U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-20-2017, 06:18 PM
 
Location: No Coordinates Found
1,240 posts, read 271,230 times
Reputation: 783

Advertisements

He will be missed. I remember a lot of his comedic work. I don't recall when he left the entertainment scene to take up his civil rights activism, but I'm glad the world had him for both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-20-2017, 06:27 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
30,570 posts, read 38,155,551 times
Reputation: 49016
Yes, he's a figure of my youth, and now Jerry Lewis too. Who will be #3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 06:37 PM
 
15,470 posts, read 18,770,333 times
Reputation: 44757
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoldenLife View Post
He will be missed. I remember a lot of his comedic work. I don't recall when he left the entertainment scene to take up his civil rights activism, but I'm glad the world had him for both.
I have a few of those. He released some lp's on the Colpix label in the early 1960's that I picked up at various Woolco, TG and Y, and Woolworth stores back in the day. Certain comedy albums are quite popular with vintage vinyl collectors, among them are Gregory, Jackie Mason, Rodney Dangerfield, and of course Lenny Bruce. I still have them-still enjoy them.

Gregory was a sports fan and provided interesting commentary on various ESPN Sports Century bios in 2000. In that year ESPN won an Emmy Award for best television documentary.

Like MGL stated, he'll be missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 10:41 PM
 
Location: No Coordinates Found
1,240 posts, read 271,230 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Yes, he's a figure of my youth, and now Jerry Lewis too. Who will be #3?
Same here. Let's hope there is no #3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 10:42 PM
 
Location: No Coordinates Found
1,240 posts, read 271,230 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I have a few of those. He released some lp's on the Colpix label in the early 1960's that I picked up at various Woolco, TG and Y, and Woolworth stores back in the day. Certain comedy albums are quite popular with vintage vinyl collectors, among them are Gregory, Jackie Mason, Rodney Dangerfield, and of course Lenny Bruce. I still have them-still enjoy them.

Gregory was a sports fan and provided interesting commentary on various ESPN Sports Century bios in 2000. In that year ESPN won an Emmy Award for best television documentary.

Like MGL stated, he'll be missed.
Ummm, you remember Woolworth's? Uh oh. Telling my age here. Yes my dad had Mom's Mabley, Redd Foxx and I think I might have a vinyl Eddie Murphy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-20-2017, 10:46 PM
 
Location: New Yawk
8,024 posts, read 3,917,488 times
Reputation: 12355
I remember reading his autobiography in college. Life changing book for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 02:43 PM
 
778 posts, read 421,568 times
Reputation: 952
Rip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2017, 03:23 PM
 
863 posts, read 1,123,866 times
Reputation: 1707
RIP Mr. Gregory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top