U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 10:03 AM

8,952 posts, read 4,875,267 times

Advertisements

Hey, I had to ask my younger brother to identify Madonna in "Die Another Day"....and then, had to ask my mother about who was Paris Hilton. Yes, I was one of those wondering about the hype of a hotel in France.

When Mylie Cyrus tore up the music awards, I didn't know who it was. I thought it was the boy in the zebra suit. For that matter, I didn't know about the Janet Jackson Superbowl Rip until the following Thursday.

When it comes to popular culture, be it this who or that what, I am part of the terminally clueless........and I am glad I am!

I live by the Serena Complex. Ie, "She is the most remarkable bundle of delightful contradictions I have ever known. This is a girl who can't unscrew a bottle of olives yet can read the stars like Galileo. She can't dial a telephone but she can tell you what went on in the bedroom of Alexander Graham Bell in 1902."........

........incredibly intelligent but quite ignorant of popular culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 10:46 AM

5,589 posts, read 4,815,861 times
I think to be a celebrity you have to be known by 8 year olds and 80 year olds. You can be famous in your field but that doesn't make a person a celebrity.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:14 PM

15,245 posts, read 23,852,738 times
I dont know most of the movie celebrities, as not really any of them are of interest to me or their movies.

Old 12-07-2016, 12:17 PM

31,288 posts, read 57,490,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
sometimes I see a list of the latest celebrities and I don't know anything about any of them. Back in the 50s and 60s everyone knew all the actors and actresses and singers etc.
Did they? Or did they simply know those who were relevant to them? You know, kinda like today.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:47 AM

345 posts, read 168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
sometimes I see a list of the latest celebrities and I don't know anything about any of them. Back in the 50s and 60s everyone knew all the actors and actresses and singers etc. Is it just me or do others experience the same thing.
You knew the famous ones like Frank Sinatra, Elvis, etc. but you probably didn't know the bit players. Now with tabloid news shows like Entertainment Tonight, TMZ, and Insider (Insider's a show, right?) plus 800 different channels, new movies debuting every week instead of every few months like in the 50s and 60s, tabloid magazines, etc. it seems like everyone who's ever been in anything over the past ten years gets some sort of exposure. You can't stand in line at the grocery store without having some new starlet staring back at you from the cover of a fashion magazine.

Bruce Springsteen was at our city library a month or so ago, and my friend who works for the library offered to get me a ticket. I was like "Nah, I'll pass." I mean, he's a musical legend and all, but I won't even wait in a line more than three people deep to buy toilet paper at Rite Aid, so I'm certainly not going to wait in line for hours just to meet a person for two seconds.

But hey, some people like that stuff. There's nothing right or wrong either way.

I remember when Michael Jackson died, my grandmother said "Why is everyone making such a big deal. It's not like he was Bing Crosby so I think it's a generational thing, too.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:36 AM

8,881 posts, read 15,703,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Did they? Or did they simply know those who were relevant to them? You know, kinda like today.
Maybe. But you have to understand that times have changed. 'Way back when there were only three television networks, movies and record albums were (relatively) expensive to produce and distribute to a wide audience, and the news was distributed through a limited number of sources. There was no internet, no cell phones; heck, some people didn't even have phones. Sure there were people who lived under a rock and were aware of very few celebrities, but the typical American was exposed to the same limited sources. Even if you had no interest in baseball you still knew who Stan Musial was because you rad about him in the paper or heard him talked about on the radio. If you became a celebrity in any way, chances are the entire engaged population knew your name.

Today the sources of information are almost unlimited so a person can get enough exposure to be considered a celebrity while remaining unknown to huge segments of the population. Within the past year a country music artist name Aaron Watson had the number one song in that genre while receiving almost no radio airplay whatsoever. To have a number one song an artist has to be familiar to an awful lot of people, but there are still those who rely solely on the radio for their musical entertainment who have no idea who he is.

The same goes for TV, there are dozens of stars of dozens of cable-only - or even internet-only - television shows who remain unknown to the person who relies on an antenna alone for broadcast TV.

Your point about relevance is accurate for today's world, but in the much smaller world of even 20 years ago fame was much more universal.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:32 PM

15,759 posts, read 3,163,932 times
I dont really know most of the names of the celebrities anymore.

Old 12-13-2016, 03:48 PM

1,544 posts, read 606,731 times
It isn't unusual. These pseudo-celebrities are famous mostly because of social media and not for their skills or talents. Famous people these days are just one big pile of...meh.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:18 AM

1,137 posts, read 867,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayMoe10 View Post
I remember when Michael Jackson died, my grandmother said "Why is everyone making such a big deal. It's not like he was Bing Crosby so I think it's a generational thing, too.
Dude, I love your grandmother.

Old 12-19-2016, 12:00 PM

3,807 posts, read 3,442,170 times
Well, since it changes from day to day, as to who's hot and who's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities