U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2018, 02:34 PM

8,218 posts, read 8,498,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Appreciated him since the beginning.
Since his death I've been reading his peers commentary on their loss of a great friend.
To me it seems the older he became the more entrenched he became in politics and recognizing the plight of the underprivileged.
I feel he witnessed much sadness in his travels as his career took a more humanitarian approach.
I would like to imagine that as we get older - and, I hope, wiser - that we would all tend to become more political in the best sense, to recognize societal problems and speak up and/or act.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 05:49 AM

54,145 posts, read 38,225,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Yeah, I think success, particularly his fame probably made him more likely to commit suicide. Anthony had a big escapist side to his personality and when you are famous, you have more to escape from. And depression to someone not famous like me isn't as big a deal. Bourdain had legions of fans wanting 'in' on his coolness which was only a portion of his being.

Back to the OP, I will continue to appreciate Bourdain. I'll read more of his books, watch more episodes. He left us with a lot. The main thing I'll miss going forward was his take on the world and his leftist politics. He probably would have retired from his shows but he would not have stopped writing and making appearances.

According to a May 2017 article in Smithsonian magazine, there were plans to refurbish the derelict Cunard Lines pier on the west side of Manhattan including creating America's largest food court to be overseen by Bourdain. I could imagine him bringing the world's greatest street foods to NYC!

Old 10-08-2018, 08:35 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,083,942 times
I read this just today regarding Anthony Bourdain (RIP):

"Anthony Bourdain was a chef, a writer, a TV host, and a celebrity. He taught people that brunch was a scam, that writing is a noble act as well as a narcissistic one, that you really only need one outfit when you travel, and that selling out when you donít have to is one of the fouler things a privileged person chooses to do. But more than that, Bourdain taught people that one of the most reliably good parts of humanity is getting the chance to learn ó and succumbing to it."

His philosophy never ceased to intrigue me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities