U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 10:52 AM

3,860 posts, read 2,911,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Isn't there a rumor that John Ford tried to convince him to serve in WW2 and he still said, "No."
I much prefer someone like James Stewart or Ossie Davis to represent what an American can be because they did serve.
After Pearl Harbor Wayne had a deferment because he was married and had kids. Later when there was a shortage of draft age men the deferment was rescinded and he was for a short time eligible for the draft. The movie company he worked for successfully applied for a deferment because he was essential to the war effort in a civilian capacity. He could have volunteered at this time but did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2016, 12:21 PM

22,294 posts, read 5,518,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Not sure if she's classic but Marilyn Monroe had zero acting ability. Attractive? Sure but there were many as attractive or more so.
At the time of Marilyn's early stardom in the period say 1952-56, there were a lot of blondes in the movies. She became a star without a studio pushing this to be so. The public spotted her, and took her to their hearts. 20th Century Fox knew this from the massive amount of fan mail sent to her.

She had something more than just good looks. A vulnerability that that came right through the screen...... this also comes across in still photos.

She has few great films. Some good ones yes, like 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.' and 'How To Marry a Millionaire.' Luckily for us, she left us with one comic masterpiece, which is of course, 'Some Like It Hot.' It's hard to imagine any blonde actress of that period, who could have bettered Marilyn's performance in this film.

This came at a price of course. By the time of making this film, Marilyn was in a bad place mentally. She put her co-stars and director through the wringer making this movie. Billy Wilder, said he was so angry at women in general, he wanted to hit his wife........ But, a few years after Marilyn's death, he was struggling making a film with another actress. She just wasn't giving him what he wanted. He admitted to himself, "what this film needs is Marilyn Monroe."

Marilyn had a limited talent, but what she had was just delicious. There has never been any actress since that has come within miles of her comic ability. Just watch her in 'Some Like It Hot'........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD3r8xx3iX8

Old 07-09-2016, 04:56 PM

3,431 posts, read 2,760,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
At the time of Marilyn's early stardom in the period say 1952-56, there were a lot of blondes in the movies. She became a star without a studio pushing this to be so. The public spotted her, and took her to their hearts. 20th Century Fox knew this from the massive amount of fan mail sent to her.
Monroe was a very talented comedian...IMO. It does take a lot of intelligence to play that dumb, as they say. Someone with zero charm or acting ability would never have been able to deliver the performances that she did. Not every woman, or even every gorgeous woman, can walk like that, or make those lines seem funny. Humour is a matter of taste, though, I realize that... I just happen to find MM hilarious. Some Like It Hot, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, How to Marry a Millionaire, The Seven Year Itch... great comedy performances in all of them. Don't underestimate the attention to nuance that she had.

Classic actors I wish I liked more than I do:

Gary Cooper - Very handsome, but just too wooden
William Holden - Another good looking actor, and too bland for me
Barbara Stanwyck - Don't understand her appeal
Joan Crawford - Just cannot watch her without thinking of Faye Dunaway in "Mommy Dearest"
Faye Dunaway - Now that I think about it, don't much care for Dunaway either

Old 07-09-2016, 07:06 PM

4,659 posts, read 3,031,222 times
Quote:
Marilyn had a limited talent, but what she had was just delicious. There has never been any actress since that has come within miles of her comic ability. Just watch her in 'Some Like It Hot'........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD3r8xx3iX8

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:11 AM

I hate to admit it, of someone I really liked when I was a kid, but I find Bette Davis very hard to watch nowadays.

She was considered in her time, one of the great film actresses. I now find her, except in a couple of films, very mannered. In fact, in some movies, she overacts massively, almost to the point of chewing the furniture.

She spins around a lot, and waves her cigarette laden hand around too much for my liking. But, for me, what saves her reputation are a few fantastic performances. In Jezabel, The Little Foxes, and especially, The Old Maid, she is very good.

She tended to act well for the director William Wyler, who seemed to know how to calm her down, and get her to act in a less mannered style. But even so, I just can't watch her anymore except in a few films.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:48 AM

6,044 posts, read 3,640,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Isn't there a rumor that John Ford tried to convince him to serve in WW2 and he still said, "No."
I much prefer someone like James Stewart or Ossie Davis to represent what an American can be because they did serve.
Another well known actor of that time who did join was Gene Autry. He became a pilot and flew transport planes over the "hump" (India-Burma-China) delivering supplies to the Chinese armies. A very dangerous assignment - a third of the planes didn't make it.

But you never read that about him, just stuff about his movies/songs.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Another well known actor of that time who did join was Gene Autry. He became a pilot and flew transport planes over the "hump" (India-Burma-China) delivering supplies to the Chinese armies. A very dangerous assignment - a third of the planes didn't make it.

But you never read that about him, just stuff about his movies/songs.
Many actors served in the armed forces during the war. Even little Mickey Rooney........ I saw him in a show he did about ten years ago. He talked about the war while on stage, and asked wistfully if there were any veterans in the audience. There were not sadly.

I love Mickey Rooney movies, but in many of his films he mugs shamelessly, and I find that hard to watch. But, when he sings, and performs with Judy Garland, I forgive him!!

Old 07-10-2016, 10:10 AM

1,109 posts, read 762,443 times
I could never take to the late Joan Crawford.

I thought and still think that she was harsh and garish-looking.

And it had nothing to do with the book "Mommie Dearest", which I borrowed from a friend and read from cover to cover. I already loathed Joan Crawford and loathed her more after devouring that book.

I have to grudgingly admit that she was very good starring with the late great Bette Davis in "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?"
That film is such a classic.

Of course, Joan Crawford and Bette Davis had an ongoing feud/dislike for one another. Team Davis!

I find this feud to be riveting, even to this day.

Why did Bette Davis and Joan Crawford Hate Each Other?

This is a really interesting article.

Last edited by daynet; 07-10-2016 at 10:20 AM..

Old 07-10-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
I could never take to the late Joan Crawford.

I thought and still think that she was harsh and garish-looking.

And it had nothing to do with the book "Mommie Dearest", which I borrowed from a friend and read from cover to cover. I already loathed Joan Crawford and loathed her more after devouring that book.

I have to grudgingly admit that she was very good starring with the late great Bette Davis in "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?"

Of course, Joan Crawford and Bette Davis had an ongoing feud/dislike for one another. Team Davis!

I find this feud to be riveting, even to this day.

Why did Bette Davis and Joan Crawford Hate Each Other?

This is a really interesting article.
Waaaaaal, the two other girls that Joan Crawford adopted, said the book didn't show the woman that they knew as their mother. One said it was a load of rubbish, and untrue.

But, like her or loathe her, Joan Crawford was a star. Right to her last movie, which was an awful piece of junk called 'Trog'. I saw the marquee for the film in London's West End in 1971. JOAN CRAWFORD in Trog, it said. Joan's name in huge letters, and the film title in small ones! Now, that's a real star!!

Old 07-10-2016, 10:30 AM

1,109 posts, read 762,443 times
Quote:
Waaaaaal, the two other girls that Joan Crawford adopted, said the book didn't show the woman that they knew as their mother. One said it was a load of rubbish, and untrue.

But, like her or loathe her, Joan Crawford was a star. Right to her last movie, which was an awful piece of junk called 'Trog'. I saw the marquee for the film in London's West End in 1971. JOAN CRAWFORD in Trog, it said. Joan's name in huge letters, and the film title in small ones! Now, that's a real star!!
I don't know how accurate that book is, I agree there, but as stated, I already loathed Joan Crawford.

I know that she was a mega-star, but I just can't stand her. She married a Pepsi mogul, didn't she, and became a spokeswoman for Pepsi?

I've always liked Bette Davis, though.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about this...it's a matter of taste, after all, a personal thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPOIS5taqA8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or