U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 02:44 AM

996 posts, read 403,718 times

Advertisements

This is a “whatever the market will bear” question. They charge the most they think they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 03:50 AM

2,723 posts, read 3,783,855 times
As mentioned in several posts it is what the market will bear and also if the public's appetite is willing to pay the ticket prices.

My days of concerts have long passed. I to am one of those older back in the day guys

The 70's and 80's were full of those great bands who would fill coliseums and stadiums and whose tickets averaged maybe $7 in the 70's to $14 in the early 80's.

I wonder who will be touring at these popular amphitheaters in ten years as around here the likes of Steve Miller, Journey, Styx, etc. are keeping them full with their geriatric tours.

On a side note.....our local base MWR bought a bunch of tickets for Monster Trucks and subsidized the price to about $12.50 a ticket for what was $60 tickets. These were some of the cheap tickets. It really hit home how much it hits the pockets for families for some of these events like Disney on Ice and the Harlem Globe Trotters.

Having not been to an event like this in years I unfortunately promised my daughters snow cones

The snow cones had to be bought in a plastic cup held in place with a plastic tire and plastic connecting rod handle. $15, the lighted cup was $17.50. I kept my face straight and told her to pick a flavor and was told there was just one flavor. Cotton Candy was $12 as it came with a mask!

I know these are signs of the times and plenty of event goers were gladly spending their money but for this guy it was eye opening

Old 01-29-2019, 09:48 AM

8,803 posts, read 6,490,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
Good question.....a bit of greed perhaps....

Back in the day....almost 50 years ago....concert tickets were cheaper...even factoring inflation,
and purchasing power....

Here is cool example...

On May 25 1969 Led Zeppelin opened for The Who....two amazing legendary bands,
played at the Merriweather Post Pavillion in Columbia, MD ....

Ticket price....$5.75....yes .....for just over 5 bucks you were treated to hearing
Led Zeppelin playing songs from their debut album and they even played “Whole Lotta Love”
from their yet to be released 2nd album....then the mighty Who came on and ripped through their
90 minute set, including then brand new “Tommy” album songs.

Ears ringing....face smiling

Even around 1980 you could see The Who for about $14 or so...

Ticket prices began to get much steeper in the 90s....

"Back in the day... " concerts were pretty straight forward affairs.. Band/singer comes out.. Sings.. "Thank you, folks, drive safe"

NOW.. there's $10 million LED screens. there's artists swinging over the audience.. There's pyro, custom guitars that are thrown out into the audience.. There's a little bit of everything.. Which costs a whole lot more.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:30 AM

10,127 posts, read 2,736,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
The Dead Milkmen (1989) free

Sting (1995) $35 per ticket

Depeche Mode (2001) $75 per ticket (2006) $175 per ticket

Madonna (2001) $250 per ticket

Rush (2003) $125 per ticket

The Cure (2008) $96 per ticket (2016) $45 per ticket

Juliet Lewis (2016) $25 per ticket

Billy Joel (2016) $100 per ticket

No doubt $35 per ticket
U2 $65
Tori Amos $40/$60

These are concerts I have seen and what I paid. I do think ticket prices can be outrageous, but we love concerts and I’m willing to treat myself.
Good choices .

Old 01-31-2019, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Tough luck. No such thing as "too expensive," only insufficient income or will.

I bought front row stage right in Lincoln, Nebraska for Rush in 2015 for about $400, cheapest in the country. That, plane flight and overnight in Lincoln was less than the cost of-same in my home town, Seattle, which was $1,300 for front row (aftermarket). Great show in Lincoln, plus a mini-vacation too. Suffice to say I'll never be in Lincoln again, though.

$275 for Rush c. 15th row center, main floor, MGM Grand Thanksgiving 2012. Helluva deal plus a couple days in Vegas, a more-interesting destination for sure.

There are relative deals to be found, on super groups. I see the 'Stones are coming to Seattle May 2019; smallest venue looks like Jacksonville, FL. Might want to work it that way. See 'will', above.
Feel free to reread my post. I wasn't complaining, nor saying I couldn't afford it. Just pointing out the change.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
With streaming now, the artists make their money on concerts, actual media sales are way down from the old days when we could go to a big name concert for $5 or less. I went to many when living near San Francisco in the late 60s-early 70s, but also spent a lot of money on record albums, then 8 track tapes, and eventually cassettes. By the time the CD came out

it was starting to shift to higher priced concerts and more streaming or illegal copying.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ry-since-1999/
The bolded was one of my first two thoughts when I saw the thread title. The other was 'so expensive' depends on a person's POV. A friend of mine paid 20k each for herself and her SO to see Streisand on her 'farewell tour' (included participation in a meet and greet). I got sick and couldn't go, but I was planning to fly to Europe to attend a band's last concert.

Old 01-31-2019, 04:59 AM

10,926 posts, read 3,678,917 times
Two words. Free Market.

In the defense of the artists - they don't make much on the sales of the music any longer, so they try to recoup it with the live shows. Some concerts are still decently priced, but you have to pick and choose. I won't do the $100 ticket for anyone.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:07 AM

5,444 posts, read 2,466,808 times
Stage hands,security,utilities,theater rental. Insurance . Set dynamics. Wardrobe. Travel. All carried into the overhead of such productions. Then there is the commision from the ticket seller..ticket master.

I stopped going when it was less about the music . Our public park does plenty of enjoyable performances that aren't hyped ..and none of us are being hit up for gimmicks of cds tshirts. Parking is free and security is standard .

No one in the bands needed fireworks or glow Sticks. Just an audience who behaved and respected their talents.

Kudos if you can pay 20k for a once in a lifetime event...you are a fool and his money soon part example.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:52 PM

56,326 posts, read 39,659,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
"Back in the day... " concerts were pretty straight forward affairs.. Band/singer comes out.. Sings.. "Thank you, folks, drive safe"

NOW.. there's $10 million LED screens. there's artists swinging over the audience.. There's pyro, custom guitars that are thrown out into the audience.. There's a little bit of everything.. Which costs a whole lot more.

I remember Fillmore East featuring the Joshua Light Show which seemed little more than an overhead projector with some fluids being pushed around on it. But I remember!

Old 02-01-2019, 09:27 AM

2,101 posts, read 923,184 times
I usually get the cheapest lawn seats, which run 30-45 bucks. Sometimes I splurge to get closer to favorite bands. What gets me is the fees on fees through ticket sites/venues. My $35 ticket doubles in price lol

But I enjoy going, so I don't mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or