Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2018, 05:52 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times

Advertisements

Just like many of us, in complete shock at the news. He seemed to have it all: fame, fortune, good looks (arguably), wealth, and a great job, etc.

What could have motivated this behavior, I wonder?

I immensely enjoyed his shows, his creative use of words and narration. What a talent with an adventurous spirit and open mind.

RIP, Mr. Bourdain, you’ll be sorely missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 10:34 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Without reading this entire thread...was he on antidepressants (or do we know)?

I can't imagine why these people, if they ARE intent on killing themselves, choose -- of all methods -- hanging. That's the very LAST method I would choose. Why, when pills are readily available? Even fumes from a gas oven would be preferable!

Personally, I wonder if all of these deaths by hanging ARE suicide. Seems the authorities always leap at that conclusion very quickly.
What exactly is the relevance of your "method of suicide" opinion? Most people are not here to discuss Suicide 101. Most posters are here to remember the humanity of Anthony Bourdain, his impact on our lives, his shared cooking techniques, food appreciation, and our newly found willingness to engage with others far outside our daily sphere of life, etc.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:39 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
I regret his death but I did not approve of his advocacy for assassination of the president

Old 06-08-2018, 11:46 PM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
He had his demons, and outlined them pretty clearly in the Massachusetts episode of Parts Unknown.
He was always telling us why he was weird.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:05 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.magoo View Post
He was a 'Bad Boy' Chef/person in a good way..

not a 'bad boy' like oily Mario Batali.
I had to look that up. I watched his show a few times years ago, and never paid attention to anything about him again.

Old 06-09-2018, 05:30 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
I regret his death but I did not approve of his advocacy for assassination of the president
It was a joke ,
I'm saddened about his death a feel as though i've lost a friend who i never met in person.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:32 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
So, I saw a clip this morning.Yup...he says he is lucky...but, isn't happy why not...paraphrase.
Been there...why oh why didnt someone get him on anti depressants...like my friends did.
Hanging? That is pretty horrible....this is just so awful.

Maybe someone will come out and say he tried some anti depressants...I dunno.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:13 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,297,939 times
Sad, tough news!

It just goes to show that riches and fame can never/will never fill a hole in the soul and imbalance of brain.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:17 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post

I can't imagine why these people, if they ARE intent on killing themselves, choose -- of all methods -- hanging. That's the very LAST method I would choose. Why, when pills are readily available? Even fumes from a gas oven would be preferable!
Short of a shotgun to the head, hanging is the most effective method of suicide. What pills are so readily available that one would die, and not be rescued and become brain-damaged? There are specifics to the hanging method that are researched that explain how this is effectively carried out. It would appear that those who use these methods have done their research.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:04 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
So, I saw a clip this morning.Yup...he says he is lucky...but, isn't happy why not...paraphrase.
Been there...why oh why didnt someone get him on anti depressants...like my friends did.
Hanging? That is pretty horrible....this is just so awful.

Maybe someone will come out and say he tried some anti depressants...I dunno.

Since "suicidal (not to mention homicidal) impulses" is one of the most common side effects of SSRIs -- ironically enough -- I'd say it's quite likely that he DID try some antidepressants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies