U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 06:13 PM

2,677 posts, read 1,358,798 times

Advertisements

Many of these celebs are worth hundreds of millions. Could they give the average person a break on ticket prices. For example the Stones are collectively worth 1 billion dollars and tickets for their concerts average $370.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 06:22 PM

20,712 posts, read 8,738,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Many of these celebs are worth hundreds of millions. Could they give the average person a break on ticket prices. For example the Stones are collectively worth 1 billion dollars and tickets for their concerts average $370.
I think the bands have to be able to cover the cost of the tour, plus make an income. I don't know if they have much input into the prices. When you break down all the many costs, the bands do not get any more than they deserve. They are the main attraction, after all. Without them, no concert, and nobody else makes any money.

It's a business. That is the real reason. It is a business. And inflation.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...icket-money-go

Old 11-25-2018, 01:36 AM
BMI

6,844 posts, read 4,059,494 times
Good question.....a bit of greed perhaps....

Back in the day....almost 50 years ago....concert tickets were cheaper...even factoring inflation,
and purchasing power....

Here is cool example...

On May 25 1969 Led Zeppelin opened for The Who....two amazing legendary bands,
played at the Merriweather Post Pavillion in Columbia, MD ....

Ticket price....$5.75....yes .....for just over 5 bucks you were treated to hearing
Led Zeppelin playing songs from their debut album and they even played “Whole Lotta Love”
from their yet to be released 2nd album....then the mighty Who came on and ripped through their
90 minute set, including then brand new “Tommy” album songs.

Ears ringing....face smiling

Even around 1980 you could see The Who for about $14 or so...

Ticket prices began to get much steeper in the 90s....

Old 11-25-2018, 06:19 AM

1,918 posts, read 697,123 times
Quote:
Indeed, the Rolling Stones could tour for free. But why would they?

Would you sell your home for $400,000 if the market would bear a price of $600,000? I didn't think so. How about not having a television (another complete luxury) and donating however much it would have cost you to buy it to a charitable organization that feeds homeless children? Or making due with a $20 flip-phone from Target instead of a smart-phone, and similarly donating the proceeds? "But they're rich and I'm not!" you might say. Well, they're richer than you and I. But 'rich' is relative, and compared to billions of people around the world, someone in the American middle class is fantastically rich.

Concerts are complete luxuries. No one needs them. If there are 65,000 people in a given metro willing to pony up an average of $150/ticket to fill a stadium, why on Earth shouldn't they charge that average price? It's simple supply and demand. If they can sell out at a certain price, then those tickets are by definition worth what they're charging.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:08 AM

3,935 posts, read 2,113,023 times
The Dead Milkmen (1989) free

Sting (1995) $35 per ticket

Depeche Mode (2001) $75 per ticket (2006) $175 per ticket

Madonna (2001) $250 per ticket

Rush (2003) $125 per ticket

The Cure (2008) $96 per ticket (2016) $45 per ticket

Juliet Lewis (2016) $25 per ticket

Billy Joel (2016) $100 per ticket

No doubt $35 per ticket
U2 $65
Tori Amos $40/$60

These are concerts I have seen and what I paid. I do think ticket prices can be outrageous, but we love concerts and I’m willing to treat myself.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:33 AM

8,548 posts, read 4,277,630 times
A lot of expense goes into putting on a concert. Paying for the venue, local staff, security, touring lighting/sound/set crew, set designers and fabricators, transport (bus, air), insurance, costumers, hair/makeup, choreographers, dancers, musicians, ticket distributor, promoters, agents, months of planning, etc...

You can’t really compare a Beyoncé concert to Tori Amos or The Dead Milkmen, LOL!

Old 11-25-2018, 07:48 AM

2,497 posts, read 2,206,445 times
What gets me is that you can no longer buy them at the venue. Have to go thru Ticket master who ads on a bunch of fees. Was going to get tickets in Atlanta for Son in law and boys for either Globetrotters or Marvels Universe (few days ago) and after searching for affordable, decent seats, I gave up and got them a good foosball table instead. It was $80 just in fees (not inc tax yet).

They used to be much more affordable. I know it cost $ to put it on but percentage wise, it's been quite a jump over the yrs.

I remember in the 70s seeing a triple header, Santana, Mountain w/Leslie West and Allman Bros. $16.00. I had a part time job and could afford it. It was a good amount out of my check tho.
Today, I don't know how a 16 or 17 yr old with a part time job could do it.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:43 AM

3,935 posts, read 2,113,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
A lot of expense goes into putting on a concert. Paying for the venue, local staff, security, touring lighting/sound/set crew, set designers and fabricators, transport (bus, air), insurance, costumers, hair/makeup, choreographers, dancers, musicians, ticket distributor, promoters, agents, months of planning, etc...

You can’t really compare a Beyoncé concert to Tori Amos or The Dead Milkmen, LOL!

True. The work that goes into a Beyoncé concert vs a tori Amos concert is quite different I’m sure. Tori sits on a stage with two pianos. Beyoncé does a whole theatrical experience. Madonna’s show was my most expensive concert and it wasn’t nearly as enjoyable as Rush or Depeche Mode. Honestly, Juliette Lewis puts on a hell of a show too.

I forgot to add The Red Elvises to bands I’ve seen. $15 to see them and their concerts are awesome. Afterwards, they come out and sit in the bar and have drinks with their fans. Probably one of the best live shows in a small venue.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:58 AM

667 posts, read 408,823 times
It's apparently always been a problem. This is from 1969.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...s-tour-173409/

Old 11-25-2018, 03:00 PM

9,940 posts, read 2,669,184 times
Quote:
I remember paying $100 a seat in 1984 for front row center (Seats #1 and #2, Row 1) for a big name concert from a ticket broker in California. Seats in the second row (albeit table seating), in the section just to the left of center, for Lady Gaga's December 28th show at the Monte Carlo in Las Vegas are $5,500 each plus fees from Ticketmaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or