U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 04:29 PM

17,427 posts, read 12,195,151 times

Advertisements

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...the_Rivers_Run

"David Ross Brower was a prominent environmentalist and the founder of many environmental organizations, including the Sierra Club Foundation, the John Muir Institute for Environmental Studies, Friends of the Earth (1969), the League of Conservation Voters, Earth Island Institute (1982), North Cascades Conservation Council, and Fate of the Earth Conferences. From 1952 to 1969 he served as the first Executive Director of the Sierra Club, and served on its board three times: from 1941–1953; 1983–1988; and 1995-2000. As a younger man, he was a prominent mountaineer."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 07:23 PM

9,334 posts, read 2,225,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Listen to all of the videos in total, including this one.

What is your point?

Old 08-05-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
What is your point?
John was excommunicated from the old guard country music industry for being too hippie dippie. It was very different in those days. Crossing over genres was not the norm or accepted. Collective thinking? What's that?

Back then, country music was about the good old boys and girls (club) being true to country roots of oppression, suppression, bigotry, and misguided patriotism. Did every single country music artist feel that way? No. But the majority wielding power did...

John certainly loved his country, but he loved human life/human beings and nature more. He never approved of nuclear armament, destruction of rain forest, or kill or be killed. In short, John believed in peace and harmony.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
John was excommunicated from the old guard country music industry for being too hippie dippie. It was very different in those days. Crossing over genres was not the norm or accepted. Collective thinking? What's that?

Back then, country music was about the good old boys and girls (club) being true to country roots of oppression, suppression, bigotry, and misguided patriotism. Did every single country music artist feel that way? No. But the majority wielding power did...

John certainly loved his country, but he loved human life/human beings and nature more. He never approved of nuclear armament, destruction of rain forest, or kill or be killed. In short, John believed in peace and harmony.
Who said he wasn't.Now you're talking about country music,I can name over a dozen artist all feel the same way...again what is your point?

John was a great,great singer /songwriter,whose musical roots were folk.Country and folk music have been closely compared for decades,look at Johns awards and accolades,pretty sure from the list country music liked JD .
Awards | John Denver

I can tell you are more than a fan but please,I have no idea where you are going with any of this

Old 08-05-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Who said he wasn't.Now you're talking about country music,I can name over a dozen artist all feel the same way...again what is your point?

John was a great,great singer /songwriter,whose musical roots were folk.Country and folk music have been closely compared for decades,look at Johns awards and accolades,pretty sure from the list country music liked JD .
Awards | John Denver

I can tell you are more than a fan but please,I have no idea where you are going with any of this

I must have misinterpreted. Sorry. My bad.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:47 PM

2,392 posts, read 843,532 times
So I'm curious. Who in this conversation has read "Take Me Home", and believes John Denver spoke the truth about his own life in his autobiography?

And follow up question, who can name another pop musicians of the 1960's and early 70's who was rejected by fellow musicians for being anti-war or being environmentalist?

Old 08-07-2017, 10:14 AM

682 posts, read 1,340,411 times
So timely. My son has recently been really getting into JD and I said that he died the same year as Princess Diana and how sad it was.
I had literally just started to love him. Saw him live the year before he died - walked in not expecting much, walked out a MASSIVE fan and starting eating up all his music. He was a gentleman and a great song writer. I worked for the sound company that did the audio for his last tour (at the time) and everyone on the crew couldn't stop raving about what a great person he was.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So I'm curious. Who in this conversation has read "Take Me Home", and believes John Denver spoke the truth about his own life in his autobiography?

And follow up question, who can name another pop musicians of the 1960's and early 70's who was rejected by fellow musicians for being anti-war or being environmentalist?

John might have felt that way but that was not the truth as I have pointed out.Springsteen ,Dylan,Crosby,Stills and Nash and Young as well as Arlo Guthrie and Pete Seeger,the Beatles..... again the list can go on.Sounds like you and others only want to concentrate on the negative instead of the great part about JD.

Old 08-07-2017, 12:56 PM

826 posts, read 708,341 times
I was a kid, I listened to John Denver and I thought he was cheesy because I was into rock but his song " Rocky mountain High " had a huge impact on me when I moved to Colorado. Sometimes people told me I looked like him when I was in High School. We took a ditch day and drove to Aspen I actually thought I might run into him...

Old 08-10-2017, 10:10 AM

65,097 posts, read 73,068,761 times
Quote:
Yep. That's right. This coming October will mark 20th anniversary of John's death. Where'd the time go?

This thread is open. Say what you want and feel.

Feel free to share your memories of the singer/songwriter.

But most of all, remember to be kind!
and the older we get the faster time flies. John Denver and Jim Crochie (spelling) were 2 of the best in their time and died way to young. Every time I hear John Denver's Country Road or Crochie singing South Side of Chicago I long for more like them today, but music has changed so much since the last century, especially the 50s to 80s.

I will add just one more thing: I don't really think his political views have much to do with his singing ability. As for country music, it is still pretty much the same as it was then, leans to the right, but again, that isn't what we are talking about here I don't think. Oh and I consider him more folk music than country.

Last edited by nmnita; 08-10-2017 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities