Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 08:18 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Her show was among the most well acted and best written I have ever seen.

Very sad news. A class act full of talent is lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2017, 09:20 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
I'm too young to remember The Mary Tyler Moore Show, but I always knew who she was.

RIP.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:04 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
And Rose Marie is 93!
Wow. Shame on me . I didn't bother looking up either Rose Marie or Morey Amsterdam because I assumed both had passed away. I remember what Felix Unger (the Tony Randall Felix Unger) said what people do when they assume , but I did it anyway.

Before looking up any of the people I listed, I knew Betty White to be at least 93, and likely at least 94....and I knew Dick Van Dyke and Cloris Leachman had hit at least 90.

I just looked up Morey Amsterdam before posting this. He's been gone for 20 years and a few months, but he almost made it to his 88th birthday.

While watching those two shows.....it just always seemed as though they must have had so much fun making them. Laughter is great medicine.

EDIT:

Re my first/previous post on this thread (not this post), I posted it without reading any of the other posts on the thread. My thought re the longevity of other cast members obviously occurred to others (I just read the whole thread)

Last edited by RMESMH; 01-26-2017 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: ADDED EDIT

Old 01-26-2017, 01:43 AM

33,321 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Great cast. Many of them got their own shows after "The Mary Tyler Moore" show ended. There were shows like "Lou Grant" and "Rhoda" and "Phyllis" based on those characters. Still, playing new characters, actors like Gavin McLeod starred on the very successful show "Love Boat" and Betty White starred on "The Golden Girls." Ted Knight also got his own series. IIRC Gordy the weatherman was played by John Amos who later starred in "Good Times." Georgia Engel, who played Ted's wife, frequently appeared on popular TV shows like "Coach" and "Everybody Loves Raymond."

I didn't include Georgia Engel on my previous list because I know she is quite a bit younger (born in 1948).

I can't believe I forgot about Gordy/John Amos . The look that Gordy often had on his face during or at the end of a conversation with Ted......hilarious.......priceless. And I watched Good Times occasionally as well. John Amos is the same age as Valerie Harper....77.

Some actors who haven't always been thin (or have never been thin) do live pretty long lives. Ernest Borgnine lived to be 95 and, as I mentioned before, Ed Asner is still with us at 87.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:00 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrygal View Post
Mary was also a great dramatic actress, receiving an Oscar nomination in "Ordinary People". I still get chills every time I watch this poignant scene of a family coming apart at the seams. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BkNaaNscqU
Ordinary People was one of the most worthy best picture award winners ever. But at the time, it wasn't the kind of movie that would draw me to the theater. I didn't realize how good it was until it came out on cable later. MTM was absolutely terrific in it, as was Judd Hirsh.

Old 01-26-2017, 06:40 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
She was my hero as a young girl.
RIP.
Mary Tyler Moore. She was my hero, too. When her show "The Mary Tyler Moore show," started, I was recently divorced, and starting a new career; so I looked forward to all of her shows. She was one in a million and a classy, caring woman.

Her "Ohhhh, Rob," used to grate my nerves, not any more, that sounds different, now. That show was also a hoot. Thank God, we have such talents, to make us laugh.

Thank you Mary Tyler Moore, you were a great role model. Through her heartaches and great health problems, she could still make us smile.

I did see her in that "Hot in Cleveland," show and that episode is a classic; if you missed it, find it...........

Seems like the best sitcoms always have a bunch of great people. Just like Seinfeld and the rest.

Last edited by mollygee; 01-26-2017 at 07:22 AM..

Old 01-26-2017, 10:27 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Very sad

Old 01-26-2017, 05:15 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
The former cast of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" has remained remarkably intact over the decades. The last one to die was Ted Knight in 1986. Ed Asner, Betty White, Cloris Leachman, and Gavin Macleod are older than MTM.
Yes, they are.

I met Ed Asner last year here in LA, other than being a little hard of hearing he's getting around pretty good.

Sad news, a very funny and talented lady.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:17 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Mary Tyler Moore. She was my hero, too. When her show "The Mary Tyler Moore show," started, I was recently divorced, and starting a new career; so I looked forward to all of her shows. She was one in a million and a classy, caring woman.

Her "Ohhhh, Rob," used to grate my nerves, not any more, that sounds different, now. That show was also a hoot. Thank God, we have such talents, to make us laugh.

Thank you Mary Tyler Moore, you were a great role model. Through her heartaches and great health problems, she could still make us smile.

I did see her in that "Hot in Cleveland," show and that episode is a classic; if you missed it, find it...........

Seems like the best sitcoms always have a bunch of great people. Just like Seinfeld and the rest.
The episode of the MTM show where "Chuckles the Clown" died was classic, her scene where she went from crying to laughing to crying again, comic brilliance.

You don't see this with the current crop of sitcom stars.

Old 01-26-2017, 05:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
I love her and watched every episode of both shows on hulu. RIP lovely lady.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities