U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2018, 09:56 PM

15,556 posts, read 14,476,313 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed the show. My favorite character was Uncle Charley. He was so dead-pan and said the funniest things.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2018, 09:13 AM

7,500 posts, read 9,909,184 times
I liked the show.

Old 05-23-2018, 04:34 PM

8,084 posts, read 11,604,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post
I'm going to have to find this book too. I watched the show as a kid and still enjoy it today. MeTV runs this show on their early morning line-up and currently they are up to the Barbara-Dodie episodes, respectively Beverly Garland and Dawn Lyn.

There are also a slew of episodes available on You Tube, including the last couple seasons, such as the Chip-Polly years. I always preferred the color episodes with Ernie and Uncle Charley. Never cared for the B/W shows with Mike and Grandpa Bub.

Ernie/Barry Livingston was a cute little guy when he was first introduced but as he moved into his teen years, he developed a raging case of Jerry Mathers-itis, not so cute anymore but kind of awkward and gawky. Stanley Livingston and Barry had a great on-screen rapport though, not surprising as they were actual brothers.
Yes, thanks for the fond memories. It was really quite a lovely show and family friendly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandavaran View Post

Lastly, I'm sure I'm not the only one who fantasized about Katie and Polly. Ummmm.
WHAT!?!?

Old 05-25-2018, 08:26 AM

10,994 posts, read 16,554,986 times
I have not watched it in decades, but liked it back in the 70s. I have never seen any of the B&W episodes as they never showed them. I did not even know they existed until they used a fragment for a flashback scene.

So what was the technique Barry used?

Old 05-26-2018, 12:36 AM

The original black and white was like a different show. Sometimes it was kind of cool. I liked the older brother who was famous from Disney movies. But I preferred Uncle Charley and the newer seasons overall.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I have not watched it in decades, but liked it back in the 70s. I have never seen any of the B&W episodes as they never showed them. I did not even know they existed until they used a fragment for a flashback scene.

So what was the technique Barry used?
Ron's technique was to walk into the background and turn back around, drawing the camera to him.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Yes, thanks for the fond memories. It was really quite a lovely show and family friendly as well.

WHAT!?!?
Lol. Actually I thought the three ladies who played the respective partners of Rob, Chip, and the father's in the later series were exceptionally good looking. There aren't many shows that I could say that of.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:06 AM

It wasn't just those three ladies' looks. But their attitudes. Not just them but also all the other actors on the show in the latter series. With the possible exception of Fred MacMurray. Not that I didn't like him also, but he had a different quality.

Old 05-30-2018, 03:47 PM

5,572 posts, read 3,625,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I might read the book because I liked the show . I know fred macmurray was a millionaire when he passed and left his daughter a slew of money . She believes because he was a penny pincher in those days and he saved his money . just in case some of you did not know that .
Most people who lived or especially grew up during the Great Depression were very tight with their money the rest of their lives. Whenever you hear someone described as cheap, you should take that into account. I know, because both my parents were very frugal when I was growing up. Unfortunately, it worked against me inlayer years because I would spend too much of my slightly better than average income, and was always wishing I had more.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:22 PM

8,158 posts, read 17,824,420 times
When I think of Fred MacMurray , I remember the movie The Cain Mutiny with Humphrey Bogart.
He was mesmerizing in that part and quite a negative character (as he was in Double Indemnity
with Barbara Stanwick ).

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or