U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 10:09 AM

2,244 posts, read 807,168 times

Advertisements

Facebook was useful in the early days when it was exclusive to college campuses and allowed people to connect with common interest groups. It was even useful when I moved across country and allowed me to share my experiences with my family back home.

But now Facebook is mostly bogged down with advertisements and political rantings and fake news sources. There are very few times where I come across something that wows me. My family hardly uses it, so I don't share much on the platform anymore. The only uses I've had for it recently is to create events and invite others who are on it. But even my (younger Millennial) friends are backing away from FB. So now invitations go out via text message or email. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 11:13 AM

2,317 posts, read 2,099,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not it's not. It's quite easy to avoid it.
Yes... it is.. for most people. I've watched them.... they might avoid 90%.. but then they just have to speak up about something they've read.
You are obviously further evolved and enlightened and have greater willpower than most others.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:16 AM

667 posts, read 232,561 times
Quote:
Sigh. I'm keeping MY FACEBOOK ACCOUNT. Better?

No.

You don't "have" a Facebook account. Facebook is a playground. It "gives" you a little sandbox on the web for you to play in, using the toys it wants you to use and for its benefit. But you don't own that sandbox and you don't get to decide which toys to play with or what games to play.

Now if you had a blog or a website, you would actually have an "account." You'd have the freedom to do what you want on it, say what you want, do what you want, express yourself however you want.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:31 AM

16,845 posts, read 51,301,408 times
I'm one of the few people the FB algorithm pack hasn't been able to figure out. With satellite feed, my "location" wanders all over the country, so I've received political ads from Texas and multiple requests from FB to have me let them know where I grew up and went to school. I haven't posted or liked enough political crap for it to get a handle on that, and my acquaintances (I determine what I define as "friend" and who a friend is, Mark!) are from all over.

Very rarely, there will be something of interest, but I've been caught a couple of times when I tried to come back to an item only to find it had completely disappeared. Without repeatability or easy searching, such nonsense is worthless to me.

I'm toying with the idea of following a bunch of stuff in Australia and Lithuania just to mess with the algorithm further.

Old 02-08-2018, 11:31 AM

30,402 posts, read 9,081,069 times
I don't have a FB account, and couldn't care less about it--but not because, as loopy Carrey thinks, they're not "vigilant" enough.

Comedian Jim Carrey urges people to delete their Facebook accounts and dump the stock-27459365_1216322908504558_3345089991272071866_n.jpg

Old 02-08-2018, 11:57 AM

7,964 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
No.

You don't "have" a Facebook account. Facebook is a playground. It "gives" you a little sandbox on the web for you to play in, using the toys it wants you to use and for its benefit. But you don't own that sandbox and you don't get to decide which toys to play with or what games to play.

Now if you had a blog or a website, you would actually have an "account." You'd have the freedom to do what you want on it, say what you want, do what you want, express yourself however you want.
You're ridiculous. I never said I own it. I meant MY account as opposed to YOUR account or anyone else's account. But you know exactly what I mean. You're just being purposefully obtuse.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:39 PM

667 posts, read 232,561 times
Quote:
You're ridiculous. I never said I own it. I meant MY account as opposed to YOUR account or anyone else's account. But you know exactly what I mean. You're just being purposefully obtuse.

I'm not being obtuse. You are.

You didn't traipse onto this thread just to announce that you had and were keeping your FB account like two billion other people on the planet. You responded to this thread because Jim Carrey has negative feelings about it, and you feel otherwise. That's why you jumped in to say that you were keeping "your Facebook." You think it's hunky dory and you're going to hold onto it no matter what he or anyone says.

And I responded with a comment explaining why I don't think it's hunky dory. Everyone lovingly clutches to FB as if it was "their" prized possession or something that they own when it's the opposite. FB owns people, not the other way around. And it uses them for its own ends.

Old 02-08-2018, 01:46 PM

7,964 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:

You didn't traipse onto this thread just to announce that you had and were keeping your FB account like two billion other people on the planet. You responded to this thread because Jim Carrey has negative feelings about it, and you feel otherwise. That's why you jumped in to say that you were keeping "your Facebook." You think it's hunky dory and you're going to hold onto it no matter what he or anyone says.

And I responded with a comment explaining why I don't think it's hunky dory. Everyone lovingly clutches to FB as if it was "their" prized possession or something that they own when it's the opposite. FB owns people, not the other way around. And it uses them for its own ends.
You're picking a fight where there isn't one. I've never claimed to OWN my facebook, or my account, or anything on it. As I explained before, I meant "my account" as opposed to anyone else's. I don't care what anyone else does with their account, or if they choose to not have one at all. Back off.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:00 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,548,951 times
Data collection? Let me tell you a little story recently about my FB account.

For several years I operated under an alias for a couple of reasons. One primarily due to security concerns. I'd rather be left alone by a few people in my background. And two, inappropriate "friend requests" in my business world. I never once had a problem with it while under my alias.

Then last fall, against my own better judgment, I made a critical comment after another mass-shooting incident on the NRA Foundation site. I commented on a long-running thread on their site. Two days later I get an email from FB requesting that I verify my identity via sharing a scanned copy of a government-issued id (driver's license, passport, etc.) Or if I did not have a government ID, I could share a bank account statement that had my real name and address on it while blocking out certain account numbers (if I was concerned with security). I ignored the email, thought it was a scam, and kept on going. A week later, get another email from them, saying I have 10 days to comply or the account could be frozen. I responded that I have personal security concerns with having my real name on the internet, and would not be sending them my information. We went back and forth, and ultimately they did indeed freeze me out.

So, I decided I was done with FB after that, and responded to one of their emails that I was fine with leaving the platform, but would like to request that my profile be deleted in it's entirety and not left up and running. They said they would NOT delete my profile, and that I could log back in to delete it myself. BUT, they would not let me login without first verifying my identity like they had requested. I told them they should consult their legal team and look up the definition for extortion, as their tactic would easily fall under that federal crime. They want something of value from me before performing a task I have requested they do, which is a task they openly say they will do in general with a formal request to do so. Long story short, 48 hours after that exchange, my profile was deleted.

I was off FB for 6 weeks. I didn't realize how addicted I had become to it, and actually had "muscle memory" to grab my phone and look at FB whenever I had a moment. Took me about a week to shake that off. I was really surprised just how much more I enjoyed life after that. I felt a sense of privacy had been returned to me, a relief of not feeling judged and/or compared to my friend list (which was all but 30 people). I had 30, because many years ago when I was on as my real name, I ended up reconnecting with old high school and college "friends" from years past. The list grew to nearly 200 people. I began to realize why I lost contact with them in the first place, and wished I hadn't reconnected with them. So, I deleted that account and created the alias account for just a small handful of close friends and of course family around the country.

Seeing as how I have the only two grandkids in my family, I was getting a whole lot of guilt trips about leaving FB. I realized they enjoyed seeing the pictures and it helped to keep them connected from several hundred miles away. So, while I didn't really want to, I came back on but with a fake name and reconnected with just my family members and my close friends.

But, after those 6 weeks away, I have barely engaged FB in the same way as before, and honestly don't care about it at all. A cute photo of one of the kids doing something stupid, is about all I'll post up now.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:06 PM

1,700 posts, read 791,143 times
Quote:

what is wrong with you? stop it...

everyone knows what hertforshire meant. let it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities