U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 10:37 AM

24,870 posts, read 59,936,472 times

Advertisements

One of my clients built the Fontana Speedway. They had a box after it opened and invited me to come watch races. I was interested in hanging out with the client execs whom I liked a lot, but only passingly interested in watching cars go round and round 500 or whatever times.

I invited a friend who is an avid racing fan. He was in heaven because the skybox tickets include a pit pass and some other things.

After the race, we decided to wait for a while to let traffic clear out and let our livers do their job before driving home. We both went to the bathroom. Standing at the urinals, a small guy in a racing jumpsuit with patches from different suppliers all over it squeezed in between us. Urinal rule #1 you do not squeeze between two guys, just wait.

I am thinking what a dweeb wearing his silly jumpsuit and trying to look like a race car driver. Must be a PIA to get out of it to pee. I am glad he was not in our suite, I have no tolerance for guys who dress up like the athletes (drivers) and try to prove there are fannier or whatever.

Then he broke urinal rule #2 - do not talk to other guys at the urinal. Now I am really uncomfortable.

He says "Ahhhh I have been waiting 400 miles to do this"

I simply glare straight ahead at the wall and wish I could escape because he has broken urinal rules 1 and 2. It is uncomfortable. What is next?

My friend on the other hand quickly zipped up and started bouncing around as he washed his hands stammering words I could not make out and saying Oh Oh Oh oh. He grabbed some paper towel off the roll and as the rule breaker went to wash his hands, my friend thrust the paper towel and a pen at the guy and asked him to sign it.

Turns out the little dweeb was Jimmy Johnson who had just won his first race. He declined to sign the paper towel, but invited us to his suite, gave us a bunch of autographed trinkets and marketing materials and offered us a drink. He was a genuine nice guy and very interesting even though he was a rule breaker. My friend was in heaven for months.

We encountered celebrities fairly often. Sometimes because our office was located in Universal City, sometimes because our twin baby daughters auditioned for movies (The lead guy from the Big Easy - Dennis something? really liked the girls and played with them for a while, so I liked him) and commercials, sometimes just at random because they happened to be where we went. My friends always made fun of me because I did not really care and because I never recognize anyone. I would sit right next to some hot shot star and have no idea who they were (and not really care once someone told me). I once had a 15 - 20 minute with the blonde gal from the batman movie (first one I think) and had no idea she was even an actress. She just seemed like a very nice and ridiculously skinny blonde lady.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 02-09-2017 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 03:01 PM

9,291 posts, read 16,204,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Geez, was he that offended by your bedhead? lol When I had my hotel celebrity encounter, I had just stepped out of my room into the hallway and he was walking by with his son. We didn't make eye contact, otherwise I probably would've at least said hi or something since I'm a fan, but I really didn't think that was the appropriate time to speak to him anyway. I did get a chance to speak to him briefly later on though.

I got the impression or "vibe" that he was just being a bit shy or didn't want to be recognized at that time of the morning.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or