U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 05:55 PM

1,242 posts, read 418,155 times

Advertisements

Stan Lee is older.

Quote:
The New York Police Department confirmed his death to The Hollywood Reporter. No cause of death was announced. Ditko was found dead in his apartment on June 29 and it is believed he died about two days earlier.

In 1961, Ditko and Lee created Spider-Man. Lee, the editor-in-chief at Marvel Comics, gave Ditko the assignment after he wasn't satisfied with Jack Kirby's take on the idea of a teen superhero with spider powers.

The look of Spider-Man the costume, the web shooters, the red and blue design all came from Ditko. Spider-Man first appeared in Amazing Fantasy No. 15.

The comic was an unexpected hit and the character was spun off into The Amazing Spider-Man. Ditko helped create such classic Spider-Man characters as Doctor Octopus, Sandman, the Lizard, and Green Goblin. Starting with issue No. 25 Ditko received a plot credit in addition to his artist credit. Ditko's run ended with issue No. 38.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...was-90-1125489
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 08:04 AM

4,200 posts, read 5,430,598 times
Didn't know he was an Ayn Rand devotee. Great artist and writer never the less.

Old 07-08-2018, 04:19 AM

21,870 posts, read 5,386,838 times
I was a massive fan as a kid of Steve Ditko. Nobody, except maybe Jack Kirby was of his standard.

His art was so beautiful to see, and he improved massively over the few years he drew Spiderman. The last ten issues of the comic that he drew are just breathtaking examples of comic book art.

When he suddenly left Marvel, and John Romita took over drawing Spiderman, there was also a massive change in Peter Parker's character, with him going to college. Apparently, Ditko clashed with Stan Lee on this issue, and quit.

As a 12 year old kid at the time, I wrote to Stan Lee about this! What Stan must have thought of this little kid angrily demanding that Steve Ditko return to Marvel comics, gawd only knows. He wrote me a wonderful hand written letter, on Marvel official stationary. All round the edges of the letter were small drawings of different Marvel characters.

Stan avoided talking about Ditko, but wrote me a beautiful letter thanking me for my interest, and passion for his characters. He ended the letter with 'Hang Loose!" Love, Stan Lee. Somehow, in later years I lost the letter which annoys me to this day.

Ditko went on to draw other characters like the Blue Beetle for small time, compared to Marvel, companies. I bought everything I found that he drew, even though the stories were quite poor really. But his art was better than ever.

His comic book art was so distinctive, and different to anyone else in his field. His work was instantly recognisable. He is, and will be fondly remembered by all fans of the comic book art form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or