U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 08:12 PM

3,719 posts, read 3,005,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I remember paying $100 a seat in 1984 for front row center (Seats #1 and #2, Row 1) for a big name concert from a ticket broker in California. Seats in the second row (albeit table seating), in the section just to the left of center, for Lady Gaga's December 28th show at the Monte Carlo in Las Vegas are $5,500 each plus fees from Ticketmaster.
Tough luck. No such thing as "too expensive," only insufficient income or will.

I bought front row stage right in Lincoln, Nebraska for Rush in 2015 for about $400, cheapest in the country. That, plane flight and overnight in Lincoln was less than the cost of-same in my home town, Seattle, which was $1,300 for front row (aftermarket). Great show in Lincoln, plus a mini-vacation too. Suffice to say I'll never be in Lincoln again, though.

$275 for Rush c. 15th row center, main floor, MGM Grand Thanksgiving 2012. Helluva deal plus a couple days in Vegas, a more-interesting destination for sure.

There are relative deals to be found, on super groups. I see the 'Stones are coming to Seattle May 2019; smallest venue looks like Jacksonville, FL. Might want to work it that way. See 'will', above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,883 posts, read 52,179,635 times
With streaming now, the artists make their money on concerts, actual media sales are way down from the old days when we could go to a big name concert for $5 or less. I went to many when living near San Francisco in the late 60s-early 70s, but also spent a lot of money on record albums, then 8 track tapes, and eventually cassettes. By the time the CD came out

it was starting to shift to higher priced concerts and more streaming or illegal copying.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ry-since-1999/

Old 11-26-2018, 11:10 AM

11,592 posts, read 17,111,499 times
I payed $16.50 to bag a 3rd row seat to see the Stones on the 1981 tour. Still had to hit the old man up for some t-shirt money.

I scalped for their 1989 tour and payed $85 for a nosebleed seat.

The upcoming 2019 tour? I shudder to think about it.

Old 11-26-2018, 01:57 PM

1,516 posts, read 824,684 times
Or, you could become a professional concert photographer and be up front for the first 3 songs. Sadly, this too, is disappearing for free lancers unless you work for a newspaper or magazine, on line or print. Or, you get relegated to the soundboard.

I used to do this for the Seattle Weekly until 2008 and the Great Recession. I shot UFO, My Morning Jacket, Ten Years After, Queensryche, Jethro Tull for them or free lance. I used to shoot for a Midwest Festival but the bands they signed were more of the extreme heavy metal. But, I did get up front for the first three for a Iron Maiden, Def Leoperd, Halestorm, Slipknot, Shinedown, Judas Priest, Rob Zombie, KISS, Marilyn Manson, and Johnny Depp with Alice Cooper to name a few.

P

Old 11-27-2018, 11:09 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,105,599 times
The market decides, why charge $10 when people are willing to pay $20,why charge $20 when people are willing to pay $40 and so on.Plus don't forget bands make very little from cd sales that's to the internet.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:09 PM

883 posts, read 234,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
The market decides, Ö..
Yes. Supply and Demand. Simple Econ 101.

Old 11-29-2018, 11:45 PM

20,879 posts, read 21,049,849 times
because that one guy figured out how to pirate artists copyrighted music and now they're trying to get even

Old 11-30-2018, 12:52 AM

7,810 posts, read 8,263,194 times
As someone who used to help prepare the US tour budgets for some of the acts mentioned, I can offer some speculation for the ticket increase. Many of these concerts have turned into large-scale spectacles. It's not enough to have fireworks like the Stones introduced which made the audience gasp. Insurance with all of these extras has also increased and a good chunk of the expense is the insurance. Security has also become a big expense. IMO, the main reason is the economic change in the industry. A generation ago, live tours supported record sales. Acts would tour to promote their albums. If they were lucky, they might break even, but it was often a money loser. The exception would be The Rolling Stones (who had their own special deals and would make money touring). The sales through the mechanicals and airplay generated big income. Now, the bread and butter is live tours and having something new and fresh to play during a concert keeps the act relevant. Few make any money from new music releases. Merchandising also used to make artists a lot of money. I don't know if it still does at this point since anyone with a printer can knock off a band logo or picture and I don't know if it pays to litigate as much as they did in the past. Promoters are also cutting costs by having more concerts where the audience stands the whole time (can get more people in a smaller space).

Old 12-01-2018, 01:09 AM

449 posts, read 81,942 times
Rolling Stones, summer 1978, Anaheim Stadium, right in front of the stage, $15.

Eagles (the originals, not the current fake group), Santa Monica Civic, $5.

Fleetwood Mac, Greek Theatre, 2nd row center, $20.

US Festival, I think it was $40, maybe less, Van Halen among others

Pink Floyd, $17

Rod Stewart, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Led Zeppelin, Tom Petty, Neil Young, Gordon Lightfoot, Prince, Elvis Costello, Pretenders, Elvis Presley, Robert Palmer, great seats, no break the bank prices.

None of these were nosebleed seats, some were general admission, the Stones in particular.

For a more current comparison, I can remember my daughter and her friends going to Coachella. She paid for it from her after-school job earnings, and it was just a standard festival. Now it’s some gigantic, expensive spectacle.

Can’t think of any more off the top of my head, and I know my personal examples are from the dinosaur era when we flicked our BIC instead of shining our smart phones, but concerts were a regular part of my life. And this is when all the above groups/artists were in their prime. Something is twisted.

No offense, but $400 for Rush in 2015? Uh, no.

Last edited by happygrrrl; 12-01-2018 at 02:05 AM..

Old 01-27-2019, 11:06 PM

3,719 posts, read 3,005,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post

Canít think of any more off the top of my head, and I know my personal examples are from the dinosaur era when we flicked our BIC instead of shining our smart phones, but concerts were a regular part of my life. And this is when all the above groups/artists were in their prime. Something is twisted.

No offense, but $400 for Rush in 2015? Uh, no.
And none taken. I wanted to be in the front row for a major group and Rush is right up there at the tip-top of stellar concert performances; Google that if interested, if you like the music or not. Yes, though, I'm one of "those" fans of that band, since 1982. I'm not a concert freak but have probably seen them 20 times in thirty-three years (as of '15) in cities from 'Vegas to Lincoln to Toledo to Detroit to...so for me, that was a peculiar situation.

Further, there were rumblings of a break up and everyone knew it was coming, just not when, and it so happened this was their last tour after all. So "I was there!" last couple tours (including Clockwork Angels, 2012-3), literally close as you can get, stage left (Geddy Lee's feet, the bassist/keyboardist/singer, if you don't know). Nothing like it, can't stress that enough. Couple years prior at aforementioned was fourth row, stage right, with perfect sight lines in Vancouver WA on the same theory.

I don't begrudge any of them one dime of it, the aftermarket (where I get all my tickets) is offering at market prices: supply / demand curve.

This is, quite literally, what I saw (1x from an awesome smartphone camera). Imagine the sound, and excitement, and tell me that's not a "lifetime experience." I've paid thousands more $ for experiences and trips that were not as interesting!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or