U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-02-2017, 10:23 AM
 
45 posts, read 6,834 times
Reputation: 68

Advertisements

This is an odd forum, it seems to be mostly a repository of RIP notices. Since the IMDB message boards are gone, I'd like to take this opportunity to discuss current actors/actresses and their work. Will you join me in discussions?

Casey Affleck has been on my mind lately since he's the man of the hour after winning every Best Actor award out there this year for Manchester By The Sea, a movie I loved and still think about it.

I don't know much about him personally other than he's Ben Affleck's younger brother, he did a hilarious SNL skit about Dunkin Donuts that I go back and watch periodically when I need a laugh:


...and there is/was some controversy about him supposedly sexually harassing some women on a movie shoot.

Personally, I don't care about those allegations made against him. Manchester By The Sea was a movie that spoke to me on so many levels that I when I first heard about the sexual misconduct I just shrugged it off. It seems nowadays that a man can whistle at a woman on a street and be charged with sexual battery. Plus, weren't the allegations made over 10 years ago?

Back to Affleck, I like both Ben and Casey as actors and I think it's a great advantage that they are so different from one another; they will never compete for the same roles or movies.

After watching Manchester By The Sea I decided to check out some of Casey's other movies but I wasn't sure which ones were the good ones to seek out. He does a lot of small, indie movies which are hit or miss.

Of the movies I've seen so far I've listed them from best to worst here. Let me know your thoughts:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford – this movie bombed when it first opened back in 2007 and it's a shame because it's such a brilliant, under-appreciated movie. It's not a standard or classic Western in any sense. It's more a psychological/character study about Fords's fascination with Jesse James and how he turns from admirer to murderer. This is the movie that convinced me that Casey Affleck could actually act. He got his first Oscar nomination for this role.

Gone Baby Gone – brother Ben's directorial debut. A solid, film-noirish thriller with a twist ending that I remembered everybody arguing about as they left the movie house. The Affleck Boston accent is the standard-bearer for all Boston accents. I always viewed Casey as a small-framed, sensitive type but this movie convinced me that he could play street tough when required.

Ocean's Eleven – Ocean's Eleven is probably one of my favorite heist movies and Affleck's weasley demeanor was perfect for his role. His comedic rapport with Scott Caan was evident and one of the highlights of the movie.

Good Will Hunting – I just re-watched this movie again for the first time in so many years. Casey's appearance was shocking to me, I almost didn't recognize him. I'd forgotten how young, different—and annoying!—he was back then. Never in a million years would I have looked at this kid and imagined him doing a movie like 'Manchester By The Sea' years later.

To Die For – the three young actors cast as the murderous teens (Affleck, Phoenix, and Folland) could not have been more perfect as a bunch of stoner New Hampshire hicks infatuated with Nicole Kidman.

Tower Heist and Triple 9 – these are good, entertaining movies but acting-wise for Affleck they were throw-away roles, really.

I have not seen Out of the Furnace or Ain't Them Bodies Saints yet.

What do others think of Casey Affleck? Do you love him? Hate him? Indifferent? What are you opinions or recommendations on the Affleck movies you've seen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-02-2017, 10:38 AM
 
478 posts, read 543,762 times
Reputation: 581
Loved him in this movie. In fact, loved everything about this movie and for me it was the best movie of 2016 and should have won the oscar imo. Also, I thought Michele Phillips got robbed out of her oscar for her portrayal as his ex wife. She didn't have many lines but the ones she delivered were amazing. Don't know enough about Casey to add more. I just hope to see more of his portrayal of complicated characters in future films.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2017, 10:57 AM
 
3,559 posts, read 1,509,292 times
Reputation: 11883
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Also, I thought Michele Williams got robbed out of her oscar for her portrayal as his ex wife. She didn't have many lines but the ones she delivered were amazing.
Williams, not Phillips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 02:19 AM
 
Location: So Cal
13,178 posts, read 8,678,733 times
Reputation: 10487
This thread almost sounds like it's a promotional stunt written by Casey Affleck. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethemedia View Post
I don't know much about him personally other than he's Ben Affleck's younger brother, he did a hilarious SNL skit about Dunkin Donuts that I go back and watch periodically when I need a laugh:

lol! Yep, that was pretty entertaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethemedia View Post
After watching Manchester By The Sea I decided to check out some of Casey's other movies but I wasn't sure which ones were the good ones to seek out. He does a lot of small, indie movies which are hit or miss.
That's what I like about him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethemedia View Post
Of the movies I've seen so far I've listed them from best to worst here. Let me know your thoughts:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford – this movie bombed when it first opened back in 2007 and it's a shame because it's such a brilliant, under-appreciated movie. It's not a standard or classic Western in any sense. It's more a psychological/character study about Fords's fascination with Jesse James and how he turns from admirer to murderer. This is the movie that convinced me that Casey Affleck could actually act. He got his first Oscar nomination for this role.
I liked this one. Great performance by him, and Brad Pitt, I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethemedia View Post
Gone Baby Gone – brother Ben's directorial debut. A solid, film-noirish thriller with a twist ending that I remembered everybody arguing about as they left the movie house. The Affleck Boston accent is the standard-bearer for all Boston accents. I always viewed Casey as a small-framed, sensitive type but this movie convinced me that he could play street tough when required.
Loved this one.

And I love that accent, especially when the accent-bearer, in real life, has a sense of humor about it and can have fun with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethemedia View Post
Good Will Hunting – I just re-watched this movie again for the first time in so many years. Casey's appearance was shocking to me, I almost didn't recognize him. I'd forgotten how young, different—and annoying!—he was back then. Never in a million years would I have looked at this kid and imagined him doing a movie like 'Manchester By The Sea' years later.
I own this one and rewatched it recently. This was the first time I had ever seen him (that I remember). He had a small part, but I've always thought he almost stole the show from the rest of them, including his brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethemedia View Post
I have not seen Out of the Furnace or Ain't Them Bodies Saints yet.
I liked Ain't Them Bodies Saints, too. There was a whole mood hanging over that one, and he just fits that perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethemedia View Post
What do others think of Casey Affleck? Do you love him? Hate him? Indifferent? What are you opinions or recommendations on the Affleck movies you've seen?
Anyway, I'm always transfixed by him. I don't know why. I'll watch him in anything. Apparently, it's that ol' "it" factor.

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 06-04-2017 at 02:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 06:19 AM
 
Location: Sugarland
11,426 posts, read 9,499,076 times
Reputation: 11564
Quote:
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford Ė this movie bombed when it first opened back in 2007 and it's a shame because it's such a brilliant, under-appreciated movie. It's not a standard or classic Western in any sense. It's more a psychological/character study about Fords's fascination with Jesse James and how he turns from admirer to murderer. This is the movie that convinced me that Casey Affleck could actually act. He got his first Oscar nomination for this role.
This is the only movie I've seen Casey in (since I don't remember him in Good Will Hunting). I thought he did a good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 10:01 AM
 
5,316 posts, read 5,667,522 times
Reputation: 4817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihatethemedia View Post
This is an odd forum, it seems to be mostly a repository of RIP notices. Since the IMDB message boards are gone, I'd like to take this opportunity to discuss current actors/actresses and their work. Will you join me in discussions?

Casey Affleck has been on my mind lately since he's the man of the hour after winning every Best Actor award out there this year for Manchester By The Sea, a movie I loved and still think about it.

I don't know much about him personally other than he's Ben Affleck's younger brother, he did a hilarious SNL skit about Dunkin Donuts that I go back and watch periodically when I need a laugh:


...and there is/was some controversy about him supposedly sexually harassing some women on a movie shoot.

Personally, I don't care about those allegations made against him. Manchester By The Sea was a movie that spoke to me on so many levels that I when I first heard about the sexual misconduct I just shrugged it off. It seems nowadays that a man can whistle at a woman on a street and be charged with sexual battery. Plus, weren't the allegations made over 10 years ago?

Back to Affleck, I like both Ben and Casey as actors and I think it's a great advantage that they are so different from one another; they will never compete for the same roles or movies.

After watching Manchester By The Sea I decided to check out some of Casey's other movies but I wasn't sure which ones were the good ones to seek out. He does a lot of small, indie movies which are hit or miss.

Of the movies I've seen so far I've listed them from best to worst here. Let me know your thoughts:

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford – this movie bombed when it first opened back in 2007 and it's a shame because it's such a brilliant, under-appreciated movie. It's not a standard or classic Western in any sense. It's more a psychological/character study about Fords's fascination with Jesse James and how he turns from admirer to murderer. This is the movie that convinced me that Casey Affleck could actually act. He got his first Oscar nomination for this role.

Gone Baby Gone – brother Ben's directorial debut. A solid, film-noirish thriller with a twist ending that I remembered everybody arguing about as they left the movie house. The Affleck Boston accent is the standard-bearer for all Boston accents. I always viewed Casey as a small-framed, sensitive type but this movie convinced me that he could play street tough when required.

Ocean's Eleven – Ocean's Eleven is probably one of my favorite heist movies and Affleck's weasley demeanor was perfect for his role. His comedic rapport with Scott Caan was evident and one of the highlights of the movie.

Good Will Hunting – I just re-watched this movie again for the first time in so many years. Casey's appearance was shocking to me, I almost didn't recognize him. I'd forgotten how young, different—and annoying!—he was back then. Never in a million years would I have looked at this kid and imagined him doing a movie like 'Manchester By The Sea' years later.

To Die For – the three young actors cast as the murderous teens (Affleck, Phoenix, and Folland) could not have been more perfect as a bunch of stoner New Hampshire hicks infatuated with Nicole Kidman.

Tower Heist and Triple 9 – these are good, entertaining movies but acting-wise for Affleck they were throw-away roles, really.

I have not seen Out of the Furnace or Ain't Them Bodies Saints yet.

What do others think of Casey Affleck? Do you love him? Hate him? Indifferent? What are you opinions or recommendations on the Affleck movies you've seen?
According to the reports, it was two women and much more than a whistle. I mean do you settle out of court over something as simple as a whistle?

People tend to give a pass or forgive celebrities for illegal or bad behavior simply because they're celebrities. Look at Mike Tyson, a convicted rapist and registered sex offender has a animated cartoon on the Cartoon Network.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2017, 12:16 PM
 
3,559 posts, read 1,509,292 times
Reputation: 11883
Allegations were from 7 years ago, and definitely involved more than a whistle.

Casey Affleck Sexual Harassment Controversy: What to Know | Time.com

Quote:
In 2010, two women who had worked on Affleck’s experimental film I’m Still Here filed sexual harassment suits against him. One of the women claimed that Affleck crawled into bed with her without her consent while she was asleep. He allegedly pressured the other woman to stay in his hotel room and “violently grabbed [her] arm in an effort to intimidate her into staying” when she refused, according to the complaint.

The women claimed he verbally disparaged them and directed a subordinate to expose himself to one of them, among other types of misconduct. They also said that Affleck and the film's star, Joaquin Phoenix, locked themselves in the women's shared hotel room with two other women, allegedly to have sex with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 12:44 AM
 
6,972 posts, read 11,333,224 times
Reputation: 7776
I haven't seen his recent work except Gone Baby Gone. His character on that one was pretty infuriating, I was actually mad at him at the end of the movie, lol. The 2 movies with him in that I loved was "200 Cigarettes" and "Drowning Mona". He's got that very likable vibe.

I don't know anything about his sexual harassment case. This is the first I've heard of it. How disappointing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 11:28 AM
 
45 posts, read 6,834 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
This thread almost sounds like it's a promotional stunt written by Casey Affleck. lol
LOL it's not a publicity stunt, I swear. I'm obsessed with MBTS and by extension with Affleck so I need to purge him from my system so that I can move on with my life. Thanks for posting your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
I liked Ain't Them Bodies Saints, too. There was a whole mood hanging over that one, and he just fits that perfectly.
I need to see this movie. I loved the promo poster for it. Thought it was very retro-looking and made me think it was a 'Bonnie and Clyde' type of movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Loved him in this movie. In fact, loved everything about this movie and for me it was the best movie of 2016 and should have won the oscar imo. Also, I thought Michele Phillips got robbed out of her oscar for her portrayal as his ex wife. She didn't have many lines but the ones she delivered were amazing. Don't know enough about Casey to add more. I just hope to see more of his portrayal of complicated characters in future films.
Oh good, I was hoping to meet another MBTS fan here. And I agree about Michelle Williams, I never really noticed her before this movie. In the few scenes she was in she was memorable, and her grief felt so real.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
I haven't seen his recent work except Gone Baby Gone. His character on that one was pretty infuriating, I was actually mad at him at the end of the movie, lol.
I totally remember how pissed off people were about that ending and it's funny now looking back on it. I like it when audiences are passionate that way. I remember one other movie where people were fighting with one another on the way out of the movie house was 'Fatal Attraction'. I enjoyed that one a lot, too.

Quote:
The 2 movies with him in that I loved was "200 Cigarettes" and "Drowning Mona". He's got that very likable vibe.
Haven't seen these. Are they any good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Allegations were from 7 years ago, and definitely involved more than a whistle.
Casey Affleck Sexual Harassment Controversy: What to Know | Time.com
When I get around to reading the sex harassment allegations I'll comment more about that. Right now I just want to focus on the movies.

Up next for me is Out of the Furnace, because it's got Christian Bale in it, too, and you can't go wrong with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2017, 12:04 PM
 
Location: southern born and southern bred
11,636 posts, read 12,691,807 times
Reputation: 16960
I must be the only person in the U.S. who detested Manchester By The Sea. I somehow got through the movie and concluded it was a waste of my precious time and THE worst movie I have ever seen. I dunno.....
Michelle Williams role was barely noticeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top