U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 10:12 AM

1,475 posts, read 1,649,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Lon Chaney, Jr., was good.

No problem with Carrie Fisher or Michael Douglas.

Not particularly impressed with the music made by Hank Williams, Jr., Julian Lennon, or Sean Lennon.

Check this abbreviated lip-synch of Dino, Desi, and Billy, doing their hit, "I'm a Fool".
As far as I'm concerned, Jakob Dylan is way better than his dad, Bob.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2017, 10:28 AM

4,801 posts, read 5,407,971 times
Nepotism -- or more politely -- children of actors following in their parents footsteps for a career -- isn't new.

Think the Barrymores, the Redgraves, the Carradines, Danny and Marlo Thomas, Dub and Buck Taylor, Fred and Keenan Wynn, etc.

But today with the parent him or herself likely not even being that talented or famous -- AND with people becoming famous for doing nothing other than being famous or being able to get enough hits on social media.....I feel that yes, the children of celebs -- an even wannabes -- ARE being pushed down our throat.

But.....that's life, and as I said it's not really new.

I've seen Lisa Rinna and Harry Hamlin's girls. They are NOT model material. But they're famous so they're hired. The Hadid sisters ARE gorgeous. But then again beauty is subjective and in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? I never thought Tyra Banks or Cheryl Tiegs were anything special. Walk down the street any day of the week and you could find more gorgeous women.

But, again.......that's life.

Hey, if a parent can help their kid with a pre-made career.....why wouldn't they?

The ultimate example of riding on parents' coattails is Melissa Rivers. BUT, people who defend her say she really is smart and talented and did produce her mom's shows. That may be. But the bottom line is she wouldn't be where she is IF she weren't Joan Rivers' daughter. Heck her real last name should be Rosenberg after her dad. Why take her mom's STAGE name as her name? I'd much more respect her and other celeb kids if they DO NOT use their famous parents stage name. Get a gig on your own with no one even knowing who you are...THEN I can maybe give you some credit.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:59 AM

11,481 posts, read 11,467,209 times
Gwyenth Paltrow's daughter looks almost exactly like her mother.

Gwyneth Paltrow's Daughter Apple Turns 13, Is the Spitting Image of Her Mother

Old 09-16-2017, 09:27 AM

4,801 posts, read 5,407,971 times
It IS amazing how those kids really are spitting imagines of their parent. Which I know can happen, and does happen a lot.

(Being part of a blended family, I didn't grow up with (none of us look like each other) that so identical parents and children have always just blown my mind)

Old 09-18-2017, 11:47 AM

7,262 posts, read 10,182,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Nepotism -- or more politely -- children of actors following in their parents footsteps for a career -- isn't new.

Lots of bad things aren't new but that doesn't make it right

Think the Barrymores, the Redgraves, the Carradines, Danny and Marlo Thomas, Dub and Buck Taylor, Fred and Keenan Wynn, etc.

But today with the parent him or herself likely not even being that talented or famous -- AND with people becoming famous for doing nothing other than being famous or being able to get enough hits on social media.....I feel that yes, the children of celebs -- an even wannabes -- ARE being pushed down our throat.

But.....that's life, and as I said it's not really new.

I've seen Lisa Rinna and Harry Hamlin's girls. They are NOT model material. But they're famous so they're hired. The Hadid sisters ARE gorgeous. But then again beauty is subjective and in the eye of the beholder, isn't it? I never thought Tyra Banks or Cheryl Tiegs were anything special. Walk down the street any day of the week and you could find more gorgeous women.

But, again.......that's life.

Hey, if a parent can help their kid with a pre-made career.....why wouldn't they?

Some parents make their kids be independent and make their own money. Its called the right thing to do. Pulling strings is pulling strings. True in this case you could say only art suffers vs. say some parent using clout to get their drunk kid off DUI time and again till they kill someone. But wrong is wrong and I like TV and movies and want the best content.

The ultimate example of riding on parents' coattails is Melissa Rivers. BUT, people who defend her say she really is smart and talented and did produce her mom's shows. That may be. But the bottom line is she wouldn't be where she is IF she weren't Joan Rivers' daughter. Heck her real last name should be Rosenberg after her dad. Why take her mom's STAGE name as her name? I'd much more respect her and other celeb kids if they DO NOT use their famous parents stage name. Get a gig on your own with no one even knowing who you are...THEN I can maybe give you some credit. Except many do use their more obscure parents name but that doesn't stop them from jumping the line. Its a closed community, producers, CEO's, writers, casters etc. know who they are.
Nicholas Cage is an example. Through his father, Cage is also related to director Francis Ford Coppola (uncle), actress Talia Shire (aunt), director Sofia Coppola (cousin), actor Jason Schwartzman (cousin), and actor/musician Robert Schwartzman (cousin).
At fifteen years old he tried to convince his uncle, Francis Ford Coppola, to give him a screen test, telling him "I'll show you acting." His outburst was met with "silence in the car".[13] By this stage of his career, Coppola had already directed Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, Gene Hackman and Robert De Niro. To avoid the appearance of nepotism as Coppola's nephew, he changed his name early in his career to Nicolas Cage, inspired in part by the Marvel Comics superhero Luke Cage.[14]
I admire his intent but I don't believe that his last name really being Coppola wasn't know and didn't help. I do give him credit though.

Early last week (so the 11th or 12th? of Sept) the show E Pop was covering fashion week and the subject actually came up! Gee we sure are seeing lots of famous kids on the Runway! Lots and lots of famous kids! Whats gong on here? Then they interviewed famous mom with kid and I can't even remember who, she was, someone I recognized as fairly big, anyway the famous Mom was gushing about her daughter (who was at that point just attending with her mom) being so smart she was going to be a Dr and the daughter butts in "Dr. model, actor, we'll see!" Yep, go for the easy gig for sure why not?
So the E Pop people are discussing and Dr. Oz's daughter was a guest and of course she's all why not as is the other woman who is pregnant. Only the black guy thought it was wrong. Couldn't find a clip to load.

Last edited by Giesela; 09-18-2017 at 12:00 PM..

Old 09-18-2017, 08:43 PM

16,256 posts, read 19,517,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Celebrities hardly corner the market when it comes to nepotism.
Very true. We have only to look at the White House to know that.

Old 09-21-2017, 10:26 PM

6,557 posts, read 6,956,463 times
I always loved Elizabeth Montgomery.

Bonnie Rait went in a very different direction from her famous dad.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:27 PM
BMI

5,170 posts, read 2,704,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Gwyenth Paltrow's daughter looks almost exactly like her mother.

Gwyneth Paltrow's Daughter Apple Turns 13, Is the Spitting Image of Her Mother
And Gwyenth looks like HER mother looked when she was younger,
and she was also an actress....a pretty good one too back in the 70s.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:20 AM

11,481 posts, read 11,467,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
And Gwyenth looks like HER mother looked when she was younger,
and she was also an actress....a pretty good one too back in the 70s.
Agreed. Blythe Danner is--and was--beautiful.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/1c/06/fd/1...ft-classic.jpg

Old 09-25-2017, 12:28 PM

10 posts, read 1,383 times
If you're going to compare Vanessa Paradis to Mick Jagger's daughter at least use pictures from the same relative age.

Https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6f/19/42/6...zine-covers.jp

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...ad431526dc.jpg

https://lastfm-img2.akamaized.net/i/...025364e18e.jpg

*sorry, I am unable to post links for some reason. Please cut and paste the url
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities