U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 06:53 PM

11,541 posts, read 11,515,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
it seems that the late Patrick Swayze had been in a long career slump when he was striken with the cancer that killed him.
Probably a victim of ageism in Hollywood. He was an amazing dancer. And I loved him in "The Outsiders," which came out when he was in his early 30s and was not very well known. One handsome guy...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 11:04 PM

44,162 posts, read 44,233,465 times
I don't know if it was a slump or a choice. He had his ranch and a lot of dogs, cats, and horses. Perhaps he was enjoying the money he had made. I know in an interview when he was dying, he said he got his comfort from spending his time with his wife and the animals, that being with his animals was what made him feel better.

I remember him first as Orrie Main in the miniseries North and South, which I guess is where most people first saw him. It was ironic that Orrie Main walks with a cane after being wounded in the Mexican War, and no one knew the actor was a great dancer. I guess not no one, lol, but the general viewing public.

Of course, then came Dirty Dancing a few years after that and then everyone knew.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:14 PM

17,262 posts, read 12,125,019 times
Pat was talented. No doubt he would have made more great and noteworthy films had he lived. He is sorely missed, as well as Mike Landon-- who also succumbed to the same disease.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:17 PM

11,844 posts, read 13,167,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't know if it was a slump or a choice. He had his ranch and a lot of dogs, cats, and horses. Perhaps he was enjoying the money he had made. I know in an interview when he was dying, he said he got his comfort from spending his time with his wife and the animals, that being with his animals was what made him feel better.

I remember him first as Orrie Main in the miniseries North and South, which I guess is where most people first saw him. It was ironic that Orrie Main walks with a cane after being wounded in the Mexican War, and no one knew the actor was a great dancer. I guess not no one, lol, but the general viewing public.

Of course, then came Dirty Dancing a few years after that and then everyone knew.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:05 AM

1,500 posts, read 750,236 times
I'll always remember Swayze for Red Dawn. I was in the military at the time stationed overseas when I saw it. It was a different world back then with the potential for conflict between the Soviet Union and the U.S. so Red Dawn seemed relevant to some extent. Wasn't that anyone thought the Soviets would invade but it didn't take that much of a stretch of the imagination to contemplate, "What if?". Anyway, I thought Patrick did a great job along with the rest of the cast.

Thanks to Red Dawn I had a hard time seeing him in the role of Dirty Dancing. That was just me though. It was a tribute to him as an actor that he could pull off the two very different roles well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities