U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2017, 08:42 PM

6,002 posts, read 3,028,013 times

Advertisements

I was watching a 70's "Wonder Woman" today and then got to wondering, whatever happened to Lynda Carter. So I looked her up on IMDB and .......

....... INCREDIBLE.............. that for such an "icon", she went off to act in things I had never seen, even during my healthy TV watching habit, most I had never heard of.

So I have to wonder, is that a common experience, that someone has a great start out of the gate and then has a successful but unheard of career? Or am I misjudging her list of accomplishments?

Or is it some agent's belief of "Because you were an icon once, your name will draw people to watch things like this."?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 09:33 PM

9,340 posts, read 10,335,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I was watching a 70's "Wonder Woman" today and then got to wondering, whatever happened to Lynda Carter. So I looked her up on IMDB and .......

....... INCREDIBLE.............. that for such an "icon", she went off to act in things I had never seen, even during my healthy TV watching habit, most I had never heard of.

So I have to wonder, is that a common experience, that someone has a great start out of the gate and then has a successful but unheard of career? Or am I misjudging her list of accomplishments?

Or is it some agent's belief of "Because you were an icon once, your name will draw people to watch things like this."?
She has a decent music career and plays in clubs frequently also. For some, the "down low" but still somewhat famous is enough. A lot of celebs, musicians are not in the limelight frequently but between royalties and a cult following live well.

This is winning I think. Devoted fans, nice income but not being chased by paparazzi constantly. You can chill out n the backyard on a Summer day with some Beer. No one bothers you. They chase the Kardashians instead.

Old 02-24-2017, 09:37 AM

1,837 posts, read 710,048 times
Lynda chose to leave Hollywood in the mid-'80's to marry a wealthy D.C. attorney and raise kids in a tony Maryland suburb. I'm actually surprised how active she was during those years. Guess she was never on my radar.

Old 02-25-2017, 06:12 AM

9,935 posts, read 10,194,888 times
I didn't realize that she suffered from alcoholism.
Lynda Carter on being a beauty queen, playing Wonder Woman and her alcoholism | Celebrity News | Showbiz & TV | Express.co.uk

Old 02-25-2017, 10:00 AM

1,866 posts, read 1,062,286 times
There are only so many acting roles and tons of people wanting to fill them.

Old 02-28-2017, 08:16 PM

11,769 posts, read 7,209,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Read Miss. Carter's Wikipedia page and other sources about her pre, during and post "Wonder Woman" career.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynda_Carter

Hollywood is and has always been about using people; especially beautiful women (or men if he case arises), and that is pretty much how things played out for Miss. Carter and WW. Of course if you don't play the game and or make waves there are consequences and repercussions.

To answer the balance of your post what roles do you think Miss. Carter should have had or have now?

It becomes difficult once an actor is typecast to break out of that mold. Marilyn Monroe is the classic example of this; the woman wanted to be more than the stacked dumb blonde; but that is what made people money so that was that.

This all being said Miss. Carter had pretty active screen career (television mostly) through the 1980's and into the 1990's. By then the good lady was reaching her 40's which while not "old" to you or I, is often the time good roles for actresses start to become difficult to land. That is unless you want to be someone's mother or something.

Old 03-04-2017, 03:40 PM

4,583 posts, read 3,367,354 times
Maybe, like Karen Black famously did, she never turned down a role. Some of Black's roles was godawful, but she saw acting as a craft, and you never turn down a paying customer.

Old 03-06-2017, 12:24 AM

6,002 posts, read 3,028,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Read Miss. Carter's Wikipedia page and other sources about her pre, during and post "Wonder Woman" career.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynda_Carter

Hollywood is and has always been about using people; especially beautiful women (or men if he case arises), and that is pretty much how things played out for Miss. Carter and WW. Of course if you don't play the game and or make waves there are consequences and repercussions.

To answer the balance of your post what roles do you think Miss. Carter should have had or have now?

It becomes difficult once an actor is typecast to break out of that mold. Marilyn Monroe is the classic example of this; the woman wanted to be more than the stacked dumb blonde; but that is what made people money so that was that.

This all being said Miss. Carter had pretty active screen career (television mostly) through the 1980's and into the 1990's. By then the good lady was reaching her 40's which while not "old" to you or I, is often the time good roles for actresses start to become difficult to land. That is unless you want to be someone's mother or something.
We all get old and even if we don't, as Shelly in Northern Exposure pointed out, there's some kid fresh out of high school ready to take your place.

Being old doesn't mean the end. Look at Anne Haney.
Anne Haney - IMDb

As far as what roles the subject in question should have had, I am not the one to ask. The first part of the 80s, I was in college and didn't see much TV at all. The second half, I was in the service and I saw a little bit more TV but not much.

However, perhaps she should have had the roles that Jane Badler had; they are only 2 years different in age. Or maybe those of Jennifer O'Neill who is 3 years older.

How old one is in acting is not an across the board situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities