U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 02:03 PM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times

Advertisements

I am sorry to hear about her death, she gave me an incredible amount of musical pleasure for many decades.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 02:11 PM

7,183 posts, read 4,636,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You can't even let a National Treasure RIP without making it about something political.

Shame on you.
I know, there is a time and place for everything, and this is not it.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:20 PM

30,402 posts, read 9,086,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Fabulous song! I'm deeply saddened. Aretha and Miles Davis were the soundtrack of my youth. My parents were HUGE fans.

https://wwe.youtube.com/watch?v=dEWuAcMWDLY

I can't get enough of that song lol, so thank you for that and the accompanying slide show!

Another song that isn't mentioned as often as it should be, is the always-uplifting I Say a Little Prayer.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:32 PM

5,046 posts, read 597,010 times
She was definitely an inspiration to many. Remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynR1XmQruoo

And I mean no DIS-respect to Aretha by posting this!

Old 08-16-2018, 07:00 PM

8,707 posts, read 2,321,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It's 909am Central Time on 8/16/18 and I just heard on the radio that she passed away moments ago.

RIP Aretha.

While typing this it popped into my head..........she will share a day and month of death with Elvis, who died 41 years ago today.
I remember when I first heard Adele sing.

My first thought....She (Adele) may have the second most soulful singing voice I've ever heard....with #1 Aretha ahead of her.

Today is also Madonna's 60th birthday.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:59 AM

22,225 posts, read 5,502,709 times
I remember buying 'I Say a Little Prayer For You' in the late 60s. I played it over, and over again. Aretha Franklin Was an amazing singer, who uplifted the soul. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ifw8JhDBvs

Old 08-17-2018, 07:57 PM
BMI

6,516 posts, read 3,788,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I remember buying 'I Say a Little Prayer For You' in the late 60s. I played it over, and over again. Aretha Franklin Was an amazing singer, who uplifted the soul. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ifw8JhDBvs
Aretha did an amazing job on it. Powerhouse vocals.

I heard Dionne Warwick’s version first...not sure which version I prefer.
Dionne had a bigger hit with it, took it to number 4 in late 1967.
Aretha’s grittier version reached number 10 in the summer of 68.
Written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David....two of the best.

Here is a list of some of her biggest hits....

Respect ....released april 1967.....number 1
Written by Otis Redding....far better than his 1965 version.

Natural Woman....released september 1967....numbef 8
Written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King. Fantastic song, a real classic.

Chain of Fools ....released november 1967.....number 2
Written by Don Covey.

Think....released may 1968.....number 7

Rock Steady.....released february 1971....number 9
Written by Aretha Franklin!

Day Dreaming....released february 1972 ....number 5
Written by Aretha Franklin.

Until You Come Back to Me ....released novembef 1973 ....number 3
Written by Stevie Wonder.

Freeway of Love .....released june 1985.....number 3
Wriiten by Jeffrey Cohen and Narada Walden.

Who’s Zoomin’ Who......released august 1985.....number 7

Sisters are Doin’ It For Themselves......released october 1985....number 18
Duet with Annie Lennox. Written by Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart.

I Knew You Were Waiting.....released january 1987....number 1
Duet with George Michael. Written by Simon Climie and Dennis Morgan.

Aretha always had that big powerful voice but it wasn’t until she switched over
to Atlantic Records in late 1966 that she starting having bigs hits that eluded her
with Columbia Records ...she released 10 albums while signed to Columbia from 1960 to 1966,
but her highest chart position was a relatively low 57.

Here’s some trivia....most of her best loved hits in the late 60s
were recorded down in Muscle Shoals, Alabama featuring “The Swampers”,
the south’s version of LA’s “Wrecking Crew”...a bunch of young white cats
that could lay down R&B with the best, younger than Aretha...most born in 1943.

Last edited by BMI; 08-17-2018 at 08:14 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 09:39 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,968,048 times
I read a story she told in a magazine (before 1980), she recounted that an record exec came to her father's Church to hear her Sister sing. While her Sister was singing Aretha started singing in the bathroom and the exec knew who he would be signing.

I do not remember what magazine the story was in, but as the young of two sister's, I could fully appreciate the story.

I have loved Aretha since I was a young girl. Her voice was so very beautiful and powerful. Rest, lovely lady with the voice of an angel.

Old 08-18-2018, 12:04 PM

14,967 posts, read 8,529,518 times
I wouldn't say little attention, several notable people have died from it and each time it made big news, like Patrick Swayze, Steve Jobs, Michael Landon. Ruth Bader Ginsburg has so far survived from I believe the Whipple procedure.

Aretha Franklin Died Of A Particularly Deadly Cancer That Gets Little Attention

Quote:
“Pancreatic cancer is projected to become the second leading cause of cancer death in the United States by 2020,” Dr. Diane Simeone, professor of surgery and director of the pancreatic cancer center at NYU Langone Health, told HuffPost. “What has been traditionally thought of as an uncommon cancer is actually increasing in frequency.”

In the United States, an estimated 55,440 new cases of pancreatic cancer will be diagnosed and about 44,330 people will die from the disease this year, according to the American Cancer Society. For experts, the distressing single-figure survival rate means it’s one of the deadliest major cancers and more must be done to help those at risk.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:16 PM

30,402 posts, read 9,086,867 times
Pancreatic cancer may be on the rise, but it's always been a scourge. Donna Reed, Henry Mancini, Fernando Lamas, Dizzy Gillespie, Jack Benny, Simone Signoret, Anna Magnani, Rex Harrison, Juliet Prowse, Vince Edwards, Pernell Roberts....Pavarotti, Sally Ride, that Cars singer, Anne Francis, Fred Gwynne, Joe Bologna, John Hurt...

I'd be more inclined to say, People are still suffering and dying from that disease?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities