Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 06:21 AM

936 posts, read 812,355 times

Advertisements

It's surprising that Bourdain died by suicide. He seemed too much of a narcissist to kill himself.

When I saw the headline, the first thought that came to my mind was "heroin overdose." He has been very public about his drug use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 06:22 AM

68,282 posts, read 54,079,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterific View Post
Damn. RIP.

One of my coworkers, who is a huge fan, said that despite being sad over his death, she had a feeling watching his shows that he came across as ‘over it’. Has anyone else noticed that?

I don't know if I'd call it being 'over it', to me it seemed the more places he visited the more he realized that despite differences, people from far-flung places are more alike than they may seem at first glance.

He spoke so fondly of his daughter I would have thought him too grounded to take his own life. I see the articles have been mentioning his daughter but not his wife so who knows what his real state of mind was?

I'll miss his shows, I enjoyed food & drink led into so many other areas.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Sad, people who seem to "have it all" - rich, famous, accomplished - what goes wrong?
Many seem unconvinced but I think the old adage 'Money can't buy happiness' is absolutely correct.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:32 AM

4,676 posts, read 3,434,424 times
It was so sad to hear this this morning. I am kind of new to being a food geek. Anthony Bourdain's attitude towards food was something I found very relatable. Most of the other food shows are just too "perky", too "normal".

I hope he has found peace from his demons.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:34 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,245,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Many seem unconvinced but I think the old adage 'Money can't buy happiness' is absolutely correct.
so true, like the designer, I don't know her name that hung herself about a week ago. I only knew that because our daughter, who has been here this past week told us.

As for Anthony, we loved to watch his shows and never even thought about what his personal life might be like. Let's face it, normally most of us do not know about what goes on in celebrity's minds unless it is frong page news. This is so sad. I hope he is at peace now.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:40 AM

10,062 posts, read 12,729,449 times
Bourdain often seemed edgy and intense on TV. I just thought he was a stereotypically brash New Yorker. But perhaps he wasn’t at peace with himself.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:43 AM

403 posts, read 360,931 times
Man.. deaths really do come in 3s. First Avicii, then Kate Spade, now Anthony. RIP. I don't get it..

Old 06-08-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
so true, like the designer, I don't know her name that hung herself about a week ago. I only knew that because our daughter, who has been here this past week told us.

As for Anthony, we loved to watch his shows and never even thought about what his personal life might be like. Let's face it, normally most of us do not know about what goes on in celebrity's minds unless it is frong page news. This is so sad. I hope he is at peace now.

The designer was Kate Spade. Both she and Tony left children behind, I hope they find counseling to help them weather the storms. Being the child of celebrity is no doubt difficult enough without the added burden of dealing with a parent's suicide.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:50 AM

3,317 posts, read 2,307,024 times
Very sad. My condolences to his loved ones.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:56 AM

403 posts, read 360,931 times
I really don't understand all these celebrity suicides (excuse my ignorance). What could possibly drive them to this point (aside from depression)? Could their life be that much harder than the average person trying to work and pay their next rent and bill?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies