U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:56 AM

1,895 posts, read 1,860,481 times

Advertisements

I see the list of male actors that aren't considered good looking and are well known (and there are many many more).
How long is the list of females that don't look so good and are as well known?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2018, 11:06 AM

13,101 posts, read 7,185,584 times
Yes there are outliers as always, but if anyone wants to even remotely have an opportunity in Hollywood (or anywhere else around the world as an actress), you have to look good in a bikini or naked.

That's why many established hollywood actresses had to pay their 'dues' early in their career with scenes where they were naked and whatnot.

I mean, let's be real. Who wants to see an ugly leading lady actress? I can see that everyday walking out in public (no offense). I want to see hot ladies on screen. Future actresses are recruited from the ranks of models (both swimsuit and conventional), not from drama school. You can always teach acting, easier than you can change looks.

9 Hollywood Actresses Who Were Told They Weren't 'Pretty Enough' To Make It In Hollywood

Old 03-17-2018, 11:47 AM

5,974 posts, read 2,803,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
I see the list of male actors that aren't considered good looking and are well known (and there are many many more).
How long is the list of females that don't look so good and are as well known?
Well, let's just look at the most recent class of Oscar nominated actresses:

Frances McDormand
Sally Hawkins
Margot Robbie
Saoirse Ronan
Meryl Streep
Allison Janney
Mary J. Blige
Lesley Manville
Laurie Metcalf
Octavia Spencer

Of course, everyone is going to have a different threshhold for "good looking", but I think only a couple of these actresses would be on most "good looking" lists.

Old 03-17-2018, 01:07 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,729,985 times
A few as requested by writerwife, lol
Hope the OP does not mind me throwing in a comedian,

Joan Rivers (before the surgery)

Old 03-17-2018, 02:11 PM

12,697 posts, read 12,493,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Well, let's just look at the most recent class of Oscar nominated actresses:

Margot Robbie
Margot Robbie is drop dead gorgeous, IMO.

https://www.biography.com/people/margot-robbie-112217

Old 03-17-2018, 02:33 PM

942 posts, read 267,087 times
The best actors don't seem to follow the "cookie cutter" mold of good looking. What you say and how you say it is far more important then looking good while you say it.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:56 PM

5,974 posts, read 2,803,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Margot Robbie is drop dead gorgeous, IMO.

https://www.biography.com/people/margot-robbie-112217
I wasn't suggesting she isn't. I listed all the nominated actresses. She's one of the couple that I was saying probably would be on most people's "good looking" list. (the other being Saoirse Ronan).

Old 03-17-2018, 04:22 PM

6,646 posts, read 1,721,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
A few as requested by writerwife, lol
Hope the OP does not mind me throwing in a comedian,

Joan Rivers (before the surgery)

^^^^^ Some friends of ours used to live across the street from Phyllis Diller. She was quite funny IRL as well.

Old 03-17-2018, 05:00 PM

7,582 posts, read 4,403,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
... Phyllis Diller...
Phyllis went though a LOT of trouble to make herself look that bad... In her later life she may not have been a stone cold beauty, but...

Old 03-17-2018, 05:50 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,729,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
^^^^^ Some friends of ours used to live across the street from Phyllis Diller. She was quite funny IRL as well.
One night a couple months ago, one of our OTA channels showed a double feature of Bob Hope/Phyllis Diller movies, which I remember watching when I was a kid. The one where Bob works at a bank and he finds a big wad of money that was lost from the bank he worked at. He has a big family and has to decide what to do with the money, and Phyllis was the housekeeper. It was so silly, especially the chase scene at the end after they had been on the run for a while, I thoroughly enjoyed it, lol. I think every kid liked Phyllis Diller back in the day, she had a way about her that kids just loved.

Definitely agree with the earlier mention of Tommy Lee Jones,

Here's a few more to ponder.....

Last edited by mofford; 03-17-2018 at 06:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or