U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 12:34 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,443,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantan1968 View Post
Maybe but he did fool our program director and the PDs of the other country radio stations in our market unlike KD Lang. When she came out our PD yanked her music off the air and the same thing happened at the other country stations too. I remember our PD saying that is what drugs can do. Whatever but I can say Ty Herndon didn't fool me.

As far as the kids in that video are concerned I am beginning to agree with BugsyPal that those kids were either disabled or ill or both. Of course on the video THAT wasn't mentioned.
That's just ridiculous. She's another who seemed obvious to me and it didn't make a difference to her music. It was still good as far as her listeners were concerned or they wouldn't have bought albums and attended concerts. I hope we as a species can get over unnecessary drama about each others sexuality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 07:55 PM

13,402 posts, read 5,203,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
That's just ridiculous. She's another who seemed obvious to me and it didn't make a difference to her music. It was still good as far as her listeners were concerned or they wouldn't have bought albums and attended concerts. I hope we as a species can get over unnecessary drama about each others sexuality.
I'm not particularly big on the gay rights issue but I don't see how the sexuality issue impacts on the quality or lack thereof of his music.

And I am far from a Barry Manilow fan.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:54 PM
BMI

6,516 posts, read 3,785,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You know, as awful as the commercial tripe Manilow puts out is, I had to feel bad for him. Did you notice this quote?

Considering his fans, I thought I would be disappointing them if they knew I was gay. So I never did anything, says Manilow.

He had a successful career, millions of loyal fans, and he was afraid that they would turn against him just because of who he is. It's really a sad commentary, and I'm glad the world has changed so that he can be himself without reprisals.
Good song writer too.

Before making it big he wrote commerical jingles....
like for McDonalds, "You deserve a break today...."

Ironically, his big hit "I Write the Songs",
he didin't write! Beach Boy Bruce Johnston wrote it!

Old 04-23-2017, 05:17 PM

862 posts, read 661,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post

Unfortunately our PD at the time was a homophobe,

Old 04-23-2017, 06:25 PM

18,242 posts, read 11,645,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm not particularly big on the gay rights issue but I don't see how the sexuality issue impacts on the quality or lack thereof of his music.

And I am far from a Barry Manilow fan.

Feel sometimes the "gayness" can add an extra dimension to certain performers who otherwise might not have risen far as they did.

Liberace was a very good pianist, but it was his "Mr. Showmanship" over the top campy acting that sold tickets and thus made him buckets of money. For years women would watch Liberace on television or live gushing that they wished their sons could be "just like that"; only to have their husbands (fathers of the boys) say "God Forbid"!

Peter Allen was another talent where his enthusiasm, camp or whatever helped a career that might have not otherwise been as great.

Only song I recall remotely interesting by BM was "Copacabana"; rest of his music was consigned to "elevator", "dentist", or otherwise "light music" found overly saccharine .

Old 04-24-2017, 09:32 PM

13,402 posts, read 5,203,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Only song I recall remotely interesting by BM was "Copacabana"; rest of his music was consigned to "elevator", "dentist", or otherwise "light music" found overly saccharine .
There was also "It's a Miracle" that was definitely not elevator music.

Old 04-27-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
There was also "It's a Miracle" that was definitely not elevator music.
...or "Let's Hang On" and "Some Kind of Friend". That was in the early 80's when Barry tried to do the "hard rock" thing even though neither tune was what I would consider "Hard rock" but not elevator music.

Old 04-28-2017, 05:47 PM

4,150 posts, read 2,157,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Or Liberace. Still don't believe that one. Everyone knew Liberace was a ladies man.
Re Liberace:

I was a child when Liberace was on TV regularly and the woman next door was absolutely crazy about him, and would stop everything to watch him and swoon.

She died long ago with her fantasies about him and her and a strong fantasy romance between them intact. I doubt she ever learned he was gay.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Re Liberace:

I was a child when Liberace was on TV regularly and the woman next door was absolutely crazy about him, and would stop everything to watch him and swoon.

She died long ago with her fantasies about him and her and a strong fantasy romance between them intact. I doubt she ever learned he was gay.
I believe it !!!

My parents took my grandmother to see him in concert in Virginia back in the 70's. I would like to say 1977 but I am not sure. Anyway my parents knew he was gay but my grandmother refused to believe that. She even believed that the watermelon diet killed him and not AIDS. You couldn't tell her that Liberace liked men as she would not believe it. She died in 2002.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities