U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 03:39 PM

7,763 posts, read 8,134,665 times

Advertisements

I really am regretting I wasn't much aware if him, beyond the name and reputation.

Anthony Bourdain: The Man Who Ate the World
By James Poniewozik

Anthony Bourdain understood that eating was simply a way of taking the world inside you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/a...ain-death.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 03:44 PM

1,101 posts, read 372,747 times
It's clear that Bourdain had no idea how much the world loved him. He clearly would have been surprised by the degree of outpouring of love and grief over the last ten days.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:46 AM

20,766 posts, read 21,873,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
It's clear that Bourdain had no idea how much the world loved him. He clearly would have been surprised by the degree of outpouring of love and grief over the last ten days.
I know it's not how depression works, but I wonder if he'd have been able to see the effect he had on people if it would have made any difference.

I didn't think I was a big fan before he died, but I listened to a 2011 interview with Bourdain on Marc Maron's podcast (REPOST - Anthony Bourdain from 2011), and I can't believe he's not around to talk about food anymore.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:19 AM

12,454 posts, read 20,624,737 times
I've been a fan since I got his book, Kitchen Confidential, well before No Reservations. I watched the entire series of NR on Netflix, absolutely loved his perspective. His interview where he talks about Sandra Lee and her Kwanzaa cake is hilarious, too.

The thing is, he was more than aware of how popular and successful he was. Depression is a terrible affliction, and success isn't a cure for it.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:10 PM

7,700 posts, read 7,067,817 times
I've been a fan since his days at Les Halles and his first book. Being that my husband is in the business, we actually met him through a mutual friend.

The world is truly a lesser place without him.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:33 PM

2,221 posts, read 752,135 times
I was stunned at my own reaction when I heard the news. I worked for a consultant company in NYC that helped any and all food service establishments and my H got me Kitchen Confidential for a gift. Our company president was reading it, too, and it put Anthony Bourdain on my radar. Especially as I knew someone with a friend who was a regular at the Rainbow Room and stuck up about it. (hee hee)

I watched some No Reservations and found them interesting, was surprised CNN picked him up, but was always interested by the show. It was a better look at the world than all the political stuff put together. And there were lots of shows, always there for a late night fill-in if you were up. And that's how I felt when I heard he was gone: no, you can't be gone, you're supposed to be there. I was also surprised by the outpouring of love and heartbreak for him. I'm glad not to be alone in feeling this.

But no, none of it would have saved him. None of it did. RIP.

Old 06-19-2018, 12:50 PM

7,198 posts, read 9,998,847 times
I'll miss him enormously.

Old 06-19-2018, 01:31 PM
Status: "His 'alternative facts' go marching on!" (set 19 days ago)

51,711 posts, read 36,669,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I've been a fan since I got his book, Kitchen Confidential, well before No Reservations. I watched the entire series of NR on Netflix, absolutely loved his perspective. His interview where he talks about Sandra Lee and her Kwanzaa cake is hilarious, too.

The thing is, he was more than aware of how popular and successful he was. Depression is a terrible affliction, and success isn't a cure for it.

I think success and acclaim can often work against creative types who are never satisfied with what they've created and often feel the success and acclaim is unwarranted.

Old 06-19-2018, 02:55 PM

1,189 posts, read 327,399 times
My husband and I are not fond of too many foreign foods, but we love travelogue programs! A Bourdain's programs were very educational and he often went to places way off the beaten path. Eating is something we all need to do, and his low-key, genuine way of talking to people about the food they eat was a gift and a great learning experience. R.I.P., Anthony.

Old 06-19-2018, 03:07 PM

14,364 posts, read 8,874,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I really am regretting I wasn't much aware if him, beyond the name and

reputation.

I am like you, I watched some of his shows, and liked him, but really never knew much about the man. Wish I had.

Anthony Bourdain: The Man Who Ate the World
By James Poniewozik

Anthony Bourdain understood that eating was simply a way of taking the world inside you.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/a...ain-death.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
I was just thinking about this the other day, how many truly talented, loved, and gifted people have taken their own lives. Robin Williams, Belushi (through drugs), Marilynn Monroe, and now Tony Burdain, and so many more. It is sad and amazing that they get to the point where they just want out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities