U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 07:09 AM

8,962 posts, read 2,117,291 times

Advertisements

I admired him for his charity work ,always looked forward to the "telethon" .Liked his dramatic roles but never got the appeal of his comidy.RIP Mr. Lewis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 07:35 AM

5,599 posts, read 4,573,092 times
I watched some of the old Colgate Comedy Hour episodes on Youtube, which he hosted with Dean Martin. My favorite was the arcade sketch where he played Dean Martin's screeching haft-wit son. It also featured a nine-year-old Christopher Walken. I thought those old early 50's episodes were funnier than their movies...probably because they were live.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:47 AM

4,371 posts, read 3,932,941 times
Never cared for his comedy, and he seemed to be a real jerk when I'd seen him interviewed, but he certainly deserves credit and commendation for his charitable work.

I understand that when he'd be asked why he got involved with MD, he'd say that he'd reveal the answer when a cure was found. There's no cure for MD yet. Did he reveal the answer before his death?

I can easily watch him at the beginning of this clip in order to see the rest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffdp_J_5VQY

Old 08-21-2017, 08:02 AM

253 posts, read 105,528 times
We recently borrowed some of his early movies and there were some scenes we had to watch more than once because he was so funny. He was Jim Carrey before Jim Carrey was born!

I always thought it was horrible the way he was kicked off the MD telethon. He was the reason many folks watched.

A true pioneer for sure. RIP Mr. Lewis. You will be missed and always remembered.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:21 AM

7,799 posts, read 7,531,101 times
There was a Jerry Lewis cartoon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X0g6-vEDTLw

Old 08-21-2017, 10:12 AM

311 posts, read 51,590 times
Default Jerry

I loved Jerry. I loved his movies, and that nerdy character he played in them. Family Jewels and Sailor Beware were my childhood favorites. Jerry proved he could act, not just cut up for the camera. He was excellent in King of Comedy and Funny Bones

Old 08-21-2017, 01:25 PM

13,953 posts, read 6,436,335 times
Admittedly I'm a huge Dean Martin fan. I have mixed feelings about Jerry. I certainly admired his charity work and felt he was treated shamefully by the MDA at the end of that relationship. In the Martin & Lewis years I thought he could -- at times -- be downright hilarious. The television talk shows he hosted in the 1960s were a disaster. And I think the overriding problem -- at least for me -- is that he didn't grow as a performer. I admired his frankness in his book about him and Dean, although in some interviews he could be very snarky about a variety of topics.

There's no doubt, however, about his importance in the history of American entertainment. May he rest in peace.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:40 PM

13,065 posts, read 9,677,021 times
Another side of Jerry... political views...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND96cCi8qf8

Old 08-21-2017, 02:32 PM

26,727 posts, read 7,248,003 times

Hmmm....let's see...posting about his affairs, his daughter (which is really an article about how he "neglected" his sons) and, now, that talked-about interview where we see a cantankerous Jerry--something he sadly devolved into towards the end of his life.

Yes, he had his faults. Many of us don't think now is the time to marinate in them. Enough, already.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:37 PM

3,583 posts, read 1,913,295 times
This is an interesting article about Lewis's work with the MDA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.0dce4b6db17e

Although there were many detractors who objected to Lewis's attempts to raise money by appealing to people's sense of pity, the fact is that my brother died of Duchenne muscular dystrophy in 1978 just before his 22nd birthday, which was longer than average back then, and now people with that disease often live to their early 30's and sometimes even much longer. I don't know if that is a such a good thing for many -- it is a HORRIBLE disease -- but there is no doubt in my mind that it was through Lewis's efforts that such gains were possible. I am also thankful to the people who gave money to MDA because it allowed my family to get my brother his wheelchair at no cost to them -- and back then, my parents could not have afforded it without going into debt. (We were borderline poor.)

So, thank you, Mr. Lewis -- and I hope you rest in peace or in heaven.

Last edited by whocares811; 08-21-2017 at 03:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities