U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 04:10 PM

1,686 posts, read 772,132 times

Advertisements

i haven't had facebook for years and don't miss it at all anymore. at first i admit it was hard to not go on there to see what was going on with everyone. but now i couldn't care less about it.

didn't i read somewhere recently that one of the original guys who invented (for lack of a better word) facebook now regrets it because of what it is now and what it is doing to people?

i'm still wondering, though, what is going to replace it someday. it can't go on forever. at some point it is going to be like myspace, which is still there but you don't ever hear anyone talking about it anymore, or completely gone. we will see i guess. someday.

forgot to talk about jim carrey! i don't really have any feelings towards jim one way or the other, but i kind of see his point. i don't know how many people will actually leave facebook and/or drop their shares/stock, if they have any, just because of what he says, but who knows.

Last edited by beachie123; 02-08-2018 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 05:35 PM

4,576 posts, read 6,032,030 times
I've never had an account and at this point, I feel since I've made it this far without one, I will just have to stick with that on principle. I have considered creating a stripped down one so I can see certain websites, maybe join a group or two, but the whole premise of the thing just doesn't interest me. I also have some family members I have no interest in being connected to and that could get complicated. Its easier just to avoid the whole thing entirely.

I am certain that if I was younger when it came out (like college age or younger), I probably would have jumped on it, though (I'm a Gen-Xer)

Old 02-08-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I have considered creating a stripped down one so I can see certain websites, maybe join a group or two, but the whole premise of the thing just doesn't interest me. I also have some family members I have no interest in being connected to and that could get complicated. Its easier just to avoid the whole thing entirely.
i have an acct just for this purpose. i don't consider myself "on facebook" because i made a separate email account just for this purpose, so no one that i know can find me there. i use a fake name and i am there only for a couple of groups that i originally found through meetup, but they post events and photos on their facebook accounts so i wanted to see what they are posting and what is going on that gets left out of the meetup pages and also a couple of the people from meetup said more goes on in one of the groups through faceback rather than meetup. the groups that i am a part of are secret groups too. so my own page and account has nothing on it. i hide my groups. i have no "friends", no pictures, etc.

i am there strictly for these secret groups. every now and then i might look up a business or a person. i don't even look up any friends or family anymore. i am so over all of that.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:05 PM

4,576 posts, read 6,032,030 times
Do you get asked to verify your identity with your fake accounts? That is what I am concerned about. Also I wonder if FB can use your IP address and figure out who you are even if you use a different email account.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:17 PM

1,431 posts, read 499,409 times
Facebook is a convenient tool for remaining in touch with distant people and others that I do not see every day. I don't check it all that often - once or twice a week - and don't often post, but it is useful nonetheless.

Privacy? I don't put anything out there that I don't mind everyone seeing.

Politics? I don't post political stuff or let others bait me into responding to their political rants.

Overuse? I don't spend much time on it.

Facebook is like anything. Just like I can have a beer or two and then stop, just like I can watch an episode of a television show without binge-watching the next 12 episodes, just like I can have a bowl of chips and not inhale the entire bag, I can use Facebook judiciously.

It's really not that hard.

PS - I like Jim Carrey the actor. He's an actor. That's it. I enjoy his performances. But I don't make the mistake of thinking that, because I like someone's artistic performances, that I should be taking life advice from them.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Do you get asked to verify your identity with your fake accounts? That is what I am concerned about. Also I wonder if FB can use your IP address and figure out who you are even if you use a different email account.
i didn't have any problem opening a fake account.

but i take it back about having no "friends". i do have a few that are from the groups, because to be a part of the secret groups someone has to "invite" you. these were people that i know only through the groups though.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:42 PM

2,557 posts, read 904,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Data collection? Let me tell you a little story recently about my FB account.

For several years I operated under an alias for a couple of reasons. One primarily due to security concerns. I'd rather be left alone by a few people in my background. And two, inappropriate "friend requests" in my business world. I never once had a problem with it while under my alias.

Then last fall, against my own better judgment, I made a critical comment after another mass-shooting incident on the NRA Foundation site. I commented on a long-running thread on their site. Two days later I get an email from FB requesting that I verify my identity via sharing a scanned copy of a government-issued id (driver's license, passport, etc.) Or if I did not have a government ID, I could share a bank account statement that had my real name and address on it while blocking out certain account numbers (if I was concerned with security). I ignored the email, thought it was a scam, and kept on going. A week later, get another email from them, saying I have 10 days to comply or the account could be frozen. I responded that I have personal security concerns with having my real name on the internet, and would not be sending them my information. We went back and forth, and ultimately they did indeed freeze me out.

So, I decided I was done with FB after that, and responded to one of their emails that I was fine with leaving the platform, but would like to request that my profile be deleted in it's entirety and not left up and running. They said they would NOT delete my profile, and that I could log back in to delete it myself. BUT, they would not let me login without first verifying my identity like they had requested. I told them they should consult their legal team and look up the definition for extortion, as their tactic would easily fall under that federal crime. They want something of value from me before performing a task I have requested they do, which is a task they openly say they will do in general with a formal request to do so. Long story short, 48 hours after that exchange, my profile was deleted.

I was off FB for 6 weeks. I didn't realize how addicted I had become to it, and actually had "muscle memory" to grab my phone and look at FB whenever I had a moment. Took me about a week to shake that off. I was really surprised just how much more I enjoyed life after that. I felt a sense of privacy had been returned to me, a relief of not feeling judged and/or compared to my friend list (which was all but 30 people). I had 30, because many years ago when I was on as my real name, I ended up reconnecting with old high school and college "friends" from years past. The list grew to nearly 200 people. I began to realize why I lost contact with them in the first place, and wished I hadn't reconnected with them. So, I deleted that account and created the alias account for just a small handful of close friends and of course family around the country.

Seeing as how I have the only two grandkids in my family, I was getting a whole lot of guilt trips about leaving FB. I realized they enjoyed seeing the pictures and it helped to keep them connected from several hundred miles away. So, while I didn't really want to, I came back on but with a fake name and reconnected with just my family members and my close friends.

But, after those 6 weeks away, I have barely engaged FB in the same way as before, and honestly don't care about it at all. A cute photo of one of the kids doing something stupid, is about all I'll post up now.
It sounds like you have some "issues."

Old 02-08-2018, 07:44 PM

3,826 posts, read 4,438,441 times
I haven't used Facebook for 2 years. I find better use of Twitter and Instagram.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:51 PM

8,434 posts, read 2,952,911 times
I'm taking the libertarian view on this one.

Like facebook? Keep it and enjoy.

Don't like facebook?..... don't use it. (me)

Old 02-08-2018, 07:53 PM

26,815 posts, read 17,234,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
It's not "your Facebook." You're nothing but a source of ad revenue for predatory companies and other entities.

Which is really weird because I don't think I have ever viewed an ad or read a news story on FB. It's for me to keep in contact with people and that's how I use it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities