U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:10 AM

6,328 posts, read 8,008,222 times

Advertisements

It is rather ironic that the death of someone famous for pretending to be someone else is mourned when there are hundreds of thousands of people dying every day, who were just being themselves and gained neither fortune nor fame for doing so.

People are really mourning an idea of themselves at a certain age and time in their lives -- the vast majority never met and never will meet any of these famous people, and their only exposure to this other human is through a 2-dimensional scripted media event or a scripted story, which is all fantasy.

All living things die, that is true. Some sooner and some later, but no one gets out alive, ever. I always think it's best to celebrate the life while the life is actually here and can appreciate it. That goes for everyone, not just celebs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 11:27 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,516,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
It is rather ironic that the death of someone famous for pretending to be someone else is mourned when there are hundreds of thousands of people dying every day, who were just being themselves and gained neither fortune nor fame for doing so.

People are really mourning an idea of themselves at a certain age and time in their lives -- the vast majority never met and never will meet any of these famous people, and their only exposure to this other human is through a 2-dimensional scripted media event or a scripted story, which is all fantasy.

All living things die, that is true. Some sooner and some later, but no one gets out alive, ever. I always think it's best to celebrate the life while the life is actually here and can appreciate it. That goes for everyone, not just celebs.
People become special to us though whether it was through seeing them on screen , listening to their music or hearing stories about them... this is more profound though, with Debbie dying just after her daughter and sad.. and I think most of us can sympathise with Carries brother and her children at this terrible time..their deaths arent fantasy though. . Isnt it human to feel for others no matter if we knew them or not...I feel for people in terrible disasters or war torn countries that I dont know and never will.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:01 PM

8,080 posts, read 3,903,647 times
I grieve creators of art. People who contributed positively to the world at large and shared their vulnerabilities and craft with all of us. They each helped make this life a richer experience. I may not have known them personally, but I will miss their contributions (the possibility of future contributions?) greatly. There's nothing wrong with that.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:18 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,385,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
People become special to us though whether it was through seeing them on screen , listening to their music or hearing stories about them... this is more profound though, with Debbie dying just after her daughter and sad.. and I think most of us can sympathise with Carries brother and her children at this terrible time..their deaths arent fantasy though. . Isnt it human to feel for others no matter if we knew them or not...I feel for people in terrible disasters or war torn countries that I dont know and never will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I grieve creators of art. People who contributed positively to the world at large and shared their vulnerabilities and craft with all of us. They each helped make this life a richer experience. I may not have known them personally, but I will miss their contributions (the possibility of future contributions?) greatly. There's nothing wrong with that.

exactly! Well said by the both of you

Old 12-29-2016, 12:47 PM

22,294 posts, read 5,518,565 times
Artists touch something deep within our souls. At least the best of them do. This year we have lost many great ones. David Bowie, George Michael, Prince, and Leonard Cohen, among others. These singers wrote great songs that stay with us.

Carrie Fisher created a film role almost 40 years ago that made her iconic to especially children of that time. Those people especially mourn her today.

Her mother Debbie Reynolds, appeared in the greatest musical ever made, 'Singing In The Rain.' It is a joyful film to watch over 60 years after she made it. Debbie's film career reached it's height over 50 years ago, but she continued to entertain the rest of her life.

We feel great loss when such artists die. There is a connection between them and us, even though most of us never meet them in reality. When a famous mother dies the day after her famous daughter, our humanity feels deeply for such a sad situation. Knowing them in reality doesn't matter when this happens. Our sadness is genuine, and heartfelt.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:51 PM

14,334 posts, read 12,590,587 times
So sorry she didn't make it.....and now the double blow of Debbie passing also.

How horrible, especially for family left behind.....pets too. I read that Carrie's daughter is going to take care of her mother's beloved Gary. Carrie can rest in peace knowing he will be well loved and taken care of.

I didn't know Debbie and Carrie lived right next door to one another......I was glad to hear this.....sounds like mother and daughter had a lot of good quality time together during their last years.

And, I agree with others here, 2016 has been a very bad year in so many ways, it seems like it's cursed. I will be glad when it's over.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:05 PM

12,739 posts, read 10,771,268 times
A funny thing that darn Carrie said ...when asked, What advice would you give a 30 yr old...or was it, advice you would give 'the 30 yr old you'...
1. Don't do do anything you're thinking of doing.
2. And never write about it.

She was SO clever! sigh.

Interviewer: i understand your mother lives in the house next to you.
"Well, I think that's her."

Old 01-26-2017, 03:59 PM

11,062 posts, read 6,230,230 times
I just watched her one woman show on hbo again after seeing it 5 years ago. This woman was so funny, so human. Her daughter and close friends will miss their loved one, but the rest of us also lost a terribly unique voice at such a young age of 60. I would have loved to hear what Carrie had to say at 80.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:24 PM

26,246 posts, read 14,119,588 times
Well...

Carrie Fisher's autopsy reveals cocktail of drugs, including cocaine, opiates and ecstasy

Fisher’s toxicology review found evidence of cocaine, methadone, MDMA (better known as ecstasy), alcohol and opiates when she was rushed to Ronald Reagan UCLA Hospital on Dec. 23, a toxicology report showed.

The test results “suggests there was an exposure to heroin, but that the dose and time of exposure cannot be pinpointed.” Therefore we cannot establish the significance of heroin regarding the cause of death in this case.”

The tests revealed that the cocaine would have been consumed within the previous 72 hours, according to the autopsy.

Her cause of death was listed as sleep apnea with other factors.

In addition to the listed cause of death, the coroner’s statement cited “other conditions: atherosclerotic heart disease, drug use.”

... this is your heart on drugs.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:07 PM

6,328 posts, read 8,008,222 times
Drugs get the last word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or