U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-17-2018, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Honolulu, HI
4,502 posts, read 1,117,117 times
Reputation: 6466

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron_stick View Post
Absolutely, attractive actors ruin a movie or a TV show. "Bay Watch" is the best example, a total commercial failure...Who watches a movie or listens to a record just because the cast/singer is hot anyways? :/
Yes, Bay Watch, clearly an award winning TV show with many Emmys and not an alternative to soft porn at the time. Great example.

Feminists would love you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-17-2018, 09:11 PM
 
3,448 posts, read 1,483,035 times
Reputation: 6046
It doesn't matter if you're a man. There's very few "ugly" women who are successful. Even if you don't want to date Kathy Bates, Ann Dowd or Margo Martindale, they aren't ugly. They have a kindness about them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 08:04 AM
 
Location: So Ca
13,793 posts, read 13,504,083 times
Reputation: 11759
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I wasn't suggesting she isn't. I listed all the nominated actresses. She's one of the couple that I was saying probably would be on most people's "good looking" list. (the other being Saoirse Ronan).
Sorry; it looked as if you were responding to the poster who said, "How long is the list of females that don't look so good and are as well known?" (Personally, I don't think any of the other actresses on that list are good looking, with the possible exception of Ronan.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 09:18 AM
 
7,817 posts, read 3,803,514 times
Reputation: 26878
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Sorry; it looked as if you were responding to the poster who said, "How long is the list of females that don't look so good and are as well known?" (Personally, I don't think any of the other actresses on that list are good looking, with the possible exception of Ronan.)
Exactly my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 12:48 PM
 
300 posts, read 110,213 times
Reputation: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Yes, Bay Watch, clearly an award winning TV show with many Emmys and not an alternative to soft porn at the time. Great example.

Feminists would love you.
Not sure what Bay Watch not being an award winning TV has to do with anything. The point is that it was hugely popular, had multiple seasons, a movie remake, still well-known 20 years later, how many TV shows can claim that? Obviously, the success has less to do with outstanding acting performances, or a captivating plot than with the fact that the whole thing was merely an excuse to display good-looking actors in tight fitting swim-suit. The bottom line is that sex sells, and film is an industry like any other. The goal is not to make artistically interesting films, but to put out productions as profitable as possible. An all-average looking cast or singer just won't attract the masses, no matter how good they might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 12:53 PM
 
4,554 posts, read 2,012,876 times
Reputation: 5980
Nope. The best ones are ‘interesting ‘ looking’.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 02:31 PM
Status: "In an Involuntary Time Warp" (set 15 days ago)
 
7,811 posts, read 10,123,670 times
Reputation: 11355
No, but have you noticed many actors/actresses have really nice eyes? Must be part of what makes them photogenic and can relay emotions through their eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2018, 05:47 PM
 
3,484 posts, read 1,967,951 times
Reputation: 5999
Forest Whitaker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2018, 11:04 AM
 
5,008 posts, read 580,019 times
Reputation: 13010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
It doesn't matter if you're a man. There's very few "ugly" women who are successful. Even if you don't want to date Kathy Bates, Ann Dowd or Margo Martindale, they aren't ugly. They have a kindness about them.
Ditto for Tyne Daly, whom someone on this thread posted as unattractive. No, she is no beauty according to most people, I think, but she just radiates warmth, imo. I have been a big fan of hers ever since the TV series "Christy" and "Judging Amy." Oh, and what about Colleen Dewhurst? Another very interesting and accomplished actress, although I doubt she would be anyone's idea of a great beauty. and ditto for Cloris Leachman. The list really does go on and on.

Last edited by katharsis; 03-20-2018 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-20-2018, 09:49 PM
 
Location: The Jar
20,071 posts, read 13,725,077 times
Reputation: 36706
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Ditto for Tyne Daly, whom someone on this thread posted as unattractive. No, she is no beauty according to most people, I think, but she just radiates warmth, imo. I have been a big fan of hers ever since the TV series "Christy" and "Judging Amy." Oh, and what about Colleen Dewhurst? Another very interesting and accomplished actress, although I doubt she would be anyone's idea of a great beauty. and ditto for Cloris Leachman. The list really does go on and on.
Kathy and Cloris had nice attributes in their glory days. Kathy's lips and bum=nice. And Cloris was quite pretty, and shapely, even after becoming the mother of five.

Tyne? Great example. Average at best.
Colleen? Great example. She was borderline homely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:25 AM.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top