U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 03:50 PM

12,645 posts, read 5,937,651 times

Advertisements

I saw Foo Fighters 5 times this year. Every ticket was $100 thru Ticketmaster except the one ticket I got thru a third party seller, Vivid Seats. That ticket was I believe $200 but whatever, I paid it because they're my favorite band. Ticketmaster released some GA tickets for the Foo show tonight in Atlanta. With fees, those tickets are almost $300.....again, I'd pay it if I had the money which right now, I don't. I don't know why tickets are so expensive but for me, $100/ticket is peanuts especially if you get on the rail & Dave Grohl is sweating right in your face. Best experience ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 07:38 PM

6,752 posts, read 7,746,128 times
I have no qualms about paying $300-500 for a first five rows center ticket to one of my favorite acts.

I do have a problem with paying $30 for parking, $15 a beer, $40 for a T shirt, ect....

I know... weird, right?

Old 02-05-2019, 04:43 PM

197 posts, read 130,671 times
Pure greed. Not merely capitalism at work.

What gets me are all the has-beens that charge these prices.

Cher--- for example expects hundreds of dollars. a ticket .

Even factoring inflation, it is more than she would have got in her prime.
and I like her music.

It is not only music stars. Some comedians also--they have no band to pay,
no technical people.

Old 02-05-2019, 04:46 PM

402 posts, read 94,260 times
There are no humans worth those prices. Dead or alive.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:03 PM

1,968 posts, read 711,796 times
why?
baby-boomers pay the price.
most (not all) of the Big Ticket concerts
that i know about include over 50 year-old
fronts, guitar players, and drummers.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:07 PM

11,735 posts, read 7,131,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnelian View Post
Pure greed. Not merely capitalism at work.

What gets me are all the has-beens that charge these prices.

Cher--- for example expects hundreds of dollars. a ticket .

Even factoring inflation, it is more than she would have got in her prime.
and I like her music.
It is not only music stars. Some comedians also--they have no band to pay,
no technical people.
"Greed?"? that's the common excuse for people who envy those whose talents, and the wise use of them, enable them to live better, and whose sort-sight can't allow them to see beyond the here-and-now.

Purchasers of concert tickets tend to cluster around two extremes; If they're young and impressionable (star-struck), either somebody else is furnishing the wherewithal or they're enjoying a windfall (often temporary); or they're of mature years, family obligations met and careers established.

Those in between are simply facing the hard choices most of us face during the intervening stages of family life; and most of them made the choice on their own.

It's not "greed"; it's called "life".

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 02-05-2019 at 05:24 PM..

Old 02-05-2019, 05:11 PM

34,426 posts, read 23,949,843 times
Go support local and/or smaller bands. No shortage of shows where you can see 3-4 really good bands for $10-15 even in pricier markets. I do/did it all the time in SF, NYC, Boston, etc.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:54 PM

1,548 posts, read 621,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Many of these celebs are worth hundreds of millions. Could they give the average person a break on ticket prices. For example the Stones are collectively worth 1 billion dollars and tickets for their concerts average $370.
Aside from the obvious needing to pay back stadium rentals/dancers/publicists/photographers/etc. etc. Because you can never have enough money. There's a certain satisfaction in making more and more. Even if you have millions in the bank, knowing you're profiting still feels good, and to watch your bank account grow still feels good, even if you will never use it all in your lifetime (or even your children's lifetime). Stock brokers feel the same way, not just celebrities.

Besides, the singer spends enormous amount of work and effort to get a concert ready. Profit is their reward for the physical and mental labor, and toll of touring it takes.

Or you can be like Garth Brooks and make every ticket $1, but notice no one else is jumping on that bandwagon. Everyone would rather make money. Who wouldn't? On the other hand, though I've always wondered if he lost money on that his tour. Maybe he did and that's why he never did it again and why no one else does it.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:46 PM

3,727 posts, read 3,387,422 times
Whatever the reason I'm sad my teen will never be able to experience the live concert feeling.
Back in the 80's I was a teen with a job.
Most of my money went to concerts and the coveted concert shirt.
Those days are long gone.
Journey Zz Top, Reo, Van Halen
30.00 bucks a ticket with a 20.00 shirt.

Then the 90's where the tickets were a whopping 50 bucks for Lisa Stanfield, Eurythmics,
Cindy Lauper, Janet Jackson, Eric Clapton.

Teen wanted to go see Panic at the Disco or in the Disco, dont remember the name....
Sorry honey 135.00 for nosebleed section is not in our budget.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:28 PM

6,338 posts, read 10,511,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Indeed, the Rolling Stones could tour for free. But why would they?

Would you sell your home for $400,000 if the market would bear a price of $600,000? I didn't think so. How about not having a television (another complete luxury) and donating however much it would have cost you to buy it to a charitable organization that feeds homeless children? Or making due with a $20 flip-phone from Target instead of a smart-phone, and similarly donating the proceeds? "But they're rich and I'm not!" you might say. Well, they're richer than you and I. But 'rich' is relative, and compared to billions of people around the world, someone in the American middle class is fantastically rich.

Concerts are complete luxuries. No one needs them. If there are 65,000 people in a given metro willing to pony up an average of $150/ticket to fill a stadium, why on Earth shouldn't they charge that average price? It's simple supply and demand. If they can sell out at a certain price, then those tickets are by definition worth what they're charging.
That is a load of BS and you know it. Do you honestly want me to believe every asking price of anything is really worth it? Really?

Just because people are forced to pay something doesn't mean it is worth it. If they cornered the market and there is no competition, it becomes monopoly, doesn't it? They are stretching their greed as far as they legally can.

Ticket Master is a legal mafia on concert/venue tickets. Look what happened to Pearl Jam back in the 90s when they went against TM. Even then, it was powerful enough to destroy the careers of quite a few bands like PJ.

I bet, even if a band asked for $1 a head for their concert, the ticket would still be sold at no less than $50 by TM. So, it is fair to say the ticket prices became what they are in the last couple of tickets because people are feeding a hungry, greedy middleman. That is really it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or