Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 01:59 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times

Advertisements

Pity not more out there like this woman... no cameras recording what she did.. no adopting ten babies from other countries to show the world how wonderful she was.. just this.. please read..

It was well recognized that Martha Raye endured less comfort more than any other Vietnam entertainer.

I did not know this about Martha Raye I bet you didn't either.

The most unforgivable oversight of TV is that her shows were not taped.
I was unaware of her credentials or where she is buried.

Somehow I just can't see Brittany Spears, Paris Hilton, or Jessica Simpson doing what this woman and the other USO women, including Ann Margaret & Joey Heatherton did for our troops in past wars

Most of the old time entertainers were made of a lot sterner stuff than today's crop of activist bland whiners.

The following is from an Army Aviator who takes a trip down memory lane:

"It was just before Thanksgiving '67 and we were ferrying dead and wounded from a large GRF west of Pleiku. We had run out of body bags by noon,
so the Hook (CH-47 CHINOOK) was pretty rough in the back.

All of a sudden, we heard a 'take-charge' woman's voice in the rear.

There was the singer and actress, Martha Raye, with a Special Forces beret and jungle fatigues, with subdued markings, helping the wounded into the Chinook, and carrying the dead aboard.

Maggie' had been visiting her Special Forces (SF) 'heroes' out 'west.'
We took off, short of fuel, and headed to the USAF hospital pad at Pleiku.

As we all started unloading our sad pax's,a USAF Captain said to Martha....
"Ms Raye, with all these dead and wounded to process, there would not be time for your show!"

To all of our surprise, she pulled on her right collar and said
"Captain, see this eagle? I am a full 'Bird' in the US Army Reserve,
and on this is a 'Caduceus' which means I am a Nurse, with a surgical specialty.... now, take me to your wounded!"

He said, "Yes ma'am.... follow me."

Several times at the Army Field Hospital in Pleiku,
she would 'cover' a surgical shift, giving a nurse a well-deserved break.

Martha is the only woman buried in the SF
(Special Forces) cemetery at Ft Bragg. Her name is spelled two different ways so apologies if Ive headed her name wrong.. https://www.truthorfiction.com/colonel-maggie/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 02:02 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,833 times
My ex husband was a green beret during Vietnam nam. He used to talk about her and how she went where no others would go.

He admired her.

Thanks for posting dizzy

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 07-17-2016 at 02:17 AM..

Old 07-17-2016, 02:10 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,522 times
Martha Raye was a great entertainer, and American.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRClGI4rByU

Old 07-17-2016, 02:15 AM

The email I got with the info about Martha had her name Wrae so apologies folks for the spelling on heading.. I should have known . What a smasher of a woman Martha was, as was Jimmy Stewart..who also did more than his bit for the US. http://www.historynet.com/mr-stewart...to-vietnam.htm

Last edited by dizzybint; 07-17-2016 at 02:24 AM..

Old 07-18-2016, 03:48 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
The email I got with the info about Martha had her name Wrae so apologies folks for the spelling on heading.. I should have known . What a smasher of a woman Martha was, as was Jimmy Stewart..who also did more than his bit for the US. Mr. Stewart Goes to Vietnam | HistoryNet

Amen. Jimmy. Martha. Heck, even Bob(Hope), went beyond.

RIP all! You are sorely missed in this world!!

Old 07-18-2016, 04:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,163,875 times
Another name that should be mentioned: Connie Stevens. She got on the choppers, without cameras and publicity, and went to visit the guys who were in very remote regions.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:43 PM

Just read, Martha was married seven times...

Old 07-19-2016, 01:04 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,426,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Just read, Martha was married seven times...
The old gal must have liked wedding cake........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlidBpEApSI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities