Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 04:00 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

I think the sound crew messed up the most here, and left her hanging.

Mariah Carey ends 2016 on low note with 'disastrous' New Year's Eve performance

Quote:
The singer, 46, took to the stage in New York’s Times Square but technical difficulties marred the event which was one of the biggest planned to ring in 2017.

At the end of her performance, watched by millions of fans, Carey abruptly walked off stage and signed off with: "It just don't get any better."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Q2i_9PHU0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 07:36 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
I watched it real time and could not believe what I was seeing and hearing.

After the first song she said, "that was....amazing".

Amazing is right.

She made very little attempt at singing during the first song....just walked around,
meanwhile the dancers were dancing away,
every once in a while she would ask a male dancer to hold her leg as she lifted it up.

Then Seacrest muttered something about Mariah being great no matter what.

I think Taylor Swift sang her vocals live when she did it ....last year I think,
I remember her going a bit off key...must have been live.

As Randy Jackson used to say..."I dunno dawg...sounds a little pitchy to me".

Old 01-02-2017, 08:27 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
It was clearly a technical problem, but she handled it poorly. She pretty much gave up.

And the technical issues exposed a shortcoming ... she apparently can't hit her high notes anymore, because they were all pre-recorded.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:40 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,266,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
It was clearly a technical problem, but she handled it poorly. She pretty much gave up.

And the technical issues exposed a shortcoming ... she apparently can't hit her high notes anymore, because they were all pre-recorded.
Yes, I noticed that too....those high notes were on a separate track.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:41 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Maybe singers when performing ought to actually sing instead of lip sync. You know...like in the good old days.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:44 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Maybe singers when performing ought to actually sing instead of lip sync. You know...like in the good old days.
Bands have been lip-syncing "live" performances since at least the 50s. This isn't some new development.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:58 AM

404 posts, read 385,464 times
Mariah can fix this. She just needs to go on the Today Show or one of those other morning shows....even Wendy Williams, grab a mic and sing acapella! That will shut them up.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:06 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
This. So there was a technical problem. The fact that the whole thing was lip synched and the technical problem made it so obvious is what made her look foolish, IMO. Why couldn't she just sing? Why can't other megastars sing their performances? Surely it isn't that hard. She could sing her "Emotions" in her sleep, I'm sure. It's an incredibly difficult song, but she has the chops to do it. As an aside, why does dress so sleazy? I've always enjoyed her music, but put some clothes on already. She's old enough to be a grandmother, she can cover up, and everyone will still know she's a beautiful, talented lady.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:22 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Bands have been lip-syncing "live" performances since at least the 50s. This isn't some new development.
No one said it was new.

I've gone to a number of concerts where people still sang.

If I want to listen to a recording, I'll buy an album or a digital download.

If I'm paying hundreds for a ticket, I want a real performance.

Old 01-02-2017, 11:27 AM

9,974 posts, read 5,669,596 times
Quote:
No one said it was new.
Then one wonders what you meant by this:

Quote:
Which "good old days" are you referring to then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities