U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 08:14 PM
Status: "A subtle racist is still a racist" (set 8 days ago)

16,482 posts, read 7,852,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
I'm not being obtuse. You are.

You didn't traipse onto this thread just to announce that you had and were keeping your FB account like two billion other people on the planet. You responded to this thread because Jim Carrey has negative feelings about it, and you feel otherwise. That's why you jumped in to say that you were keeping "your Facebook." You think it's hunky dory and you're going to hold onto it no matter what he or anyone says.

And I responded with a comment explaining why I don't think it's hunky dory. Everyone lovingly clutches to FB as if it was "their" prized possession or something that they own when it's the opposite. FB owns people, not the other way around. And it uses them for its own ends.
Every company uses customers for its own ends. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 08:18 PM
Status: "A subtle racist is still a racist" (set 8 days ago)

16,482 posts, read 7,852,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Facebook is a convenient tool for remaining in touch with distant people and others that I do not see every day. I don't check it all that often - once or twice a week - and don't often post, but it is useful nonetheless.

Privacy? I don't put anything out there that I don't mind everyone seeing.

Politics? I don't post political stuff or let others bait me into responding to their political rants.

Overuse? I don't spend much time on it.

Facebook is like anything. Just like I can have a beer or two and then stop, just like I can watch an episode of a television show without binge-watching the next 12 episodes, just like I can have a bowl of chips and not inhale the entire bag, I can use Facebook judiciously.

It's really not that hard.

PS - I like Jim Carrey the actor. He's an actor. That's it. I enjoy his performances. But I don't make the mistake of thinking that, because I like someone's artistic performances, that I should be taking life advice from them.
I am a frequent Facebook user because, as you say, it is a convenient tool for remaining in touch with people whom otherwise would be out of easy reach.

And, as you say, although I think Jim Carrey is a talented man, I could care less what he thinks about Facebook or any other political issue...even though my guess is that he and I might be -- in general -- on the same side of issues.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:36 PM

667 posts, read 197,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You're picking a fight where there isn't one. I've never claimed to OWN my facebook, or my account, or anything on it. As I explained before, I meant "my account" as opposed to anyone else's. I don't care what anyone else does with their account, or if they choose to not have one at all. Back off.
I'm not picking any fight, so have a nice evening and remember what they said about not staring too deeply into the abyss.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Every company uses customers for its own ends. Period.
I meant used as in "exploited." Not every company exploits its customers, especially not in the way Facebook does and with such a flagrant lack of disregard for the individual. Before FB, people actually had more creative and personal freedom to do what they wanted and express themselves. People used to spend hours a week lovingly crafting their MySpace/Live Journal pages, customizing the palettes, writing their thoughts and observations. FB has made it so that people are no longer wanting to do anything beyond any activity it can't exploit financially or use for data mining purposes. If FB were actually encouraging people to be more thoughtful, creative and expressive that would be one thing, but it's so greedy and so exploitative, it won't even allow for that. It wants to dumb down and micro-manage human beings as much as possible to maximize profits.

I don't think I've ever seen anything like it and I've been trying to wrack my brains coming up with an analogy but I can't because of how crazy it is. It's practically dystopian.

Last edited by EastFlatbush; 02-08-2018 at 10:43 PM..

Old 02-08-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Which is really weird because I don't think I have ever viewed an ad or read a news story on FB. It's for me to keep in contact with people and that's how I use it.
A lot of people don't view TV ads, either. They do other things, go to the bathroom, etc. And yet that doesn't prevent the networks generating billions of dollars otherwise in ad revenue.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:39 PM

25,129 posts, read 16,257,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
A lot of people don't view TV ads, either. They do other things, go to the bathroom, etc. And yet that doesn't prevent the networks generating billions of dollars otherwise in ad revenue.
And if everyone ignores commercials everywhere its billions of dollars spent for naught.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 02-09-2018, 06:49 AM

4,704 posts, read 4,371,830 times
A friend of mine puts it this way:

"I don't tweedle on Facemask."

Old 02-09-2018, 09:27 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,374,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It sounds like you have some "issues."
Outside of the 5 minutes I'm wasting of my life responding to this, I'm all good amigo.

The internet should be respected for the potential intrusion into your life that it can bring. Posting your real name on the internet, in my opinion, is very risky.

I live in the DC 'burbs. Several of my friends and neighbors are government contractors in the IT world, and data miners. One across the street was a Raytheon employee who had to have government security detail posted in her yard 24/7 after 9/11. Another neighbor works for a firm that helps to prevent cyber attacks on our infrastructure with, honest to goodness, spy stuff right down to envelops of cash at drop locations in exchange for little USB drives with impending hacker code so they can counter the attack when it's launched. Another neighbor mines personal shopping data and they sell it to retailers to allow them to figure out your shopping patterns and customize their ads to you. You don't really think it's a coincidence that 5 minutes after you've walked into a Target store that you're receiving emails for sale items that you find interesting, do you? Another neighbor was charged with building the secure site that is Visa's global security operations to make sure the credit card network never fails. ALL of them say the exact same thing - Never put your name on the internet (and lock your credit file with the 3 agencies).

I had an HR lady once push me to put up a profile on LinkedIn. I refused. After being threatened with my job for refusing, I offered her an example of why I refused. She agreed to consider it. Told her give me 20 minutes.

20 minutes later, via her LinkedIn profile and a few other widely known internet tricks, I was able to tell her where she lived, what she paid for the house, who her lender was, guestimate on her credit rating (wasn't very good), who her kids are, where they go to school, what grades they're in, what sports they play, how much she is likely being paid, when she got divorced and where her ex-husband lives, what he paid for his house, made assumption his new wife made the most money.......and she's late on not only her real taxes for her own home, but also for the lake home in upstate NY that she and her ex-husband bought 10 years ago.

In that email, I included several street-level photos of each of these locations via screen grabs from Google Earth, and a few family photos from her Facebook account.

She apologized for being rude to me, and immediately deleted her own LinkedIn account and changed her facebook account name as well.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
I had an HR lady once push me to put up a profile on LinkedIn. I refused. After being threatened with my job for refusing, I offered her an example of why I refused. She agreed to consider it. Told her give me 20 minutes.

20 minutes later, via her LinkedIn profile and a few other widely known internet tricks, I was able to tell her where she lived, what she paid for the house, who her lender was, guestimate on her credit rating (wasn't very good), who her kids are, where they go to school, what grades they're in, what sports they play, how much she is likely being paid, when she got divorced and where her ex-husband lives, what he paid for his house, made assumption his new wife made the most money.......and she's late on not only her real taxes for her own home, but also for the lake home in upstate NY that she and her ex-husband bought 10 years ago.

In that email, I included several street-level photos of each of these locations via screen grabs from Google Earth, and a few family photos from her Facebook account.

She apologized for being rude to me, and immediately deleted her own LinkedIn account and changed her facebook account name as well.
OMG, yes. This.

I'm amazed no one--and I mean no one--hasn't freaked out about this. This is so true! My parents have never, ever used the internet for any reason. And yet, with a few simple web searches, you can find everything there is know about them, like where they live, what their house is worth, how old they are, who they're related to, etc.

In searching myself on the web, I found sites that listed my previous address. I haven't lived at that place in well over 22 years but the internet has it listed. Why, I don't know.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:02 PM

4,314 posts, read 2,748,407 times
To quote coach Bill Belichik, "I don't have "Snapface" or any of that other stuff."

Amen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities