U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-15-2016, 09:16 AM
 
Location: God's Country
4,659 posts, read 3,031,222 times
Reputation: 7561

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by applej3 View Post
Diane Sawyer was never "pulled" from anything. Her ratings at ABC news were high.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Sawyer


(...)


Sawyer would start on December 21, 2009, three days after Gibson's departure.[SIZE=2][10][/SIZE] For over a year (20102011), with Katie Couric as then anchor of CBS Evening News, two of the three network news anchors on broadcast television were women.[SIZE=2][11][/SIZE] Ratings initially rose 8% after Sawyer's first four weeks, averaging 8.8 million viewers.[SIZE=2][12][/SIZE]


She signed off at the end of her nightly broadcast with "I'll see you right back here tomorrow night." The show, like the competing evening newscasts, ended the year with ratings 14% below that of the preceding year. Until 2014 she was the anchor of ABC's flagship broadcast World News and the network's principal anchor for breaking-news coverage, election coverage, and special events.[SIZE=2][13][/SIZE]


On June 25, 2014, it was announced that she would step down from the anchor chair at ABC World News in September 2014. She will remain with ABC News and will focus on creating specials and conducting high-profile interviews.[SIZE=2][14][/SIZE]

(...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-15-2016, 01:39 PM
 
Location: USA
2,824 posts, read 666,948 times
Reputation: 3379
Quote:
The show, like the competing evening newscasts, ended the year with ratings 14% below that of the preceding year.
As I said, Diane Sawyer has never been pulled from anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2016, 02:04 PM
 
8,077 posts, read 3,903,647 times
Reputation: 27632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diane_Sawyer


(...)
The show, like the competing evening newscasts, ended the year with ratings 14% below that of the preceding year.

(...)
So, overall evening news viewership was down. That would indicate that it wasn't necessarily a result of Diane Sawyer anchoring. If the other shows had higher ratings and ABC lower, then there might be reason to believe that it was because of her. There's no evidence that she was "removed." I think you're just projecting what you want to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2016, 09:01 AM
 
Location: God's Country
4,659 posts, read 3,031,222 times
Reputation: 7561
Well, what I believe is that if her ratings had been up as they were at first, she wouldn't have been pulled. And I believe that they saw Muir as their savior. As I understand it, he leads the pack amongst the three nets, not that I watch any of them.


I don't believe that celebrities in good health choose to retire simply because they're financially set. And this includes the foolish, wealthy pro athletes who risk their health by continuing to perform in their occupations. In recent years, there have been a few exceptions to this mindset in pro football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2016, 09:13 AM
 
8,077 posts, read 3,903,647 times
Reputation: 27632
Regardless of what you believe and project, there's no evidence that she was pulled. And yes, there are celebrities in good health who choose to retire because they're comfortable enough to be able to do so. But Sawyer didn't completely retire. She refocused on the aspects of the job that she enjoys more. It's more of a Jodie Foster move. She's stepped back from acting to focus on directing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2016, 12:04 PM
 
Location: God's Country
4,659 posts, read 3,031,222 times
Reputation: 7561
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Regardless of what you believe and project, there's no evidence that she was pulled. And yes, there are celebrities in good health who choose to retire because they're comfortable enough to be able to do so. But Sawyer didn't completely retire. She refocused on the aspects of the job that she enjoys more. It's more of a Jodie Foster move. She's stepped back from acting to focus on directing.

We can politely agree to disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2016, 10:36 PM
BMI
 
Location: Ontario
6,521 posts, read 3,805,243 times
Reputation: 4793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Well, what I believe is that if her ratings had been up as they were at first, she wouldn't have been pulled. And I believe that they saw Muir as their savior. As I understand it, he leads the pack amongst the three nets, not that I watch any of them.


I don't believe that celebrities in good health choose to retire simply because they're financially set. And this includes the foolish, wealthy pro athletes who risk their health by continuing to perform in their occupations. In recent years, there have been a few exceptions to this mindset in pro football.
Yes, like Barbara Walters.....born 1929......much older than Diane Sawyer,
Sawyer is just a pup compared to Walters.

Barbara just keeps going like the energizer bunny.

Diane Sawyer was born December 22, 1945 ....in 5 days ....71,
always looking good too.

Celebrities are either the attention seekers type....who go until they drop,
or the reclusive types, that take it or leave, the ones people say "what ever happened to...."

Attention seeker for sure is Regis Philbin, he hated giving up "Live",
I think he was forced out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top