U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2008, 06:43 PM

52 posts, read 245,045 times

Advertisements

Uncle Buck, Planes, Trains And Automobiles, The Great Outdoors. They still make me laugh after all these years.

I've read great things about John Candy. He was kind, generous and never had anything bad to say about anybody. Very loved by those who knew him.

He lost his father at the age of 5 from a heart attack. Many think that's why he chose to drink, smoke and eat excessively. He once told a reporter there was a hole in his heart he could never fill after his dad died.

They say he was a wonderful husband to his wife Rosemary (Rosie) and a great father to his kids Jennifer and Christopher. Christopher looks a lot like him. I saw a video clip of them recently and what "great kids."

Has anyone here ever met him or have a great story to tell about him? Would love to hear it.

He played some great roles. They say he worked hard on the set. He was very generous to the cast and crew members and never complained.

While filming his last movie "Wagons East" he told a good friend he thought something bad was going to happen during the filming. Sadly, he died during that film.

It's the character he showed on and off the screen that makes me such a huge fan of his. He was one of a kind.

Still missing John Candy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 09:18 PM

16,487 posts, read 20,350,726 times
He was a wonderful talent and it would have been nice to see what more he could have done if he had lived.

Old 03-02-2008, 10:29 AM

Default Rip John 3/4/94

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
He was a wonderful talent and it would have been nice to see what more he could have done if he had lived.
How true! You can't help but feel he was just getting his career off the ground. Would've loved to have been able to see him and his work on the screen today.

His beautiful daughter Jennifer, who graduated from Layola Marymount Univ. is now following in his footsteps. Maybe we'll get another Candy on the screen just yet. I think John would be incredibly proud of her. She's beautiful, grounded and looks a lot like him.

RIP John 3/4/94.....

Old 03-02-2008, 12:03 PM

4,721 posts, read 13,619,160 times
I have a daughter in LA who is "in the business''. She has a close pal (they used to date) from SNL who knew John . He was very sweet,shy, soft spoken,quiet and never quite knew what to do when approached by adoring fans.He was a heavy smoker too. . It seems he never really thought he deserved praise for his work-was very humble. How unusual in that industry.I also heard similiar stories about Chris Farley(though I did hear hair raising stories about his excess ). John Candy, Belushi, Farley, the lovable 'fat guys' who were adored but never seemed to love themselves enough to get healthy.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:11 PM

2,159 posts, read 3,736,729 times
Oh I agree.. Candy was hilarious!!

They have been showing a lot of his movies lately. Such a shame to not have him around anymore

Same with Farley! Man I miss seeing him in movies. Imagine if Farley and Candy would have gotten to do a film together.

Old 03-02-2008, 03:04 PM

Default Great Story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I have a daughter in LA who is "in the business''. She has a close pal (they used to date) from SNL who knew John . He was very sweet,shy, soft spoken,quiet and never quite knew what to do when approached by adoring fans.He was a heavy smoker too. . It seems he never really thought he deserved praise for his work-was very humble. How unusual in that industry.I also heard similiar stories about Chris Farley(though I did hear hair raising stories about his excess ). John Candy, Belushi, Farley, the lovable 'fat guys' who were adored but never seemed to love themselves enough to get healthy.
What a great story nanannie, about your daughter having a friend who knew John. Love reading about people who knew or met him.

Again, everything your daughter has to say about John Candy is confirmed. Have yet to see or read anything bad about him. It's almost unbelievable(sadly) considering it's the movie industry.

Thanks for sharing it.......

I too, wonder why Candy, Belushi, Farley etc. were unable to stop the self destructive paths they took and get healthy??

Old 03-02-2008, 03:59 PM

Default Thanks For The Laugh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Oh I agree.. Candy was hilarious!!

They have been showing a lot of his movies lately. Such a shame to not have him around anymore

Same with Farley! Man I miss seeing him in movies. Imagine if Farley and Candy would have gotten to do a film together.
Just the thought of Farley, Candy and (add) Belushi makes me laugh! Not sure they'd ever make it past the first take. Too much fun and laughter!

Thanks for the laugh, NEOhioBound.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities