U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 05:18 PM

11,029 posts, read 6,212,441 times

Advertisements

It is funny, or maybe sad, that Barry thought his fans didn't know he was gay. I wasn't a fan, but who didn't know Barry Manilow was gay over 40 years ago??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 05:42 PM

862 posts, read 661,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It is funny, or maybe sad, that Barry thought his fans didn't know he was gay. I wasn't a fan, but who didn't know Barry Manilow was gay over 40 years ago??
Well he was linked to Morgan Fairchild 35 years ago. Big news at the time. I still remember Barry going on TV on such shows as Entertainment Tonight saying stuff like "Morgan is so beautiful", "We are going to be happy together"... blah blah blah. No word from Morgan but I suspect that she played along with it. I wonder if Dick Clark was behind this since he was known as not being gay friendly but yeah who didn't know that Barry was gay.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:11 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,016,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
LOL Barry himself was probably the last one to know. Still, even if everyone "knew," as far back as the late 90s or so there was still a "wink wink nudge nudge" type of attitude where the fans wouldn't make a big deal out of it if he didn't and everyone just pretended that the obvious wasn't obvious.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:25 AM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Or Liberace. Still don't believe that one. Everyone knew Liberace was a ladies man.
There were still members of Liberace's fanbase (largely older straight women) that refused to believe that he was gay even after his death and all the revelations. Visiting the Liberace Museum in LV (before it closed) was a surreal experience. The docent had known him and spoke of him in hushed, reverential tones and refused to answer questions about his 'personal life'; in fact, she became visibly upset if the subject was even broached.
I would imagine that a lot of the 'Fanilows' are of the same mindset.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:45 AM

13,144 posts, read 7,393,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
WHAT??? NO WAY!!!!!

I just... I... my world is shattered! And just when I was getting back on my feet from learning Anderson Cooper is gay! We just can't count on our manly men to show us the way any more....
Haha. I thought Barry came out several years ago. Did he forget that he already released this memo to us or are we all getting absentminded in our old age?

Old 04-11-2017, 10:07 AM

2,866 posts, read 4,017,252 times
I think the bigger irony is that he did not write the song 'I Write the Songs.' That was more of a stunner.

And major props to whoever threw Fanilow out there. I had forgotten how funny Will & Grace once was.

I think Rob Halford was the only star who really stunned when they came out. Maybe Chely Wright or Poria de Rossi- but they weren't big enough stars to merit much thought. I was honestly more shocked by Willie Geist being straight.

Old 04-11-2017, 10:10 AM

2,322 posts, read 1,598,981 times
he was known as Barry Nannernose for a reason ... HA !

Old 04-11-2017, 11:58 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,016,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOSS429 View Post
he was known as Barry Nannernose for a reason ... HA !
Yeah, I think that was more of an ethnic slur than a pot-shot at his sexuality. For the latter the common moniker was "Barely ManEnough."

Old 04-11-2017, 01:45 PM

862 posts, read 661,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I think Rob Halford was the only star who really stunned when they came out.
I was too actually. In the 80s and 90s heavy metal rock had this macho male thing and was as a whole very homophobic. By the time Halford came out it was all in the past.

Old 04-11-2017, 02:07 PM

20,893 posts, read 32,892,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
I was too actually. In the 80s and 90s heavy metal rock had this macho male thing and was as a whole very homophobic. By the time Halford came out it was all in the past.
I was a bit surprised by Pete Townshend's revelation.

Quote by Pete Townshend:.

Also Monty Python's Graham Chapman.

Nocookies | The Australian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities