U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 03:54 PM

18,882 posts, read 8,860,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
George Murphy is also in the 3rd row. If anyone else watches old movies, he was almost as good a hoofer as Fred Astaire. He also hosted his own show.
Interesting that you mention Murphy and Astaire.

I just watched several Murphy movies, including one where here was paired with Fred Astaire. I think the difference -- at least in the one film (one of those "Broadway Melody" pics) was that if you watch their feet, Astaire NEVER made a misstep. Murphy occasionally did; minor missteps, but noticeable. Nevertheless, I've enjoyed some of Murphy's old films quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 04:45 PM

6,256 posts, read 10,326,760 times
The only one I could recognize was the naked golden dude all the way on the right.

Old 01-15-2017, 09:48 PM

17,566 posts, read 21,741,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
George Murphy is also in the 3rd row. If anyone else watches old movies, he was almost as good a hoofer as Fred Astaire. He also hosted his own show.
Yes! I noticed him.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:18 AM

14,489 posts, read 11,474,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well, perhaps. But on the other hand she was in MANY films (over 100) and had worked in films produced by MGM.
Did you also know that Hedda s son was an actor and played Natalie Woods father in Rebel Without a Cause and was also in Perry Mason.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebel_Without_a_Cause

Old 01-27-2017, 03:20 AM

8,702 posts, read 2,321,119 times
3rd from the right in the 2nd row (so, two over to the left from Gene Kelly) is Ozzie Nelson.

I believe the woman who is 2nd from the left in the 5th row (in the striped dress) is Cloris Leachman

Old 01-27-2017, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Did you also know that Hedda s son was an actor and played Natalie Woods father in Rebel Without a Cause and was also in Perry Mason.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebel_Without_a_Cause
Yeah, IIRC his name was William Hopper, and he played Paul Drake.

Then there was DA Hamilton Burger, assistant Della Street, and Lt. Tragg.....but, off the top of my head, I can't remember any of the names of the actors. Della Street = Barbara ????. I remember her son IRL payed the lead in the 70s show 'The Greatest American Hero' -- William Katt ???? I think he also appeared later in a Perry Mason remake?

Raymond Burr, of course, was Perry Mason.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:32 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Is that Joan Blondell in the third row down to the left in the black dress and reddish hair..Tyrone Power too in the army uniform top row.
Diana Lewis
Chill Wills/Desi Arnaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
3rd from the right in the 2nd row (so, two over to the left from Gene Kelly) is Ozzie Nelson.

I believe the woman who is 2nd from the left in the 5th row (in the striped dress) is Cloris Leachman
Red Skelton
Sara Haden

1943: This is a promotional photo of many of the actors under contract with MGM at the studio’s 20th birthday party…

here is a better image...
http://i.imgur.com/9i5lM.jpg

Here’s who we’re looking at…
Spoiler
1st Row: James Stewart, Margaret Sullavan, Lucille Ball, Hedy Lamarr, Katharine Hepburn, Louis B Mayer, Greer Garson, Irene Dunne, Susan Peters, Ginny Simms, Lionel Barrymore
2nd Row: Harry James, Brian Donlevy, Red Skelton, Mickey Rooney, William Powell, Wallace Beery, Spencer Tracy, Walter Pidgeon, Robert Taylor, Pierre Aumont, Lewis Stone, Gene Kelly, Jackie Jenkins
3rd Row: Tommy Dorsey, George Murphy, Jean Rogers, James Craig, Donna Reed, Van Johnson, Fay Bainter, Marsha Hunt, Ruth Hussey, Marjorie Main, Robert Benchley
4th Row: Dame May Whitty, Reginald Owen, Keenan Wynn, Diana Lewis, Marilyn Maxwell, Esther Williams, Ann Richards, Marta Linden, Lee Bowman, Richard Carlson, Mary Astor
5th Row: Blanche Ring, Sara Haden, Fay Holden, Bert Lahr, Frances Gifford, June Allyson, Richard Whorf, Frances Rafferty, Spring Byington, Connie Gilchrist, Gladys Cooper
6th Row: Ben Blue, Chill Wills, Keye Luke, Barry Nelson, Desi Arnaz, Henry O’Neill, Bob Crosby, Rags Ragland

Old 01-27-2017, 09:37 AM

14,489 posts, read 11,474,558 times
Is that the actor from The Quiet Man.. victor McLaglen at the front right. not its not him.. once I made the photo bigger I see its not..

Last edited by dizzybint; 01-27-2017 at 09:57 AM..

Old 01-27-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Diana Lewis
Chill Wills/Desi Arnaz

Red Skelton
Sara Haden

1943: This is a promotional photo of many of the actors under contract with MGM at the studio’s 20th birthday party…

here is a better image...
http://i.imgur.com/9i5lM.jpg

Here’s who we’re looking at…
Spoiler
1st Row: James Stewart, Margaret Sullavan, Lucille Ball, Hedy Lamarr, Katharine Hepburn, Louis B Mayer, Greer Garson, Irene Dunne, Susan Peters, Ginny Simms, Lionel Barrymore
2nd Row: Harry James, Brian Donlevy, Red Skelton, Mickey Rooney, William Powell, Wallace Beery, Spencer Tracy, Walter Pidgeon, Robert Taylor, Pierre Aumont, Lewis Stone, Gene Kelly, Jackie Jenkins
3rd Row: Tommy Dorsey, George Murphy, Jean Rogers, James Craig, Donna Reed, Van Johnson, Fay Bainter, Marsha Hunt, Ruth Hussey, Marjorie Main, Robert Benchley
4th Row: Dame May Whitty, Reginald Owen, Keenan Wynn, Diana Lewis, Marilyn Maxwell, Esther Williams, Ann Richards, Marta Linden, Lee Bowman, Richard Carlson, Mary Astor
5th Row: Blanche Ring, Sara Haden, Fay Holden, Bert Lahr, Frances Gifford, June Allyson, Richard Whorf, Frances Rafferty, Spring Byington, Connie Gilchrist, Gladys Cooper
6th Row: Ben Blue, Chill Wills, Keye Luke, Barry Nelson, Desi Arnaz, Henry O’Neill, Bob Crosby, Rags Ragland
Drat...well, my mother would have been able to name all of them . The easier ones (IMO) had already been identified by the time I clicked on the thread.

According to your chart and the location description I gave, the man I thought was Ozzie Nelson is Pierre Aumont, not Red Skelton.

Red Skelton had already been identified.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:26 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,415,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Drat...well, my mother would have been able to name all of them . The easier ones (IMO) had already been identified by the time I clicked on the thread.

According to your chart and the location description I gave, the man I thought was Ozzie Nelson is Pierre Aumont, not Red Skelton.

Red Skelton had already been identified.

right you are ... looks like those two could have been separated at birth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities