?........ I thought everybody loved the Duke! I find him, unlike many stars of his early fame, very watchable even now.

I am a massive classic film fan. I have dozens of books from the 30s, 40s and 50s full of articles, and photos of stars of that period, Plus many DVDs.

I grew up watching those old movies which were regularly on television, especially in the 60s. Many of the stars of that time, are now quite uninteresting. The films are obviously very dated to today's eyes.

A few are still very watchable. James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, Judy Garland and Spencer Tracy among them. But for me, John Wayne still has great charisma and appeal. Many thought he was only playing himself, and dismiss him as a great actor. I disagree. In a few of his films, he reached the heights of perfection, as an actor, and as a representative of an American for the world to see.

His last film, The Shootist, is a fabulous farewell to his fans around the world.
Isn't there a rumor that John Ford tried to convince him to serve in WW2 and he still said, "No."
I much prefer someone like James Stewart or Ossie Davis to represent what an American can be because they did serve.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:31 PM

18,721 posts, read 4,725,467 times
Quote:

He was probably a nice man, I just didn't care for his roles....I liked the others you mentioned though.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:59 AM

22,415 posts, read 5,552,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Isn't there a rumor that John Ford tried to convince him to serve in WW2 and he still said, "No."
I much prefer someone like James Stewart or Ossie Davis to represent what an American can be because they did serve.
I believe that is true about John Ford. At the time, John Wayne was the father of three young children I seem to remember. He didn't join up for various reasons. I do believe he regretted this in later years. Ford punished him in the credits for the film, 'They Were Expendable' in 1945. The other stars who served, were referred to in the credits by their forces rank.........

I understand where you're coming from with James Stewart. I met him in 1975, while he was appearing in the play 'Harvey' in London. In reality, he was everything he appeared to be in movies. A true American hero, and a class act.

Old 07-07-2016, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
He was probably a nice man, I just didn't care for his roles....I liked the others you mentioned though.
What I have read from others who knew John Wayne in reality, he was a real nice man. He was an old fashioned patriot, which seemed to rub some people up the wrong way.

It was a rocky road before he became a star. He was around in films for nine years, before he made 'Stagecoach,' directed by John Ford. This was the film that made him a major star.

Ford used Wayne for years, but didn't consider him a particularly good actor. Then, Wayne made 'Red River' directed by Howard Hawks. Ford saw Wayne in a new light after that, and they went on to make the great movies associated with them both.

For me, 'The Searchers' made in 1956, is the height of both of their careers. Nobody else but John Ford, brought the best out of John Wayne as an actor. This film, for me, is among the greatest ever made in Hollywood.

Old 07-07-2016, 06:42 AM

4,878 posts, read 4,591,169 times
Spencer Tracy
George Sanders
Humphrey Bogart
Bing Crosby
Charlton Heston

Katherine Hepburn
Ava Gardner
Ethel Merman
Ann Miller

Old 07-07-2016, 06:55 AM

326 posts, read 115,983 times
John Wayne was an OK actor. He wasn't my favorite actor but he's just OK. I like him in some movie roles but not in others

Old 07-07-2016, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Checker View Post
John Wayne was an OK actor. He wasn't my favorite actor but he's just OK. I like him in some movie roles but not in others
Some of his later roles seem like he is just going through the motions. But a few, are interesting. I thought 'The Cowboys' was a real good story, and movie.

He was an acting giant, compared to some of today's so called stars........

Old 07-07-2016, 09:32 AM

4,961 posts, read 4,682,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
I do not know why he hit me wrong but I never liked Johnny Weissmüller aka Tarzan.

If you read the Edgar Rice Burroughs "Tarzan" books, you'd hate every "Tarzan" movie ever made.

"Unh. Me Tarzan, you Jane. Oongawa." What a bunch of crap.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:02 AM

5,138 posts, read 642,825 times
1. Although I am certainly not a huge John Wayne fan, he was really good playing comedy in McClintock with Maureen O'Hara. (Also liked them together in The Quiet Man.)

2. I didn't like the first Tarzan movies OR the first Tarzan book (the only one I read) -- talk about crap, the idea that a child left to be raised by apes at the age of barely one could teach himself to read . . . PUH-LEAZE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or