U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2018, 11:51 AM
 
Location: USA
13,516 posts, read 7,344,738 times
Reputation: 9790

Advertisements

My uncle (now passed) was a combat Marine in WWII. He was called back to be a DI during the Korean War. He said Ermey's portrayal in FMJ was spot on. He actually said they were a bit worse during his era, but it was darn close.

RIP Gunny. You were great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2018, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Houston, texas
14,598 posts, read 10,166,947 times
Reputation: 11070
RIP Gunnery Sergeant Ronald Lee Ermey.
"If the Army and the Navy
Ever gaze on heaven's scene,
They will find the streets are guarded
By United States Marines."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpYHRcxM-p0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Sitting on a bar stool. Guinness in hand.
4,428 posts, read 5,497,700 times
Reputation: 1691
R.I.P. Gunny.

Your scenes in full metal jacket alone has secured your place in film and pop culture history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Virginia
1,295 posts, read 448,268 times
Reputation: 1147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
He was the greatest drill sergeant ever portrayed on film, nobody will ever touch him, nobody could ever do that role better than R. Lee Ermey.
RIP R. Lee Ermey
Semper Fi
I'm guessing that you have never seen The D.I. with Jack Webb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 07:08 PM
 
Location: Iowa
2,593 posts, read 2,894,384 times
Reputation: 3076
Quote:
Originally Posted by claymoore View Post
I'm guessing that you have never seen The D.I. with Jack Webb?
I just watched some clips of The D.I. on youtube, pretty hard to compare a straight laced 1957 movie to a raw 80's film like Full Metal Jacket. From what I read on wiki, The D.I. was kind of a flop, whereas Full Metal Jacket was a sleeper hit, and reached cult status after a few short years. I do like Jack Webb, however, but have not seen much of his 50's work, such as the original Dragnet series which began on radio in 1948 and the TV show which started in 1952. He died too young, only 62 when he passed in 1982. I kind of wonder what he would think of Los Angeles today, had he lived to see it. But I do want the man to rest in peace, so maybe not, lol.

Jack Webb net worth upon his death, 10 million in 1982, Lee Ermey net worth, 12 million in 2018. Jack Webb was smarter, R. Lee Ermey was tougher. They both had a wide ranging vocabulary which they used to great effect. As an American, I'm proud of them both. I'm certain Ermey could kick Webb's tail in a brawl, like if they were both the same age and had a throw down, Ermey would win. Especially from age 62 to 72, when Jack Webb had already turned into a pile of cigarette ashes at that point, Ermey could just sweep him off the walk and dump him in an ashtray.

Last edited by mofford; 04-16-2018 at 07:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Dfw
324 posts, read 93,930 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Full Metal Jacket Star R. Lee Ermey Dead at 74 | TMZ.com

Almost as sad as his passing are the ignorant comments made on this site on the announcement of this passing.
Why would anyone say anything bad about him? Very sad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 05:47 PM
 
18,149 posts, read 16,478,309 times
Reputation: 9752
He was in Fletch, too. He played a televangelist preacher who offered to heal Chevy Chase from his headaches and blurred vision after being struck by lightning. From that comedy to Full Metal Jacket, wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 05:56 PM
 
18,149 posts, read 16,478,309 times
Reputation: 9752
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I just watched some clips of The D.I. on youtube, pretty hard to compare a straight laced 1957 movie to a raw 80's film like Full Metal Jacket. From what I read on wiki, The D.I. was kind of a flop, whereas Full Metal Jacket was a sleeper hit, and reached cult status after a few short years. I do like Jack Webb, however, but have not seen much of his 50's work, such as the original Dragnet series which began on radio in 1948 and the TV show which started in 1952. He died too young, only 62 when he passed in 1982. I kind of wonder what he would think of Los Angeles today, had he lived to see it. But I do want the man to rest in peace, so maybe not, lol.

Jack Webb net worth upon his death, 10 million in 1982, Lee Ermey net worth, 12 million in 2018. Jack Webb was smarter, R. Lee Ermey was tougher. They both had a wide ranging vocabulary which they used to great effect. As an American, I'm proud of them both. I'm certain Ermey could kick Webb's tail in a brawl, like if they were both the same age and had a throw down, Ermey would win. Especially from age 62 to 72, when Jack Webb had already turned into a pile of cigarette ashes at that point, Ermey could just sweep him off the walk and dump him in an ashtray.
>>>>> I think " Dragnet" has to be one of the most overrated radio shows of all time. Not that Webb wasn't a good actor, but listening to the radio show is mind numbing. The small talk and banter of the characters was just awful. It was just pointless dribble padding out what they could have used time wise to add to the story. It came across as phony and just badly written.
I liked Joe Friday the character and his straight delivery trademark but that's all there was to the show. Webb was in " Sunset Boulevard" in a small role but he did a good job in that classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Iowa
2,593 posts, read 2,894,384 times
Reputation: 3076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
>>>>> I think " Dragnet" has to be one of the most overrated radio shows of all time. Not that Webb wasn't a good actor, but listening to the radio show is mind numbing. The small talk and banter of the characters was just awful. It was just pointless dribble padding out what they could have used time wise to add to the story. It came across as phony and just badly written.
I liked Joe Friday the character and his straight delivery trademark but that's all there was to the show. Webb was in " Sunset Boulevard" in a small role but he did a good job in that classic.
I figured there was some reason why they never show the 50's Dragnet, super weak? The good thing about Jack Webb, that guy never gave up, looking over his list of failed shows, it never bothered Jack, try try again, lol. The 60's Dragnet was great, but he should have put a little more into the show's budget, a lesson he applied to Adam-12 and Emergency. In Dragnet, many of the same actors appear over and over as different characters, and it is very noticeable to the audience. Also there was a little too much small change stuff in Adam 12 & Dragnet with pulling over drunk drivers and hand holding old ladies. A little more action was needed, but Jack's police lingo made up for some of the shortcomings, like Bill's strange eating and social habits, the after work dinners and fluff that was kind of lame sometimes. Jacks interrogation techniques and speech with use of street language was so awesome, like the Blue Boy episode where he asks the kid "You're pretty high and far out, aren't you?

*********

I was just watching Mail Call Snafu, R. Lee Ermey bloopers, really like the weapons demonstration part about 15 minutes in, especially the 50 cal M2 browning at the end of that segment.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnP17YCFs8I


Really getting an urge to watch Ermey in The Boys In Company C, 1978, which I have not yet seen in full, but there are some great clips of it on youtube, I want to see the whole thing. Full Metal Jacket was an incredible film, the fact that Ermey was a real D.I. in San Diego from '65 to '67, makes it more authentic than so many other 2nd rate Vietnam films of the time, like "The Expendables" for example with a jumping VC for every shot fired, 5 shots fired from helecopter.....5 VC guys die a jumping death, lol. Some people don't like the second half of Full Metal Jacket, but I have come to appreciate it for what it is, but really, if they could have found a way to bring Sergeant Hartman along like they did in Stripes, it would have been better, but not realistic as they always split up into different units and D.I.'s stay home to train more men. If I was going off to a war zone, I would want a D.I. like Ermey for boot camp, I think I would learn faster under his instruction, and be more likely to survive in battle.

Kind of disgusting how none of the major OTA networks had any sort of decent eulogy clip for R. Lee Ermey. Don't think I saw a peep about him for the last couple days, think I will search the Fox site and see what they have on Lee.

Concerning the military, people don't understand how important military power is, in maintaining our standard of living. It is what it is, don't deny it. The petrodollar system and budget deficits, which has been financing our lifestyles for decades, are wholly dependent on the strength of our military power, and selling protection to allied countries. Ultimately, military power is the only thing holding it all together, without a strong military, the system will collapse and we will all be much the poorer when it does.

Long Live The Empire !!

Last edited by mofford; 04-17-2018 at 11:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2018, 03:14 PM
 
736 posts, read 564,000 times
Reputation: 696
I loved the way he commanded the scene as an actor. The opening scene in Full Metal Jacket is an absolute classic with Vincent D'Onofrio. The line "Wipe that grin off your face, or I will gouge out your eyes and skull f*** you." I remember my staff sargeant in basic training and the talk was similar. I hope 25 years later that training hasn't changed because of snowflakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top