U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:38 AM

15,365 posts, read 18,537,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love this song by John Denver:

https://youtu.be/wKPmoLxAqCM

What a beautiful voice that man had, and he really seemed like a genuinely nice guy. I hate that we lost him.
A good friend of mine of nearly a half century called me up recently, and reminded me about his experience with John Denver. My friend worked at Sam Goody's "Musicland" at Englewood, Colorado's Cinderella City Shopping Mall in early 1969. Denver had just released his first lp--"Rhymes And Reasons." Denver was introducing himself to the people coming into the store, shaking hands with the customers, signing autographs, etc. My friend told me he got to be with Denver most of the day and told me he was one of the most personable people he ever met.

Two dozen albums released-thirty million albums sold. I could list a couple dozen environmental and humanitarian causes he got involved in, Wikipedia has a pretty good list on him. I saw him three times in concert, first one was at Red Rocks in June of 1975.

Two singer songwriters I think of spoke highly of him-Harry Chapin and Michael Martin Murphy. Denver and Chapin were on an interview on PBS, IIRC it was 1974, and talked about each other and their careers. A few years ago I attended a Murphy concert in Craig, Colorado, Murphy, who knew Denver pretty well, spent a couple minutes talking about Denver and the causes he believed in.

Talented musician and songwriter and BTW a damn good 12 string guitar player.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 12:26 PM

2,133 posts, read 2,544,922 times
I liked him in the first Oh God movie, he was a very nice fellow and I missed not having him around for Book 2 or Oh God You Devil, but I'm sure he made it up there alongside that little girl and Billy Wayne too.

Country Boy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRgL92K5zuE

Old 07-30-2017, 02:21 PM

4,634 posts, read 3,012,302 times
I passed through Denver for about six months while in USAF Avionics training in 72, Rocky Mountain High was real popular at the time, and when I finally got to my first base on the east coast it was starting to become popular there, too. It made me a John Denver fan all my life.

Years later someone gave my wife some free tickets for his concert in Baltimore. We were both too tired to go. Within a week we heard that he had died. So sad that we lost him and so mad that we didn't buck up and go see him.

Old 08-01-2017, 11:15 AM

77 posts, read 15,207 times
I remember watching his music/variety specials on TV when I was growing up. His voice and folk songs always made me feel so peaceful.

It's a mystery to me why I never hear any of his songs played on the radio. He was a superstar back in his day. I hear more Everly Brothers music on the radio than I do John Denver. I wonder why that is?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:15 AM

17,085 posts, read 11,885,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
A good friend of mine of nearly a half century called me up recently, and reminded me about his experience with John Denver. My friend worked at Sam Goody's "Musicland" at Englewood, Colorado's Cinderella City Shopping Mall in early 1969. Denver had just released his first lp--"Rhymes And Reasons." Denver was introducing himself to the people coming into the store, shaking hands with the customers, signing autographs, etc. My friend told me he got to be with Denver most of the day and told me he was one of the most personable people he ever met.

Two dozen albums released-thirty million albums sold. I could list a couple dozen environmental and humanitarian causes he got involved in, Wikipedia has a pretty good list on him. I saw him three times in concert, first one was at Red Rocks in June of 1975.

Two singer songwriters I think of spoke highly of him-Harry Chapin and Michael Martin Murphy. Denver and Chapin were on an interview on PBS, IIRC it was 1974, and talked about each other and their careers. A few years ago I attended a Murphy concert in Craig, Colorado, Murphy, who knew Denver pretty well, spent a couple minutes talking about Denver and the causes he believed in.

Talented musician and songwriter and BTW a damn good 12 string guitar player.
Great story and recount, DH!

I actually had an opportunity to be around John just a few months before he died. It became very obvious that his later life after fame had taken its toll. Yes, he seemed personable enough, but nothing like he came across in those early years....

He was very guarded, and appeared very uncomfortable in his own skin. It was also obvious he was battling some, "demons." Like many of us, he was truly a tortured soul....

Sad thing. One can only hope he made his peace, in in every way, possible before the plunge into the Pacific.

P.S. Thanks every one for adding to this thread. It's been great to read your thoughts and experiences.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:31 PM

1,857 posts, read 615,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
What a talent. Sadly, he wasn't regarded as such by many in the industry. Perhaps Love, which he wrote, is a favorite. He recorded it as a duet with Plácido Domingo, but I also love his solo. Another favorite was I'm Sorry. He did a lot of substitute-hosting for Johnny Carson in the early 70's (as someone said, Far out!! lol)--back when they did that rather than airing reruns.

When he died in that tragic accident, I read that they had to ID his remains using fingerprints from his arrest records. How sad.
Yes. He was snubbed by the professional singing community. Between not being asked to participate in the We Are The World campaign against hunger in Africa, to Charlie Rich burning John Denver's CMA award envelope, for some reason the music community didn't respect him.

I loved his music, and was an avid fan. Until I read his autobiography, "Take Me Home". Hmmm. Not sure he was the man I thought he was.

Anyway, sad loss. My favorite of his songs is "Dearest Esmeralda". Lord that song goes right through me. It's like electric.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:12 PM

8,453 posts, read 1,883,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes. He was snubbed by the professional singing community. Between not being asked to participate in the We Are The World campaign against hunger in Africa, to Charlie Rich burning John Denver's CMA award envelope, for some reason the music community didn't respect him.

Totally untrue.

Charlie Rich was three sheets to the wind, don't take that as an "Industry shot" at John Denver.

Flashback: Charlie Rich Sets Fire to John Denver's CMA Slip - Rolling Stone

Same for we are the world,no industry "collusion against John"sorry just never happened.He was a well respected gifted Singer /songwriter who is missed even today.

We Are The World by USA for Africa Songfacts

Old 08-02-2017, 04:56 PM

1,857 posts, read 615,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Totally untrue.

Charlie Rich was three sheets to the wind, don't take that as an "Industry shot" at John Denver.

Flashback: Charlie Rich Sets Fire to John Denver's CMA Slip - Rolling Stone

Same for we are the world,no industry "collusion against John"sorry just never happened.He was a well respected gifted Singer /songwriter who is missed even today.

We Are The World by USA for Africa Songfacts
I saw the incident when it happened, and it was horrid. John Denver wasn't in attendance, but had a prepared acceptance speech videotaped and it was playing on the screen when Charlie Rich lit up the envelope.

There's no point in arguing this. Maybe you should read Take Me Home. In his own words, John Denver does reveal his feeling of being snubbed by the industry, even though in his heyday he was a very popular musician. He had, and still has, a very very loyal fan base that John Denver was grateful for and actually a little mystified by their adoration.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:08 PM

8,453 posts, read 1,883,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I saw the incident when it happened, and it was horrid. John Denver wasn't in attendance, but had a prepared acceptance speech videotaped and it was playing on the screen when Charlie Rich lit up the envelope.

There's no point in arguing this. Maybe you should read Take Me Home. In his own words, John Denver does reveal his feeling of being snubbed by the industry, even though in his heyday he was a very popular musician. He had, and still has, a very very loyal fan base that John Denver was grateful for and actually a little mystified by their adoration.
We agree on his talent ,we don't agree on your assessment of his standing in the industry.I have been a JD fan before his solo career got going and I am not going to insult his memory here,again your recollection of events is tarnish and simply that.Read the links.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:53 PM

17,085 posts, read 11,885,970 times
Okay, folks. Please, let's not bicker.

To borrow from ( another much beloved & gone too soon) Michael Landon' s sentiment and last wishes..."Remember me with smiles and laughter..."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities