Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 02:01 PM

50,808 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I'm sure my opinion here is not going to be a popular one, but frankly, I never cared for the man and will not miss him at all.
This is a man who made his living by being loud, obnoxious, and insulting to every group of people imaginable. His "jokes" were based on stereotypes of different groups of people. Just saying whatever comes to mind without having any filter is not comedy in my opinion.
On the one hand, he was very funny.

But sometimes mean. I don't think telling a 70 year old Jimmy Stewart that it's time to go back to the home is actually very funny. And there were those entertainment figures who didn't like or understand his humor, and yet they were victims, as well.

But another big complaint I had about Rickles is that he just recycled the same gags over and over and over...for years. Go watch 10 of Dean Martin's roasts in a row where Rickles is one of the roasters. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Watch Rickles in 2 shows 10 years apart. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 04:52 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
On the one hand, he was very funny.

But sometimes mean. I don't think telling a 70 year old Jimmy Stewart that it's time to go back to the home is actually very funny. And there were those entertainment figures who didn't like or understand his humor, and yet they were victims, as well.

But another big complaint I had about Rickles is that he just recycled the same gags over and over and over...for years. Go watch 10 of Dean Martin's roasts in a row where Rickles is one of the roasters. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Watch Rickles in 2 shows 10 years apart. Repeat, repeat, repeat.
I hope you get scuff marks on your Thom McCanns.

Old 04-09-2017, 02:30 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I'm sure my opinion here is not going to be a popular one, but frankly, I never cared for the man and will not miss him at all.
This is a man who made his living by being loud, obnoxious, and insulting to every group of people imaginable. His "jokes" were based on stereotypes of different groups of people. Just saying whatever comes to mind without having any filter is not comedy in my opinion.
You have every right to your opinion. I half agree with you, since I thought he was very funny half of the time. As he got older, I think he ran out of material, but had to keep up the same image. I've heard for many years, however, that he was a wonderful, generous human being, so that was just a character he created.

RIP

Old 04-09-2017, 04:24 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
All great comics go downhill at some point. George Carlin, maybe the greatest comic of all, was doing fart jokes near the end. Rodney Dangerfield was still milking "I get no respect" right up to the end. Henny Youngman---"take my wife...". Etc, etc.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:41 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
RIP Don Rickles

Old 04-09-2017, 11:57 PM

939 posts, read 788,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

But sometimes mean. I don't think telling a 70 year old Jimmy Stewart that it's time to go back to the home is actually very funny...
Or well thought out in the sense that it was an easy jab that could have been effectively used on anyone over 45 if one had a good delivery, and that he had.

Just as in life, someone can throw another a dig and disguise it as a compliment.
Rickles with a little more forethought, could have taken a classier approach and thrown Jimmy a compliment disguised a slam.

I say forethought because not only do the roasters write or have their act written well in advance, some, as in the case of the Comedy Central Roasts of the last decade or so, actually do a run-through of the whole show the day before the taping, so everyone can hear what is going to say and then rehearse their reactions.

I wouldn't be surprised if the occasional roast-ee supplied some of their own digs to one or more of the others.

I sure was sad to hear the news and watched a lot of clips. RIP

Old 04-10-2017, 05:04 PM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
I never understood Rickles' humor. It made me cringe. He always put people down.

I did admire his longevity in show business, relationships with so many people who loved him, and devotion to his wife.

Don had a long run and a successful life.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:45 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,749,334 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRDhnoLIQTw

Old 04-12-2017, 10:54 AM

12,266 posts, read 2,966,052 times
I've never found him funny and wonder why insult comics even exist. Maybe because some live vicariously hearing said what they would never have the courage to say out loud themselves.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:49 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
I've never found him funny and wonder why insult comics even exist. Maybe because some live vicariously hearing said what they would never have the courage to say out loud themselves.

Oh please, insulting someone else for laughs has been going on in one form or another for literally hundreds of years.

Years ago it was things like "your mother wears combat boots", or whatever.

What career comics like Mr. Don Rickles did was elevate it to entertainment and a way to make a living.

You only have to watch vintage cartoons or films from recently as the 1930's or 1940's to see "insulting" humor. Much of the gags from Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Foghorn Leghorn et al were all insulting jokes. Much of them went over children's heads then and now which was as it should have been; those cartoons originally ran between "A" and "B" pictures at movies houses along with newsreels. Thus a good amount of content was aimed at adults.

Comedy from Mr. Rickels era was streets better than the filth you get today from so called "comedians" like Chris Rock. That man and others like him cannot go two words without dropping a "F" bomb or some other vulgarity.

Don Rickels was never vulgar and obviously loved and respected given the length of his career and honors awarded by his peers. Many of the latter weren't even born when Mr. Rickels was at his peak, but he never the less helped mentor and otherwise give younger generations their start. Jimmy Kimmel all but broke out into full wailing like a baby on his show talking about DR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Rickles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities