U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 05:22 PM
Status: "I feel like going surfing in a hurricane" (set 5 days ago)

946 posts, read 313,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I've been a fan since I got his book, Kitchen Confidential, well before No Reservations. I watched the entire series of NR on Netflix, absolutely loved his perspective. His interview where he talks about Sandra Lee and her Kwanzaa cake is hilarious, too.

The thing is, he was more than aware of how popular and successful he was. Depression is a terrible affliction, and success isn't a cure for it.
My spouse bought me Kitchen Confidential and No Reservations, great reads, both of them. He said if we were ever traveling, the tourist bus would pass me and Tony sitting on the bus with the locals and chickens. I always liked his style of going off the beaten path, a very interesting person and he is missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 05:31 PM

16,841 posts, read 19,444,120 times
Although it's sad he killed himself, I wasn't much of a fan of his show.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:03 PM

14,178 posts, read 17,232,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I was just thinking about this the other day, how many truly talented, loved, and gifted people have taken their own lives. Robin Williams, Belushi (through drugs), Marilynn Monroe, and now Tony Burdain, and so many more. It is sad and amazing that they get to the point where they just want out.
Not to mention the millions you've never even heard of who were equally "truly talented, lived, and gifted people".

I like Bourdain's books (including his novels). I enjoyed his earlier shows, but wasn't enamored of his series on CNN. But I always made a point to try and find what restaurants he visited when we traveled to another city. I'm grateful for his recommendation of Tian Tian for Haiwanese Chicken Rice in Singapore. No, Tian Tian wasn't that good - but Maxwell Market was amazing.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:20 PM

11,247 posts, read 13,762,274 times
Loved his shows and storytelling abilities. He’ll be missed in our house. Sometimes you don’t know what lurks beneath someone’s exterior. I read that he was a perfectionist and gave it all to every episode. At the end of filming, he escaped to his room to decompress. Probably was so exhausted, he wanted to escape.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:50 AM

4,446 posts, read 3,095,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I really am regretting I wasn't much aware if him, beyond the name and reputation.

Anthony Bourdain: The Man Who Ate the World
By James Poniewozik

Anthony Bourdain understood that eating was simply a way of taking the world inside you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/a...ain-death.html
I thought the title was mispelled and the thread was going to be about sausage.

Old 06-21-2018, 06:17 PM

53,611 posts, read 37,759,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I thought the title was mispelled and the thread was going to be about sausage.

Well, he was a big fan of blood sausage!

Somehow I think he'd be amused if his obit identified him as Anthony Boudin.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:28 PM

26,816 posts, read 17,234,614 times
I loved watching him, he seems like he would have been a heck of a fun guy. I enjoyed his book too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum (on loan)

Old 06-25-2018, 03:52 PM

53,611 posts, read 37,759,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I loved watching him, he seems like he would have been a heck of a fun guy. I enjoyed his book too.

You may want to check your local library as there are a number of them, I can't remember the titles off hand but I've enjoyed the ones I've read.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:27 AM

3,798 posts, read 3,711,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I've been a fan since I got his book, Kitchen Confidential, well before No Reservations. I watched the entire series of NR on Netflix, absolutely loved his perspective. His interview where he talks about Sandra Lee and her Kwanzaa cake is hilarious, too.

The thing is, he was more than aware of how popular and successful he was. Depression is a terrible affliction, and success isn't a cure for it.
Yeah, I think success, particularly his fame probably made him more likely to commit suicide. Anthony had a big escapist side to his personality and when you are famous, you have more to escape from. And depression to someone not famous like me isn't as big a deal. Bourdain had legions of fans wanting 'in' on his coolness which was only a portion of his being.

Back to the OP, I will continue to appreciate Bourdain. I'll read more of his books, watch more episodes. He left us with a lot. The main thing I'll miss going forward was his take on the world and his leftist politics. He probably would have retired from his shows but he would not have stopped writing and making appearances.

Old 06-26-2018, 10:43 AM

3,686 posts, read 3,235,152 times
Appreciated him since the beginning.
Since his death I've been reading his peers commentary on their loss of a great friend.
To me it seems the older he became the more entrenched he became in politics and recognizing the plight of the underprivileged.
I feel he witnessed much sadness in his travels as his career took a more humanitarian approach.
Coupled with "that" last girlfriend and her cause, his mental state couldn't take it anymore.

I read where he and CNN colleague were
Begining to collaborate and start a political story beyond proportions.
Sadly, we will never see this.

Sadly we will never see this.
I am going to be honest, I don't understand depression. Although my father chose to end his life by his own hand, the questions still remain for our family. WE thought we knew how to help him, but ultimately he made his choice .
Tony and Dad,
We miss you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities