U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 08:34 AM

22,221 posts, read 5,499,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Bette was fantastic, an outspoken woman before her time.. Actors are a different species from us mere mortals.. they push and shove to get what and where the want.. disregarding the rest.. or most do...

I could never stand Edward G Robinson but now following some of his films Ive got to like him a lot..
Michael Caine... No matter which part he gets he always sounds the same to me..
Meryl Street..Cant stand this woman.. dont get the build up and praise she gets at all and dont think ive ever been able to watch a full film with her in it.. Someone said recently that acting is a religion to Meryl.. what utter tripe... I really cant go her. I also thought Marlon Brandos acting was mumbly and awful... another who was overrated big time. Some character actors could knock most of the biggies off the shelf.might do a new thread about the best ones ever.. if there isnt one...
Dizzy........ say it's not true....... you don't like Marlon Brando........ Change 'hey Stella' , for 'hey diiiiiiizzzzy'.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7a1TxVV4Bg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 10:11 AM

2,753 posts, read 1,737,435 times
I always thought Brando was over rated too.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:18 AM

12,480 posts, read 14,364,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post

waaaaay over rated

Old 07-18-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Waaaaaaal, Brando peaked early....... But, his acting style had a massive influence on the actors who followed in his footsteps.

When you think Clark Gable and Errol Flynn were still big stars, when Brando made his first movie, you realize just how different from them he was. In movie acting style, there is before Brando, and after.

I can watch him in 'Streetcar Named Desire' every once in a while. His unsympathetic performance, which he honed on the stage, is still mesmerizing to watch. Also, I can watch him in 'The Godfather' any number of times.

He didn't stretch his talent in later years, and seemed to lose interest in giving a performance, and became a parody of himself sadly.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:42 AM

4,826 posts, read 2,142,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Dizzy........ say it's not true....... you don't like Marlon Brando........ Change 'hey Stella' , for 'hey diiiiiiizzzzy'.........

I started respecting Marlon Brando when I saw On the waterfront....

His early acting scenes were his finest.

Interesting story about his life...at one point he was institutionalized...He had gotten "too" into character and had to be placed in a ward. My Mom ( studying in Philly for nursing) had to attend to him. She didn't speak too much on it as back then it was taboo to mention such "ailments of the mind", instead she said, she gained a new respect for this man...He suffered from the very talent he adored.

I had less of a liking for Joan Crawford.

My all time favorites: Sidney Poitier, Audrey Hepburn, Barbra Streisand, Shelly Winters ,Lana Turner,Catherine Hepburn, Jimmy Stewart, Betty Davis,Paul Newman.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I started respecting Marlon Brando when I saw On the waterfront....

His early acting scenes were his finest.

Interesting story about his life...at one point he was institutionalized...He had gotten "too" into character and had to be placed in a ward. My Mom ( studying in Philly for nursing) had to attend to him. She didn't speak too much on it as back then it was taboo to mention such "ailments of the mind", instead she said, she gained a new respect for this man...He suffered from the very talent he adored.
That is very interesting background about Brando, and something I have never heard before. He was a complex man, and actor. He was great in 'On The Waterfront.' Later on, in the 60s, he seemed to lose interest in acting.

He gave a very good performance in a film called, 'Reflections In a Golden Eye' in 1966. It's relative failure seemed to discourage him. But, he came back strong in 'The Godfather', and we will always have that.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:37 PM

14,489 posts, read 11,474,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

hahahaha sorry but never got the attraction ataw Dave... liked him in Mutiny on the Bounty but more because I like that sort of film

Old 07-18-2016, 02:50 PM

2,098 posts, read 1,420,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Shock horror, B movies....hahaha.. Lana was of course a bit of a ham actress... did you know that Jeff wanted to donate one of his eyes to Sammy Davis Jr.. his friend when he lost an eye in a car accident... and he also died quite young after routine surgery... Jeff that is.
No, I didn't know that. I went to read more on him and found this:

"In February 1953, I was making a second picture with Jeff Chandler, one called War Arrow. Jeff was a real sweetheart, but acting with him was like acting with a broomstick"

- Maureen O'Hara on acting with Chandler in War Arrow (2004).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or