Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 12:05 AM

63 posts, read 43,878 times

Advertisements

Those were his last words, according to his daughter.

Was he referring to his drinking? Or was it something else?

Old 12-02-2017, 07:26 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeWong View Post

I suppose only he can answer that.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:14 PM

666 posts, read 512,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeWong View Post

I thought it was obvious what he meant. He didn't accomplish all the things he wanted in life because he was too busy wasting time doing other things that weren't as important.

Old 12-02-2017, 04:35 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Well, that's what his estranged daughter claims he said...

I doubt he thought his life or "time" was wasted. Many people live full lives in spite of their unfortunate addictions. Also, with the exception of his mug shots, he's always looked happy.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:10 PM

5,574 posts, read 6,498,880 times
If he was estranged from his daughter, and he spoke these last words to her, perhaps he meant it as a regret especially to her.

Old 12-02-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
If he was estranged from his daughter, and he spoke these last words to her, perhaps he meant it as a regret especially to her.

I don't think he even said it. But she might have been thinking that.

David Cassidy was very clear about his relationship with her. He said publicly, that he was her biological father, but didn't consider himself to be her dad because he didn't raise her, and wasn't around when she was growing up.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:10 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Well, that's what his estranged daughter claims he said...

I doubt he thought his life or "time" was wasted. Many people live full lives in spite of their unfortunate addictions. Also, with the exception of his mug shots, he's always looked happy.

You don't know that what the late Mr. Cassidy meant by those words, do you? In fact neither do any of us which is how things often are and should be.

You also do not know nor can judge someone's life by the façade they present to the public. Scores if not hundreds of persons have "seemed happy" to others yet turned around and committed suicide.

The life late David Cassidy had may or may not have been the one he wanted. As goes the oft quoted saying "life is what happens when you are busy doing other things".

Many persons at middle age, senior citizen and or near death look back at their lives and feel they wasted much time and or otherwise didn't do enough with themselves. There is even a famous French song "Heir Encore" (loosely translated into Yesterday When I Was Young), about just this phenomenon.

David Cassidy like many of the other teen idols of the "Tigerbeat" 1970's (Donnie Osmond, Leif Garrett, The DeFranco Family, etc...) of the Bubblegum pop didn't fare well once that genre died off (replaced by disco). Some accepted things as they were and faded off into the background. A few managed to go onto very successful careers (Michael Jackson), and others kept trying to make something happen again.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You don't know that what the late Mr. Cassidy meant by those words, do you? In fact neither do any of us which is how things often are and should be.

You also do not know nor can judge someone's life by the façade they present to the public. Scores if not hundreds of persons have "seemed happy" to others yet turned around and committed suicide.

The life late David Cassidy had may or may not have been the one he wanted. As goes the oft quoted saying "life is what happens when you are busy doing other things".

Many persons at middle age, senior citizen and or near death look back at their lives and feel they wasted much time and or otherwise didn't do enough with themselves. There is even a famous French song "Heir Encore" (loosely translated into Yesterday When I Was Young), about just this phenomenon.

David Cassidy like many of the other teen idols of the "Tigerbeat" 1970's (Donnie Osmond, Leif Garrett, The DeFranco Family, etc...) of the Bubblegum pop didn't fare well once that genre died off (replaced by disco). Some accepted things as they were and faded off into the background. A few managed to go onto very successful careers (Michael Jackson), and others kept trying to make something happen again.

I'm glad you don't know, either, what he meant by those supposed last words.

My point is that I don't think he said them. But I think he'd want to be remembered as the talented, smiling, upbeat person many people remember rather than the dour picture you painted.

Old 12-02-2017, 09:45 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I'm glad you don't know, either, what he meant by those supposed last words.

My point is that I don't think he said them. But I think he'd want to be remembered as the talented, smiling, upbeat person many people remember rather than the dour picture you painted.
I don't think his daughter would lie about his last words, especially when others were there and could dispute it. I also don't know that they were said directly to her. My take was that he said it to himself and/or to everyone in the room...and what I took it to mean is that he immersed himself in alcohol and wasted time that he could have spent with loved ones. Shirley Jones and at least one of his brothers said there was a rift in the family because of his alcoholism and that he was isolating himself from the family. Danny Bonaduce also said that David wasn't talking to anyone after he announced he had dementia.

And I really wonder if instead of dementia he had end stage liver disease and alcoholic encephalopathy and I wonder if he knew that but was trying to save face by calling it dementia instead. I was reading the comments section of some article last week and the article and comments were before David died and someone commented who apparently knew him personally and said he had accepted his diagnosis of liver failure and duct cancer. Someone asked if David had cancer but the original poster didn't reply to that question. I would assume they meant bile duct cancer. If the person posting really did know David personally and the comments were true, then there was more going on than we knew about and David realized he was going to die.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:13 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post

Did you mean Hier Encore? Loosely translated as Only Yesterday? Literally translated as yesterday again.

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans-from John Lennon's Beautiful Boy

Agree with your post. You really don't know any public figures from their public personna. Look at all of the comedians who suffered from depression.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities