U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:17 AM

4,931 posts, read 4,642,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
2. I didn't like the first Tarzan movies OR the first Tarzan book (the only one I read) -- talk about crap, the idea that a child left to be raised by apes at the age of barely one could teach himself to read . . . PUH-LEAZE!

Had you read more than "Tarzan of the Apes", you'd have found that Tarzan was among the world's most skilled linguists, able to speak Mangani (ape language), French, English, Oparian, Pal-ul-donian, the language of the Ant-Men (Veltopismakusian?), and several others. Teaching himself to read English would not be beyond belief for one so skilled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 11:38 AM

22,227 posts, read 5,502,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Had you read more than "Tarzan of the Apes", you'd have found that Tarzan was among the world's most skilled linguists, able to speak Mangani (ape language), French, English, Oparian, Pal-ul-donian, the language of the Ant-Men (Veltopismakusian?), and several others. Teaching himself to read English would not be beyond belief for one so skilled.
Wow...... I didn't know Tarzan was so talented! I thought he just swung through the trees, yelling, aaaaaahhaaahhhhaaaaaaar...........

Old 07-07-2016, 11:41 AM

3,491 posts, read 1,208,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Wow pekemom....... you don't like John Wayne?........ I thought everybody loved the Duke! I find him, unlike many stars of his early fame, very watchable even now.

I am a massive classic film fan. I have dozens of books from the 30s, 40s and 50s full of articles, and photos of stars of that period, Plus many DVDs.

I grew up watching those old movies which were regularly on television, especially in the 60s. Many of the stars of that time, are now quite uninteresting. The films are obviously very dated to today's eyes.

A few are still very watchable. James Stewart, Humphrey Bogart, Judy Garland and Spencer Tracy among them. But for me, John Wayne still has great charisma and appeal. Many thought he was only playing himself, and dismiss him as a great actor. I disagree. In a few of his films, he reached the heights of perfection, as an actor, and as a representative of an American for the world to see.

His last film, The Shootist, is a fabulous farewell to his fans around the world.
Agreed- Wayne wasn't much of an actor. He was VERY limited in the roles he could play. The Shootist was one of the few films he made that wasn't entirely predictable.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:47 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,151,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
H.B. Warner? Didn't he play Jesus Christ in the old silent King of Kings in about 1926? Next thing I remember him in was Sunset Boulevard in 1950. I wouldn't describe him as a classic film star.

I can take or leave Gary Cooper, and don't understand his appeal as a major movie star of his time.
Concerning Gary Cooper:

He was one of the greatest actors of all time. His control of his facial expressions to fit the situation was the key. He didn't have to be real animated and full of life to fit a roll because he could say it all with his facial messaging. But you have to watch close to see it. For a long time I thought he was a boring actor until I saw what was going on.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:50 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,151,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I never liked Wayne either. As you mentioned for me he was the same in every movie, I did not find him charismatic at all. the only film I liked him in was Quiet Man. Didn't find him compelling in The Shootist either. I can see where his image represented and American ideal, but did not find him to be as good an actor as most of his contemporaries.
I agree. Wayne was a wooden actor meaning he had that wooden way of saying things. The only rolls that Wayne was good in is when the screen play was written specifically for him in mind. Thats just my opinion but no I never cared for him.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Concerning Gary Cooper:

He was one of the greatest actors of all time. His control of his facial expressions to fit the situation was the key. He didn't have to be real animated and full of life to fit a roll because he could say it all with his facial messaging. But you have to watch close to see it. For a long time I thought he was a boring actor until I saw what was going on.
I read something once about Gary Cooper. The writer was expressing watching Cooper act before a camera. He was close by, and when the director said 'cut', he noted, "but he didn't do anything."

What he meant was, he as a layman watching, didn't see any evidence of acting. The director knew, as you say, it was all in slight facial movements, and the eyes. Acting for a camera, is very different to acting on a stage.

Nevertheless, I have watched Gary Cooper in many films. From silent performances in movies like 'Wings', through the peak of his career in films like 'The Plainsman', 'Meet John Doe', and of course, 'Sergeant York.' He just doesn't do it for me, although I acknowledge his massive popularity with especially American audiences.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:30 PM

326 posts, read 114,918 times
One thing I strongly dislike about John Wayne is his seriousness. During most of his films, he always looked so stern and serious,like he wasn't having fun. Didn't the guy ever laugh?

Old 07-08-2016, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Checker View Post
One thing I strongly dislike about John Wayne is his seriousness. During most of his films, he always looked so stern and serious,like he wasn't having fun. Didn't the guy ever laugh?
I seem to remember when I was a kid, seeing John Wayne send himself up in telly shows. One in particular I recall was in Lucille Ball's show. Also, in the late 60s he appeared before an audience of anti-war students. One asked him if his hair was real. Wayne replied, sure it's real hair....... just not mine......

Another time, while in full western costume, Wayne was traveling from one film set to another. He stopped the vehicle to use a rest room in a bar. Apparently, he ambled through there in full view of the bar patrons. Nodded at everyone, and said, "good afternoon"....... I sure wish I'd been there to see the reaction.

His children have talked of their father, and said he was a great guy, and yes, very funny. I guess the sort of roles he played didn't have many laughs, but I thought he was very funny in 'True Grit.'

Old 07-08-2016, 10:44 AM

5,046 posts, read 599,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby Checker View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Cbh2UqXk-s

(Warning: This is not exactly the most PC movie that has ever been made, but I thought it was very humorous.)

Old 07-09-2016, 10:29 AM

4,651 posts, read 3,019,005 times
Not sure if she's classic but Marilyn Monroe had zero acting ability. Attractive? Sure but there were many as attractive or more so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or