U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 09:51 AM

18,891 posts, read 8,873,507 times

Advertisements

In today's world of myriad cable channels, I keep an eye on 3 or 4 fan sites so that I can easily learn when some of the entertainers I most like might be a guest on some show.

But one particular actor I really like now is, in my view, being stalked by a few of these fans. He performs all over the country, including in Hawaii, and this one fan -- who doesn't appear to be very economically prosperous -- is there getting her picture taken with him. She has the fan website about him, and it appears she spends a lot of time on the site.

When does it become crossing the line? When does it become stalking? And what should these "stars" do about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 09:57 AM

13,230 posts, read 11,764,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In today's world of myriad cable channels, I keep an eye on 3 or 4 fan sites so that I can easily learn when some of the entertainers I most like might be a guest on some show.

But one particular actor I really like now is, in my view, being stalked by a few of these fans. He performs all over the country, including in Hawaii, and this one fan -- who doesn't appear to be very economically prosperous -- is there getting her picture taken with him. She has the fan website about him, and it appears she spends a lot of time on the site.

When does it become crossing the line? When does it become stalking? And what should these "stars" do about it?
It's not crossing the line to simply have your picture taken with someone (he obviously agreed to it otherwise how did she get it?) or to make a fan website. It IS crossing the line to show up at their homes, hack into their personal accounts, or get into their space/touch them without permission. As for what they should do? Hire a good security team and get restraining orders, if necessary.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:36 AM

7,986 posts, read 3,874,784 times
If she is going to fan events and performances to see the celebrity, that's fine ... whether it's one location or twenty. The whole point of the event is for the fans, and there's no limitation on how many of these events the fans can attend. Whether or not she's "economically prosperous" (???) is completely irrelevant and frankly none of your business. People have been following bands and other celebs all over the world forever. This is nothing new. And it's not "stalking" (at least not in the legal sense of the term). And who cares how much time she spends on the site or whether or not she has her own fan site? Free country.

When they start to intervene in the celeb's personal/private life, that's when it becomes stalking. If she's seeking out and posting personal details that aren't known to the general public, that's a problem. But it doesn't really matter what you think. If the celeb or his team are concerned, they will take whatever measures necessary.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
If she is going to fan events and performances to see the celebrity, that's fine ... whether it's one location or twenty. The whole point of the event is for the fans, and there's no limitation on how many of these events the fans can attend. Whether or not she's "economically prosperous" (???) is completely irrelevant and frankly none of your business. People have been following bands and other celebs all over the world forever. This is nothing new. And it's not "stalking" (at least not in the legal sense of the term). And who cares how much time she spends on the site or whether or not she has her own fan site? Free country.

When they start to intervene in the celeb's personal/private life, that's when it becomes stalking. If she's seeking out and posting personal details that aren't known to the general public, that's a problem. But it doesn't really matter what you think. If the celeb or his team are concerned, they will take whatever measures necessary.
Yup. I see the same fans all the time at shows and events that I attend. There's a married couple that's particularly annoying because they show up to everything, they always have to be really close to the stage in the first few rows, and the husband is really tall so you don't want to get stuck behind him because you won't be able to see anything. So yes, they get on my nerves but it wouldn't be fair for me to call them stalkers.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:35 AM

18,891 posts, read 8,873,507 times
I'm not questioning anybody's right to go to performances or anything of that nature.

I'm questioning when it crosses the line of sanity.

In this particular case, this particular female fan posts that someday she'll marry him. Which will be quite interesting considering that he is gay.

And isn't this how stalkers are born?

What is the balancing point between being realistic about stars and their privacy rights, versus one's access to them because we shell out the money that makes them rich.

Old 01-16-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
I'm not questioning anybody's right to go to performances or anything of that nature.

In this particular case, this particular female fan posts that someday she'll marry him. Which will be quite interesting considering that he is gay.

What is the balancing point between being realistic about stars and their privacy rights, versus one's access to them because we shell out the money that makes them rich.
Just because he's gay doesn't mean she can't fantasize about marrying him. As long as she isn't breaking any laws or making him feel threatened or uncomfortable, I don't really see the problem. Some people do become infatuated with celebrities to the point where it negatively impacts their own lives, but it still doesn't mean that they're dangerous or on the road to becoming a stalker. Spending lots of time thinking about celebrities or traveling to see them is just a hobby for some people. For some fans, it's even a competitive thing. "She got five pictures with him so I'll get six." Were you a little jealous when you saw her photo with him?

Old 01-16-2017, 11:51 AM

7,986 posts, read 3,874,784 times
Quote:

I've been calling a particular celebrity my "future ex-husband" for YEARS. It doesn't mean I actually believe I will marry (and subsequently divorce) said celebrity. It's funny. One of my friends from my school days has been calling herself "Mrs. George Michael" since we were in elementary school in the 80's. Yes, even after he came out of the closet. (And yes, she's pretty depressed about his passing). But no, she didn't really believe she was going to marry him.

I think you're taking it all way too seriously.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:04 PM

20,344 posts, read 20,428,723 times
celebrities owe us fans big time which really bugs me when they shut me out and ignore my attempts to engage them in a little bit of conversation such as when I recently stood outside of Pat Sajak's Holmby Hills house at 2:00 am and shouted out some of the recent solutions to his questions without any acknowledgement whatsoever..."Hey Sajack! What is, Bridge Over Troubled Waters?" and "Sajak! yo! Who is, Roger Marris?" what a jerk, not watching that show anymore

Old 01-17-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
celebrities owe us fans big time which really bugs me when they shut me out and ignore my attempts to engage them in a little bit of conversation such as when I recently stood outside of Pat Sajak's Holmby Hills house at 2:00 am and shouted out some of the recent solutions to his questions without any acknowledgement whatsoever..."Hey Sajack! What is, Bridge Over Troubled Waters?" and "Sajak! yo! Who is, Roger Marris?" what a jerk, not watching that show anymore
Now this would be an example of crossing the line.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:56 PM

8,149 posts, read 6,006,827 times
When things go from words to actions is where they start to get creepy.

Remember Margaret Ray?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Mary_Ray

Letterman actually handled that pretty well.. He knew the woman was ill and rarely pressed charges against her, even though that had to be absolutely terrifying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or