U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:44 PM

965 posts, read 1,011,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Maybe singers when performing ought to actually sing instead of lip sync. You know...like in the good old days.
Singers actually singing for the big bucks they're paid. What a concept!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 09:41 AM

13,132 posts, read 7,387,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
This. So there was a technical problem. The fact that the whole thing was lip synched and the technical problem made it so obvious is what made her look foolish, IMO. Why couldn't she just sing? Why can't other megastars sing their performances? Surely it isn't that hard. She could sing her "Emotions" in her sleep, I'm sure. It's an incredibly difficult song, but she has the chops to do it. As an aside, why does dress so sleazy? I've always enjoyed her music, but put some clothes on already. She's old enough to be a grandmother, she can cover up, and everyone will still know she's a beautiful, talented lady.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ignorant comments about her age and clothing aside, "just singing" to a large, noisy crowd is easier said than done, from what I've read about the technical machinations needed to pull off a show of this scale. If you can't hear the music, you can't sing or even lip sync along.

Could she have handled it better? Sure. But it's not a question of "just singing". It's never that simple - especially when the show has been rehearsed a certain way.
Apparently you didn't read everything I wrote. I said she was a beautiful, talented lady and I meant it. It is not ignorant to say what I said at all; it is a succinct observation. And her talent doesn't change the fact that she could dress more modestly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbared View Post
Singers actually singing for the big bucks they're paid. What a concept!
Agreed. However, I watched a clip about it on the news. The newscaster said that just improvising during a technical snafu like that is indeed harder than it seems because she couldn't hear anything due to the crowd. I suppose if she had planned (and rehearsed) the song from the beginning while singing acapella or not lip synching at all, she could have pulled it off.

Old 01-03-2017, 09:52 AM

16,724 posts, read 13,665,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I think the sound crew messed up the most here, and left her hanging.

Mariah Carey ends 2016 on low note with 'disastrous' New Year's Eve performance

I think Carey was drunk off her ass. She even said, "It's a holiday, I'm allowed to have a holiday too."

Her poor dancers had to carry her down several sets of stairs, support her across the stage, and she couldn't do the lift, either, "Let's try this just for laughs," she said.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:18 AM

2,180 posts, read 1,203,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Most wouldn't watch her anymore unless her boobs are hanging out.
i have no desire to see Mariah Careys Fat Bags...naw thanks

Old 01-03-2017, 12:50 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,549,792 times
If she would have sang, it probably would have sounded like that horrible live performance she had in 2014. It seems better that she didn't sing. From what I've read, you can't hear anything on stage, there is too much background noise from speakers, etc...and you need to hear yourself to keep on track.

BUT, any professional performer should have a back up plan, especially for live TV. If the sound system didn't work, turn it off and sing live. For that, she needed to have hours of practice, which she obviously doesn't do.

She cares more about being a diva and looking 'hot' at this point in her career.

Old 01-03-2017, 01:24 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
I'm a bit amazed that there were anyone out there that considered Carey worthy of any attention at all... may have to give her another listen, can anyone recommend any recent work that I may have missed out on?

Old 01-03-2017, 02:07 PM

7,950 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
From what I've read, you can't hear anything on stage, there is too much background noise from speakers, etc...and you need to hear yourself to keep on track.
I'm not buying it. She didn't seem to have any issues with Auld Lang Syne (which I have a feeling she lip-synched anyway).

My suspicion is that they had the wrong track for "Emotion" ... it was supposed to be a full vocal track and she was going to lip sync, but they had only a support track that had the high notes in case she couldn't reach. You notice she didn't show any concern about not being able to hear until right when the lyrics were supposed to start. That's when the performance suddenly fell apart.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:22 PM

3,308 posts, read 2,549,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm not buying it. She didn't seem to have any issues with Auld Lang Syne (which I have a feeling she lip-synched anyway).

My suspicion is that they had the wrong track for "Emotion" ... it was supposed to be a full vocal track and she was going to lip sync, but they had only a support track that had the high notes in case she couldn't reach. You notice she didn't show any concern about not being able to hear until right when the lyrics were supposed to start. That's when the performance suddenly fell apart.
I see what you mean. I'm not a fan by the way, just like getting info from many different sources before I come up with a conclusion.

Old 01-04-2017, 09:31 AM

4,524 posts, read 4,853,516 times
The Show Must Go On.
Period.

A true performer would have pulled something off.
Instead she walked around like a lost puppy and clearly can't sing like she used to.
(And that's ok.. just accept it and admit it!)
Her inability to get it together proves she's no longer a true performer.

A little humble pie would be good for her but she really lost it a few years back.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 01-04-2017 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: nnn

Old 01-04-2017, 09:44 AM

7,950 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Saw the clip again last night and noticed something else that disproves the argument that she couldn't hear ... After she told the dancer to go ahead with the lift (which she then didn't do anyway), she did a bit of vocalizing. Timing and pitch were fine, so clearly she could hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities