U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2017, 04:54 PM

12,480 posts, read 14,407,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
That's too bad about the gorilla and the tree, but it seems odd to include them on the list. Just sayin'...
and the list seems to be missing Florence Henderson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 12:53 AM

915 posts, read 487,512 times
Florence Henderson - yes, that's an obvious one I missed!

Old 01-02-2017, 01:52 AM

22,374 posts, read 5,538,716 times
I think how we are effected by the death of famous people depends on our age. I was saddened by many deaths in 2016, but the one that hit me the most was Muhammad Ali. I grew up watching him from the beginning of his boxing career.

He was always more than a boxer. He was so funny, and entertaining outside the boxing ring. He visited England many times in the mid 60s. He would appear on talk shows, and always had a funny line, and was very endearing.

When he was banned from boxing, and was unable to travel after having his passport taken away, we had to be content with him talking to his English fans by satellite. Ali came to view England as his second home, and he said so back in those times. He remained popular here all through his time of banning from boxing.

An English fan raised a petition demanding Ali get his boxing licence back, and handed it in to the American Embassy. Ali got to hear of this, and promised to visit the fan when he next visited England. He did so, and actually visited this fan many times at his very humble home for many years. This guy appeared in a documentary, and showed his many photos of Ali at his home, and out in the street playing soccer with local children. This for me, showed the greatness of Ali, and his returned loyalty to folks who stood by him in his dark times.

I watched him fight through the 70s. When he lost I despaired, but he always came back. His two fights with George Foreman in 1974, and with Joe Frazier in 1975 have gone down in history. His fight with Frazier in Manilla showed the greatness of both of them. That fight became about more than money. It was a savage spectacle of desire to win at any cost. Ali won, but both left a piece of themselves in Manila, and neither was ever the same again.

Joe Frazier, a real American sporting hero, gained my everlasting respect that night. He was almost blind in one eye from an injury years before. This was obviously kept secret from the public. His good eye was closed during the fight, and he could hardly see after the 14th round. His trainer, refused to let Joe go out for the last round. He was frightened his fighter may die in that ring. Many years later, Joe was asked if he would have gone out for the last round, almost blind......... he said he would have without any doubt.

Muhammad Ali is remembered as a great fighter because of the great men he fought. I watched his physical decline sadly, but when he lit the Olympic cauldron in 1996, and stood there body shaking, my heart went out to him, and I wept for my hero. I will never forget him.

Muhammad Ali had a 50 year love affair with Britain and he always felt like one of us - Brian Reade - Mirror Online

Muhammad Ali's love affair with Britain: 'If he'd been born there, he would never have changed his name'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoHZZVYS0qc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or